mtbr member

Converting a Klein Mantra Pro 2 1 1.8?

Hey every one i need help looking up the parts to convert this bike to 1 1/8 thanks to UPS F&*King this bike up and i am trying to help the dude i sold it to. Does any one know if i can get a OEM judy crown for this as well he would love to keep this bike OEM if Possible.

Thanks Christopher
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a Klein Mantra Pro 2 1 1.8?-klein.jpg  

My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Call up Fred at Leucadia Cyclery
    Maybe has leftovers.

mtbr member
    always blame the carrier....

IllumaDucati

David at The Mac Address can fix you up with a kit. That's his Mantra shown above.

The Adroit Pro that I converted for myself using his kit had an MC3.1 headset rather than MC2, so you're better off asking him about your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    always blame the carrier....

Yes because this bike was ok till they got it. I have had this bike since day one and never a thing went wrong till UPS got there Sh!!TY hands on it and jacked it.. SO now UPS will never get any of my biz again.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    Yes because this bike was ok till they got it. I have had this bike since day one and never a thing went wrong till UPS got there Sh!!TY hands on it and jacked it.. SO now UPS will never get any of my biz again.

Nice pack job

Seriously, it sucks to have a nice bike damamged in shipping, but judging by the pic, it wasn't protected very well. When I ship stuff, I pack it like it's going to a combat zone....

He be a moose too.
    What type of crown do you have on it? Let's see more of what you have and maybe someone has something. A few pics would help.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

illuminaughty
    I would think a good machine shop could massage that back into shape..

mtbr member
    This is what it looks like up close..This is made of AL so do you guys think it can be put back in to shape?

pinguwin It has the stock judy SL on it, I no longer have this bike to get a closer pic of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a Klein Mantra Pro 2 1 1.8?-klein-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is the only pic i have of the Crown. Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a Klein Mantra Pro 2 1 1.8?-klein-2.jpeg  

Mtn Biker Machinist

Looks like steel

if so, it can possibly be fixed, but if it is indeed AL, it's toast. AL doesn't bend without cracking, so bending it back just brakes its. Magnet will tell if it's steel or not.

So is the steerer too short to cut off the damaged part?

Sucks that happened, but the advice about over-packing is spot on. Even though this may come as a surprise, most UPS employees don't go out of their way to manhandle stuff, but a bike box goes through a lot on it's journey. Better to be over protective than sorry.

frog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    if so, it can possibly be fixed, but if it is indeed AL, it's toast. AL doesn't bend without cracking, so bending it back just brakes its. Magnet will tell if it's steel or not.

So is the steerer too short to cut off the damaged part?

Sucks that happened, but the advice about over-packing is spot on. Even though this may come as a surprise, most UPS employees don't go out of their way to manhandle stuff, but a bike box goes through a lot on it's journey. Better to be over protective than sorry.

frog
    He took a Magnet to it and no luck it's AL , Can't cut it because it will be way short for the mc2 bar and stem to work,,

For over packing who would have thought UPS would F it up.. was told by many Fedex would have taking more care of it even the shop that sent the bike is going to use Fedex because they get a few bikes time to time F UP and they are sick of UPS as well.. UPS is like wal-mart to big to give a Crap .

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher

For over packing who would have thought UPS would F it up.. was told by many Fedex would have taking more care of it even the shop that sent the bike is going to use Fedex because they get a few bikes time to time F UP and they are sick of UPS as well.. UPS is like wal-mart to big to give a Crap .
    doesn't matter who you use to ship, always pack the ever lovin crap outta stuff

given the chance they'll all fcuk it up
    looking for 20-21" P team

He be a moose too.
    I had someone fix something like that similar on my MC2 handle bars. They were able to bend it back without cracking, which isn't that hard, necessarily. They then used a lathe to make an aluminum piece that was pressed into tube. That way, the Al has reinforcment. I've been going strong for years with it.

Whether it would work on this application or not, I don't know but you might consult someone with metallurgical knowledge.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5