mtbr member

Converting 1" head tube to take a 1 1/8" steerer- question

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can either tell me I'm being foolish or ingenious. It's likely to be the former...

I have a '95 Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe with a 1" head tube. I'd like to be able to install a fork with a 1 1/8" steerer. (I know that changing the fork will slacken the geometry and change the handling characteristics and I'm good with that- I've made similar alterations to a '96 Voodoo that I have).

The OD of the head tube is 33.5mm. Let's say I found a 1 1/8" headset with an ID of the cup (where it presses into the frame) of 33.5mm. I could install the cups *outside* the head tube and run a 1 1/8" fork. It would look funny, but I could paint the cups orange to match the bike, I suppose.

The question is- has anyone tried this? Am I looking for trouble in the form of an unsafe modification or damaging my frame?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Jack
    Jack

'95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe
    '96 Voodoo Bizango
    '08 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR Team
    '92 Trek 930 SHX

Sneaker man
    I would have thought the the cups press into the frame and then are stopped by the cup butting up against the frame, if you put them on the outside then 1) any force applied may push the cups further down (or up) the head tube. 2) don't the cups come in the size so you can just fit the steerer inside them? Usually?
    But thats just me thinking, could be totally wrong.

mtbr member
    Hey mik_git, excellent point about the cups getting pressed further onto the tube. That's a deal killer right there. Thanks for saving me the trouble! :-)
    Jack

'96 Voodoo Bizango
    '92 Trek 930 SHX

human dehumidifier
    Someone here had reamed the headtube of an old Schwinn klunker and put an 1-1/8 fork on it. That thinned the head tube so probably not an ideal solution and probably not something you want to do to a nice bike either. Just throwing it out there since I remembered it.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    It wouldn't work, or be safe, for a slew of reasons, but why not find yourself a reputable frame builder and have the head tube replaced and the head angle modified to suit whatever fork you wish to run? IF would probably do it themselves?
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

Certified Bike Junkie
    I know some some people have been able to fit 1-1/8" forks to 1" frames by carefully mixing and matching 1" frame cups with 1-1/8 crown race and top parts. If this is possible, it makes me wonder why no one makes a headset for this application.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Sneaker man
    don't white brothers still do a 1" 80mm fork?

mtbr member
    muddybuddy- that's an interesting thought. I'll dig through my parts bins and see if I can rig up something safe and workable.

OTOH, I'm not far at all from IF. I'm going to give them a call and see what it would cost.
    Jack

'96 Voodoo Bizango
    '92 Trek 930 SHX

Certified Bike Junkie
    Brain fart. Sorry. The one I've seen were on klunker type frames with 1" BMX headset with larger cup skirts than standard 1". Probably won't work with standard 1" head tube.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    I would just run a 1" fork. either rigid or a franken sid.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Someone here had reamed the headtube of an old Schwinn klunker and put an 1-1/8 fork on it. That thinned the head tube so probably not an ideal solution and probably not something you want to do to a nice bike either. Just throwing it out there since I remembered it.
    That was me. I've also mixed and matched parts to fit 1 1/8" to BMX standard but have never had success otherwise.
    Last edited by jeff; 06-07-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Sneaker man
    **hmmm totally OT, wonder why my post is waay up there at #7 rather than at #11... some sort of time zone delorean situation...?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have a look a on the BMX Museum, I think its been done before......

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    don't white brothers still do a 1" 80mm fork?
    Yup. 2011 Loop.

Attachment 618730
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 04:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    eBay....I looked at a several 1" forks over the course of two months to find this marzocchi....a bit more travel then I needed, but a very nice fork... My first complete new build project...just finished

Converting 1" head tube to take a 1 1/8" steerer- question-img_5657.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice frame but it looks like a 120mm travel fork. I think it's about 40mm too long. Kinda jacks up the front end too much. How's the ride with that fork? Reminds me of this a bit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting 1" head tube to take a 1 1/8" steerer- question-chopperiia.jpg  

Last edited by Hardguy; 06-08-2011 at 11:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It is 100/105 mm....80 would have been ideal. With some weight on the fork, it drops down a bit....sag. Modern forks are amazing.....no issues with the handling.

taste death, live life.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants View Post
    Yup. 2011 Loop.

Attachment 618730
    How do you like the 2.4 MK Supersonics? I use the 2.2's and have been very pleased. Did you happen to weigh them (I know - wrong question for the VRC forum)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I found a conversion kit if the Inside measurement of the head tube is 32mm. Genuine Bicycle Produsts: Parts and Accesories.

The White Jeff W

Re: Converting 1" head tube to take a 1 1/8" steerer- question

Quote Originally Posted by thatjohnguy View Post
    I found a conversion kit if the Inside measurement of the head tube is 32mm. Genuine Bicycle Produsts: Parts and Accesories.
    One of those showed up in my mailbox yesterday. I only had a minute to look it over but it looks good so far.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Show us some pics of it through assembly and hopefully on to successful installation. This would be very interesting. Thinking about spending the $45 bucks on one just for the ability to try it out. This is a good thread to bring back from the dead.

The White Jeff W

Re: Converting 1" head tube to take a 1 1/8" steerer- question

Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Show us some pics of it through assembly and hopefully on to successful installation. This would be very interesting. Thinking about spending the $45 bucks on one just for the ability to try it out. This is a good thread to bring back from the dead.
    Will do. It will be Thursday at the soonest before I get a chance to do it. To be honest I don't even know for sure that it will fit my bike. I bought it on the assumption that it would. If it doesn't it will be for sale!
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I turned down some 1-1/8 XT cups to fit a Schwinn frame a couple of years ago so I could use a Manitou threadless fork. It worked fine, but it was a cruiser that didn't take much abuse. If you're using hard it I'd bet they'd crack.
    the Genuine part looks like the way to go.

Like most things, it looked cool but was more of a pain in the a$$ than it was worth.
    Jeff
    --------
    Www.upr.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like that these are steel, you can get away with a pretty thin wall on good steel without it cracking. Really hope it works for you Jeff, going to try to measure a few frames I have around to see if they would be a candidate. Not really an issue as I have found quite a few 1" forks that are still working good but would be nice to have additional options.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post

There ya go... Retro Ryder klunker headset install
    No moss...