-bustin punks

Chris Igleheart - let's help him out

I hadn't heard about this, thanks to Richard Sachs for posting it elsewhere...Figure the VRC crew would be good to spread the word.

I Heart IGLE | Medical Expenses - YouCaring.com

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    What the ****. A lot of people have been getting hit by cars lately. be careful out there. This is why riding on the dirt is way safer than riding on the road.

mtbr member
    Done, and happy to help. Thanks for posting this. If inclined, fatchanceti, you should cross post to the "rider down" forum and maybe even (or especially) the framebuilder's forum. Chris really is a super nice guy.. though perhaps a bit too generous and trusting. It's just like him to let the driver go because he didn't want to inconvenience him. He built a fork for me a couple of years ago and then sent it out saying "I know you'll pay me when you get around to it."
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

-bustin punks
    It was at $1700 when I checked last night - now $6k and counting. Awesome momentum for a cool dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yikes. He sounds like a great guy, and I hope he recovers quickly.

But why would he decline money from the driver's insurance company? What am I missing?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Dave View Post
    Yikes. He sounds like a great guy, and I hope he recovers quickly.

But why would he decline money from the driver's insurance company? What am I missing?
    Litigate later?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Litigate later?
    Chris didn't take the guy's info--seems unlikely he intends to follow up.

Stokeless Asshat
    Maybe on some level he felt at fault?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    The two times i've made contact with a car were my fault, but was fortunate enough not to have them turn into significant medical bills (despite being thrown pretty far into an intersection in one of them...). Without knowing the guy, I have to trust his judgement of fault.

mtbr member
    Well, I'll probably get some argument on this point, but - your incidents aside - there really aren't that many situations in which a biker is ever really "at fault" in a bike/car collision, unless they're really doing something stupid. Perhaps running a red light or failing to stop and rear ending someone? Failing to be defensive enough is a different matter.

I think it's more likely that he didn't realize how hurt he was, immediately after it happened. A boost of adrenaline can mask a lot of injury at first. I got rear ended by a drunk driver once (not on my bike, though it did keep me off of one for about 5 years), and I refused to let the ambulance take me away because I didn't trust the tow truck driver to take my truck. Stupid move, in retrospect, as I couldn't even move to get out of bed the the next day.

There's a lesson here, from both Chris's experience and mine, so pay attention: ALWAYS ASSUME YOUR INJURIES ARE WORSE THAN THEY SEEM, AND ACCEPT TREATMENT IMMEDIATELY, WHETHER YOU FEEL LIKE YOU NEED IT OR NOT. Even if you get the other guy's name and license and insurance info, as I did, you need to behave proactively if you hope to get compensated for your medical bills or anything else. Insurance companies and their lawyers are such scum bags, they'll try to argue that you weren't really hurt in the incident.

The other lesson is "make sure you do your physical therapy, whether you're worried about being compensated, or think you're tough enough to go without, or your boss gives you flack for taking the time, or not." Nothing is worth sacrificing your health and ability to ride a bicycle.

On a good note, it looks like they already met the original fundraising goal for Chris, and have bumped it up. (I hope that means that the efforts will pay for a bigger share of expenses, and not that the expenses are getting bigger.)

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Where are y'all getting the information that Chris declined help and all that....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Where are y'all getting the information that Chris declined help and all that....
    It is mentioned in the "fundraiser details" tab, on the donation site.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    It is mentioned in the "fundraiser details" tab, on the donation site.
    Yup: "If you know Chris you know the nicest person in the bicycle industry. Humble and a humanist at heart, Chris didn't want to trouble the person who hit him and let him go without asking for any information."

As far as a cyclists fault goes - if you don't follow the rules of the road regardless of being a car or bike, you kind of messed up (i cut through stopped traffic to go into a left turn lane, missing the car traveling down that lane... second time was going too fast down a 1 lane road around a blind corner). If i were a car in either of those situations, i would consider that fault. But totally a side-line from this thread, and I agree with the other points you made.