mtbr member

Circa 1984 wheels = Dura Ace EX options?

Good friends,

With a mind to build a period correct set of wheels, I got my hands on a NOS set of Dura Ace EX hubs.

I do not know which model, as neither the hubs nor the box identify them. The box says 36h, and they are 32h, so this may not even be the original box for these hubs.

They came w/o the cassette, of course.

I know I must use the Dura Ace EX (only) cassettes. BUT, am I restricted to the exact Dura Ace EX 6-speed cassette? Can a 7-speed cassette be used (as either a 6 or 7 speed cluster)? Or any other arrangement?

Besides the auction site, are there any other reasonable sources to find cassettes for this hubset?

Finally, can anyone point me to a source for period appropriate rims, such as these (on my 84 Ritchey)?

Any advice, suggestions, and sources very much appreciated.

Thanks!

VRC Illuminati
    Well, if you're going with period correct for 84...it should be 6spd (or 5spd?) and not 7spd. Find a touring cassette with a wide spread and you should be ok with gearing selection to get you up a hill. I don't think a 7spd will fit on there, but thats just a guess.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Thanks, Eric.

Six-speed is what's on my '84 Ritchey, that has these same hubs. Sourcing a cassette may be an issue. Same with nice, appropriate rims.

As for gearing, perhaps I should buy that lovely triple crank you currently have up for auction, eh? But bidding will go up, I'm sure.

Anyway, any suggestions on sources for such stuff would be appreciated. I'm only after one wide-range cassette and one set of rims.

Thanks, again.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I would try first flight bicycles, ebay and CL like all things vintage or retrobike which has nice buy/sell subforums.

mtbr member
    AFAIK it's really the start - threaded - cog that is the issue here, so you don't necessarily have to find a DA cassette in the right ratio. My go to in the past was Loose Screws who had loose cogs and spacers they would configure with the proper start cog. Loose Screws Bicycle Small Parts , they have now closed, though I note not completely shut their doors.

You might contact them to see they would consider one last personal sale.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'll give them a try.

Any thoughts on rim options & sources?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think they are Dura Ace EX 7200. Made until 1984.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm confused. What spacing is your frame? 130mm? Aren't those hubs 126mm?

mtbr member
    Frames of that period were 126mm.

As a fallback, I have several road frames that are 126, too.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    A couple of things to point out here:

1) Dura Ace EX hubs require a Dura Ace threaded smallest cog (the outer one that holds the cassette on), as they have smaller diameter threads than non-DA Uniglide hubs. This was so you could use an 11t small cog on DA, while 12t is the smallest that will fit on 600EX hubs.

2) The splines on Uniglide freehub bodies are all the same width, while on Hyperglide hubs (which use a lockring rather than a threaded cog) there is one narrow spline. This means that Hyperglide and Uniglide cassettes are not interchangeable, you can only use a Uniglide cassette with an EX hub.

3) If you want to save the hassle of finding Uniglide cassettes you can change the Uniglide freehub body to a Hyperglide freehub body, which you'll only have to find once and will allow the use of more readily available Hyperglide cassettes. The hard part is finding the splined tool that's needed to remove a pre-'97 DA freehub body, but a shop with a good service department should be able to handle the job.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    I just looked more closely at the photo of the hubs in the box and noticed that they have a satin finish. Is "Dura Ace" imprinted on the hub shell anywhere? If not, those may be 600EX, which would make your life easier should you decide to replace the freehub body (600EX are easier to find). As far as I can remember, the DA EX hubs had a polished finish and "Dura Ace" was stamped on the shells.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie- View Post
    A couple of things to point out here:

3) If you want to save the hassle of finding Uniglide cassettes you can change the Uniglide freehub body to a Hyperglide freehub body, which you'll only have to find once and will allow the use of more readily available Hyperglide cassettes. The hard part is finding the splined tool that's needed to remove a pre-'97 DA freehub body, but a shop with a good service department should be able to handle the job.
    Thank you for this. I am vague on what freehub body can be swapped. It has to be a DA and a pre-1997 DA freehub body, correct? I like the idea, as I much prefer Hyperglide cogs. BUT, I'll probably go with whatever I can find first.

To answer the question about finish, they do have a satin-like finish, but they are also very definitely Dura Ace. Not only stamped on the body, but also the little end-cap seals. These are exactly like the hubs on the '84 Ritchey wheelset I have - same satin-like finish and all. 126mm and 6-speed.

I do appreciate the guidance. My expertise sorta tapers off when freewheels went out of fashion. I left the country for 30+ years. Exile, of sorts.

Thanks, again.

mtbr member
    Good eye!

Hit The Road Cyclery
    You're welcome, and you're right about the freehub body, it has to be Dura Ace from 1996 or earlier. The tool you'll need is Shimano TL-FH10, as seen below.

Name:  tl-fh10.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  48.4 KB

mtbr member
    Yet more thanks. Interesting tool, and I'll go hunting.

Now, strictly for the entertainment value, a few more photos.

Yes, a lovely satin finish. Both hubs have Shimano stamped on the shell. The front has a tiny capital "E 1" hidden under the oil cover clip.

BUT all 4 seals look like this:

The seller said these are model 7200, just as Rocco suggested.

Again, these additional photos are strictly for the entertainment value.

And I really appreciate the tips on swapping the freehub body. Now. To find one.

Cheers!

the new Gilbert Grape
    As others have said the lock-ring needs to be Dura Ace. However, all of the other Uniglide cogs are interchangeable. So find a lock ring, and then search for Uniglide cassettes - they're not that hard to find.

Once you have a cassette, you'll love the hubs.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Circa 1984 wheels = Dura Ace EX options?

I am pretty certain a 10mm Allen works as well. I changed the cassette on some 7400 series hubs (pre 97) and I don't remember using a spline tool. Of course that was almost twenty years ago.

mtbr member
    Gentlemen and scholars all,

Yet more thanks. I hate being such a slow learner. It was part of my first question: So, while I need to find a DA lock-ring, I can cannibalize ANY(?) Uni-Glide cassette, be it a 5-10 speed collection, to choose out the 5 inner cogs I want? Yes? The 6th being the lock ring.

(This is "Be kind to dumb animals" week.)

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    As others have said the lock-ring needs to be Dura Ace. However, all of the other Uniglide cogs are interchangeable. So find a lock ring, and then search for Uniglide cassettes - they're not that hard to find.

Once you have a cassette, you'll love the hubs.