Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Another CT frame

I just got this one from 'retrofit' on the uk forum.
    It has a 4th cable guide under the main tube with an additional guide mounted horizontally on the seat tube. Also comes with original anti chain suck device.
    Derailleur hangers don't exist anywhere on the net. Only choice is to have one custom made.
    I now have 3.
    Pivot assembly is very simple-
    1.375" aluminum tube held inside main frame by 2 clamps on the swingarm.
    When I put it all together, there is some slop ( maybe .001?) in one direction but not too much anywhere else confirmed by the wear marks. The other 2 bikes have zero slop laterally. I need a unique bushing for this. I don't even know if there were additional washers or spacers with this originally.
    All of the CNC work is beautifully done too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00001.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00002.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00003.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00004.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00006.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00007.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00008.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00009.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc09997.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc09998.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

last pictures

I also want to point out that there is absolutely zero slop or wear on the swingarm clamps. The tube fits much tighter here than the main frame.
    I'm wondering if I can get another aluminum tube that is a few .001's bigger and replace it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ControlTech Team Issue-dsc09999.jpg  

ControlTech Team Issue-dsc00002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Not a lot of pics out there, but this one is built nice. Your CT's should at least be running matching CT post, bars, stem, and QR's.

This particular bike has a broken dropout and has been "fixed" by welding a plate over the entire dropout area. I've seen very detailed pictures of this "repair" job.
    The non-drive side dropout has also been modified from original.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This particular bike has a broken dropout and has been "fixed" by welding a plate over the entire dropout area. I've seen very detailed pictures of this "repair" job.

... thats not right. First Pic shows the original drop outs, its single speed, second pics shows only a plate that I mount. So i can use a rear detaileur. There ist nothing welded. It's only mount with a screw and the axle.

Greetings Stefan

velocipede technician
    So what very detailed pictures did he see?

Or...
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Stefan-
    Look at the 5th picture that I posted. That is what the original dropouts look like on these bikes. I have 6 of them and they are all identical. The fact that there are rear derailleur cable guides on your frame means that it was an original geared bike, not a single speed. You can easily see in your picture that there has been additional welding on the stays where it meets the dropout. These bikes were ridden hard back in the day and it appears that the one you have suffered some sort of accident to the dropout and it was "fixed" by adding additional metal.
    Schwinn Homegrown, Ibis Szazbo, ControlTech Team Issue, all share similar frames and none of them were built as singlespeeds.

Hollister- I saw more than these 2 pictures of this frame. I'll even beg to ask you your opinion on this matter....

velocipede technician
    Share the pics!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Share the pics!
    stefan has all of the pictures. that's where I saw them.

Stokeless Asshat
    Cat SL. Ran as SS for many years. The builders had it in mind when they designed the drop outs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Stefan- show the rest of the pictures please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "That is what the original dropouts look like on these bikes"

and why are both sides with singlepeed dropouts, when one side is bronken, why should the welded the outher side to singlepeed dropouts too? Bevore I buy the frame, it was never ridden and brand new. The frame comes with singlespeed dropouts.

mtbr member
    Why did it have single-speed drop outs and cables guides for a rear mech?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Certified Bike Junkie
    After hours project by some guys at the Control Tech facility?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    maybe the guys somke a big pipe when they welded it :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If it was a one off, then it would certainly share the same tooling marks as the other frames do, but since it doesn't, then I suspect that it wasn't like this from the factory.
    Look at the arc between the seat stay and the chain stay at the dropout tab on the original bike and compare the same arc on the "single speed" version. The "SS" bike has additional metal welded into this area and if this was a factory model, the dropout tab would be like the original but horizontal instead.
    Another question is, where is the derailleur hanger?
    I'm calling shenanigans on this "single speed".

Humanoid Lobster
    There must be some sort of conspiracy to make counterfeit Control Tech stuff!

If you look over in that 90's pedal thread you can see some pedals that are CLEARLY counterfeit. We need to get to the bottom of this.

Looks like we have a mystery on our hands gang!
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks to be a frame in which either the factory welded on some one-off SS dropouts, or someone did later. But it looks more like factory welds to me. Doesn't look much like a repair.
    The pics of zygote's factory dropouts also show a double weld at the end of the seat and chain stay tubes, likely to fill the exposed hollow-tube openings.
    From the accounts of the owner of the frame being new when he got it, seems like it was a factory custom conversion.
    Either way, Cool frame and looks like you've done a decent mod to convert it to multi-gear use without altering the drops. Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thank you, here you see it works :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    There must be some sort of conspiracy to make counterfeit Control Tech stuff!

If you look over in that 90's pedal thread you can see some pedals that are CLEARLY counterfeit. We need to get to the bottom of this.

Looks like we have a mystery on our hands gang!
    I think that Zygote, the CT uber collector, is butthurt that there is a rare variant that he doesn't own.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    I think that Zygote, the CT uber collector, is butthurt that there is a rare variant that he doesn't own.
    Factory ss?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Factory ss?
    Now you're just rubbing it in that I'm butthurt that you have a Bonty factory SS and I don't. Lame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    I have a CT prototype stem. It has special threaded inserts that spin when you try to tighten the bolts. It's designed to be adjustable on the fly...it's pretty cool!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm still calling shenanigans until Stefan posts better pictures with more detail.

Humanoid Lobster
    Please tell me more about these shenanigans of which you speak. What is it that you are accusing him of?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There have been many hoaxes perpetrated by individuals over the last few centuries. They all seem to be true with a few grainy pictures that "prove existence", but when the real light of day is cast upon them, the truth is revealed and it's easily proven for what it really is.
    I'd really like it to be true that this is indeed a "factory single-speed", but I have strong doubts as to the validity of it because of the poor quality of the dropout tabs and the fact that they look noticeably different than any CT frame part.
    Another strong argument against it is that there were very few, if any, full suspension single speeds made in 1997 on purpose or by accident. Even the Catamount that someone posted was a geared bike, not a single speed.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything because that is a direct violation of the MTBR forum etiquette and is a punishable offense.

Proof is in the pudding (or pictures)
    Post 'em up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast