resident crackpot

Coda "Magic" crank...

All, I thought I was doing my brother a favor by buying what I assumed would integrate with his Magic Motorcycle cranks.

In a wrenching nightmare years ago he cross-threaded the drive side crank arm and found out quickly what he had done. I searched the world over for a 17mm (?), reverse-threaded heli-coil...to no avail. I've always kept my eye out for a replacement. I've bidded and bidded, but never won. Plus, they don't come around very often.

All that said, I won an auction for what was tagged as a Coda Magic crank, drive side. I thought it would work until I got a look at the Octalink receiving crank arm. Nuts! The crank IS pretty, and I've been looking for a non-drive side arm to match to it. I've never seen another like this, until last night. A complete, red set of these cranks went on ebay for what I thought to be a decent price. I had one of those moments...do I bid, or do I not bid?? I didn't and it turns out that they stayed in my 'range' of worth. Where's the smiley of me kicking myself in the butt?

Anyway, can anyone help me out with a black, non-drive side arm to match?? For description's sake; CODA on the outside, 175 9E on the inside (which is machined out), and E9 on the removable spider. Any help will be appreciated in this matter.

AND, I'll still be looking for a replacement drive side arm for my bro.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Got a pic? I have some silver sets here, depending on what you've got........
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

resident crackpot
    Here are pic of the crank arm...don't know why I didn't think of that to begin with!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by loonyOne
    Here are pic of the crank arm...don't know why I didn't think of that to begin with!
    That almost looks like some sort of version of their "SI" crankset. I don't believe I've seen a Coda arm like that before, myself. The machinework on the spider looks to be above-par from their normal more recent offerings.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

resident crackpot
    The arm I have appears to be much burlier than those D8, plus they are listed in the 'road' catagory and fully forged where it is obvious mine is machined out. Not to say they aren't the same type of arm, just that they are not the same.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yeah, they ran those cranks for a few years back in the early part of the decade, '01, '02 etc. They were on mid high end offerings like the F1000 etc. Nice cranks. I have a set at my shop in silver, don't think I have any black though. Seeing as you have the harder one to source, I'd say pick up what you can find for a Shimano V1 type (road type, 105, Ultegra, Octalink) for a left arm, as any will work. The ones D8 found are the Expert/Competition style that are forged, nice, but not nicely machined like the one you've got. I think I may have a few of those in black at the shop too. PM me if you're interested in finding out more. Cheers!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Bikeman in Maine has the a helicoil insert that should salvage the crank. They also have the special left handed tap to make it all work. If it cost's less than a new crank arm go for it. Your lbs may also have the tools as my old one did.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...OOLTHRD/TL1403
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...OOLTHRD/TL7150
    Alea Jacta Est