mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Can anybody help with a question about Manitou One's?

I've acquired a set of these for my retro build, apparently in good nick and working. I've had a look on the for sale and steerer swap sections and couldnt find much and swapped a few emails on some possibles but havent really found a crown steerer swap.

So... my question I'm hoping you retro experts can answer is, can the steerer alone be swapped on Manitou One's? Looking at the pics there's four allen bolts on the back of the crown near where the steerer joins them, does anybody know if that will release the crown or are they for the stancions? and if not for either of those jobs... what the heck they are for?

Do you experts also know if the crown and steerers are inter changeable with 2/3/4's or any other manitou forks? I 'hear' they are.

As it stands the steerer is threaded, probbaly just about long enough but might be short... so in an ideal world I would fancy a unthreaded steerer, circa 190mm / 200 mmm. I just dont know if I'm hunting for a steerer OR steerer and crown OR one of those new steerers on ebay germany can be added to my current crown.

H-elp h-elp... any difinitive answers out there

Note: also posted this to retrobike in the UK.

human dehumidifier
    There may be info in this thread that has an old review in it

Manitou 1 fork review w/ Tomac

Photos in the review do make it look as if those four bolts work to pinch the crown and stanchions.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

the new Gilbert Grape
    Yes, the Manitou 1 steerers are replaceable. In "stock" form they have a retainer clip at the bottom of the steerer to prevent it from sliding through the crown (see pic). However, a replacement steerer without this feature would still work (assuming all of the bolts are tight).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anybody help with a question about Manitou One's?-wp_000479.jpg  

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    If the only issue is steerer length needed then all you need is your desired steerer tube however if you are also looking to change the diameter of the steerer the. You need to find steerer as well as the crown. Good luck.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel View Post
    If the only issue is steerer length needed then all you need is your desired steerer tube however if you are also looking to change the diameter of the steerer the. You need to find steerer as well as the crown. Good luck.
    Great point!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Great guys, thx for the info and that picture is perfect. that's what I suspected and I found a manitou one service manual showing it could be removed. It also has the torque settings which is good to know. I am just after a longer ahead steerer for my funk build. I'm expecting the fork by the weekend so will see how short it is. Thankfully I have a king devolution headset so inch eight is fine.

You guys might like the paint job on the frame, Stars and Stripes! Weird paint considering I bought it here in the UK and the paint job was seemingly done by a Swiss company.

I have a betsy rear derailleur. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It should work to put Manitou1 stanchions onto a 2/3/4 crown. The later crowns are a bit different but still interchangeable and all used 28.6mm diameter stanchions, no offsett at the crown.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    does anybody know if the circlip is removable ind interchangable? I was thinking of getting a none manitou steerer, does the circlip slot into a grove in the steerer in any way? does it have to be a manitou steerer?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Yes, there is a grove for the circlip. If you buy a standard steerer tube from a tubing supply it will not have this grove. You'll need to either machine the grove, or use the steerer without it - the circlip is a safety feature that's nice to have, but not necessary. Rock Shox/Bontrager used a very similar interface on their fork crown without the circlip. Keep the bolts tight and everything should be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thx laffeaux, i have a torque wrench ready for the job and the settings from an original manual scanned in retrobike.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Does the simple and cheap RST steerer fit? It has a flange on the bottom that serves the same function as the circlip (although less nice looking)

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Does the simple and cheap RST steerer fit? It has a flange on the bottom that serves the same function as the circlip (although less nice looking)
    No idea on the RST steerer. But I've replaced several steerers on Bontrager crowns using steerer tubes from Nova Supply. The first three items on the link below are 1" steerer of various lengths. These would work for the Manitou 1 fork too.

Search results :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

Team Brooklyn
    Good info, thanks.
    Anyone have a source for a 1 1/8" Ti steerer and Ti stanchions for a Manitou I?
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ordered a over long alu steerer from a guy in Germany who does threaded tube sections, he will cut custom lengths if needed but i went for one of his stock lengths and will cut off the 40mm thread and then it'll be about right. It cost about 30 Euros, about 25 GBP. a search on ebay.de for a 'tune titan federgabel' should find his listing. He stocks different lengths and widths and speaks good english if you contact him. i didnt ask but think he might do ti ones.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    A threaded aluminum steerer? That is a first for me... Doesn't the tube wall have to be quite a bit thicker for strength and then the quill wouldn't fit? I would also worry about stripping the threads on it. Oh, those crazy germans do anything to save a gram...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Good info, thanks.
    Anyone have a source for a 1 1/8" Ti steerer and Ti stanchions for a Manitou I?
    Various flavors of the stock Manitou 2/3/4 forks used aluminum stanchions (instead of CrMo steel), using these would be a much easier and more cost effective way to save weight instead of trying to source/fabricate Ti stanchions. Note however that the later Manitou forks moved the elastomers from below the stanchions up to the top, inside the stanchion tubes (for easier access to pre-load adjustment). If you went with later alu stanchions you likely would need to move the elastomers/springs too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I easily removed the steerer from the M1's last night and see the groove and the circlip... just waiting to get the new steerer, might have to get the groove added by local machine shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    well small update... the german ti steerer, once I cut off the threads, was just a few millimeters short, so I ended up going to a UK frame builder and just getting a steel one that was way to long and then fitting, taking the measurement and then cutting it. Its way heavier obviously but i'm not trying to win a weight weenie competition.

So now the Funk has a period fork and ringle stem. The build has started properly BUT I have a couple of spare steerers now... not sure if i should offer them up or keep them 'in case'.

Yankee Funk with Manitou One finally fitted | Flickr - Photo Sharing!