Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Classic mtb magazine ad lines...

673 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  robinmiller 
#1 ·
Anyone remember any good marketing lines (usually Taiwanese) from magazines in the 90s?

My fave was "The wonderful more you can believe it". I think that was correct? If anyone has any old mags and can verfiy or offer others, that would be cool!

Shiggy's contribution: "Our best for others are striving!"

HW

PS - in related news: Engrish

#3 ·
Johnny Hair Boy said:
Remember the Trek Y 33 adds that said "just say Yes" with the Y bike frame being used to spell yes.
The ads we are thinking of were trade ads from Taiwanese OEM manufacturers and aimed at the the bike companies. Never really meant to be seen by the consumer. MBA was full of them during their first few years.

#4 ·
shiggy said:
The ads we are thinking of were trade ads from Taiwanese OEM manufacturers and aimed at the the bike companies. Never really meant to be seen by the consumer. MBA was full of them during their first few years.
The ad rep for MBA was a genius to get those companies to advertise in issue after issue after issue. I bet that was no small chunk of change that went toward paying for the magazine year in and year out.

I guess they (the Taiwanese parts manufacturers) never had the inkling (or no one thought to tell them) that their ads ended up being mostly for comic relief. The marketing copy was hysterical, with stuff like "sealed bearing design for smooth rolling performance."

#5 ·
Hollywood said:
Anyone remember any good marketing lines (usually Taiwanese) from magazines in the 90s?

My fave was "The wonderful more you can believe it". I think that was correct? If anyone has any old mags and can verfiy or offer others, that would be cool!

Shiggy's contribution: "Our best for others are striving!"

HW

PS - in related news: Engrish
Deja vue, I had this same topic come up almost 10 years ago with some bike industry pals. Your first quote was the one that I QUOTED! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.