Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    237

    Chunk of Ritchey Force tire gone?

    Quick question, these Ritchey Force tires are hardly used (which could be the issue) and I recently noticed a chunk o tire missing where there used to be tread... Any ideas to keep this from progressing? Is this what happens when old tires finally get used, no matter how well they were "preserved"? Sucks

    Chunk of Ritchey Force tire gone?-ritchey-force.jpg

  2. #2
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    Any ideas to keep this from progressing?
    Don't ride em'.


    OnZa bought NOS, less than 20 miles of use.



    The GC's pictured here...


    Now look like this after three rides:
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  3. #3
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,248
    I hate old tires. Throw me out but I never ride on vintage tires. They are great for photos though.

  4. #4
    Humanoid Lobster
    Reputation: Jak0zilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    573
    I had been intending to ask where you all buy your skinwall colored tire paint. Now I see it's SHENANIGANS!
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

  5. #5
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,248
    I called shenanigans first. I think like yesterday. Somewhere.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    237
    Well that stinks. I guess its the price we pay to ride cool OG tires. Perhaps the best solution if side walls are preferred is to buy the new First Flight Panaracers? I believe new Smoke/Darts are now being reissued as well.

  7. #7
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,248
    Well....some tires are better than others. Rumpfy isn't exactly the best example as he will purposefully skid his tires.
    Last edited by girlonbike; 04-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.

  8. #8
    sftrydr
    Reputation: ssulljm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    975
    Thoroughly clean missing area w alcohol, gently rough up surface w emery cloth, apply shoe goo in tread vacant area. Let dry 24 hrs, ride e'm +monitor surface area for bulging....goo...d as new

  9. #9
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Rumpfy isn't exactly the best example as he will purposefully skid his tires.
    And probably do the same with other people's bikes and tires. That's why if he should ride one of mine he needs to use his own rubber!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  10. #10
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,744
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    And probably do the same with other people's bikes and tires. That's why if he should ride one of mine he needs to use his own rubber!
    Aww, hey, I'm respectful of other peoples bikes/tires. I'm not a hamfisted rider, but I do enjoy stretching things out...and if an old tire or two gives up the ghost along the way, I can say it was an honorable death.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  11. #11
    GMF
    GMF is offline
    Mmm... Tasty
    Reputation: GMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    ...and if an old tire or two gives up the ghost along the way, I can say it was an honorable death.
    Is that what we are calling murder these days ;-)

  12. #12
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Aww, hey, I'm respectful of other peoples bikes/tires. I'm not a hamfisted rider, but I do enjoy stretching things out...and if an old tire or two gives up the ghost along the way, I can say it was an honorable death.
    Well in that case you can play with mine if I can play with yours.

    And not in the same way as you and Ameybrook.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  13. #13
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16,744
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Well in that case you can play with mine if I can play with yours.

    And not in the same way as you and Ameybrook.
    Deal. Let me know if you change your mind on the other one.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I hate old tires. Throw me out but I never ride on vintage tires. They are great for photos though.
    After your photo shoots send me those old vintage tires

Similar Threads

  1. Ritchey Z Max Evolution Tire
    By bigwheelboy_490 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM
  2. 2011 Force tire rubs on chainstay.
    By dochou in forum GT
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
  3. Ritchey 27.5 tire...
    By rideit in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 06:08 AM
  4. 2.35 Tire rub on Force swingarm ?
    By natzx7 in forum GT
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 02:31 PM
  5. Best ust 29er tire for chunk
    By ImaFred in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •