Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Team Brooklyn

Call for your old race photos!

Former (and maybe some current) NORBA/IMBA racers of the 80s and 90s,

I was walking down memory lane, sharing some stories with fellow racers from BITD and laughing with my wife about some of the races particularly Mt Snow in the early 90s. My wife immediately adopted the term Tomechanical after hearing it announced once and applied it to every parts breakage (mine, Tomac's or anyone else's) from '91 onwards.

As I try to locate some of mine, I'd love to see what pictures you might have from those big NORBA races as well as the Grundig and Jeep sponsored series. Late 80's early 90's - not just the "big guys" but whatever you have.

Post 'em here for all to see ... Or send them to me

Thanks and stay well and have a Happy New Year!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Something like this?
    JT mt snow '91
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Brooklyn
    Exactly.

VRC Illuminati
    Where's the thread with all the old school race photos? That's a good one that already exists!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Where's the thread with all the old school race photos? That's a good one that already exists!
    I suspect you mean this thread

Vintage Race Photos

Yeah I forgot about that one. Great photos therein.

Most seem like professional photos and are of the Pros. Great stuff but it would be nice to see some pictures taken by regular folk of the non famous as well as famous people on the track. Post them on that thread or here - doesn't matter - it would be great to see what people have stuck in envelopes and albums.

I took a day off today and am enjoying the reminiscing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog View Post
    Something like this?
    JT mt snow '91
    A Ritchey with a Scott fork, sacrilegious!

Dumpster Diver
    Jimmy Deaton and Robbie Rupe watch from the sidelines.
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    A Ritchey with a Scott fork, sacrilegious!
    Ritchey and Scott have had a relationship for years and the race team all used the forks for a year or two including Ruthie. Tom currently rides a carbon Scott mountain bike.

Frischknecht also rode a steel Scott full suspension bike in '93 or so with Ritchey decals. A forum member has the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Ritchey and Scott have had a relationship for years and the race team all used the forks for a year or two including Ruthie. Tom currently rides a carbon Scott mountain bike.

Frischknecht also rode a steel Scott full suspension bike in '93 or so with Ritchey decals. A forum member has the bike.
    It just doesn't seem right, but's it's business. Especially when Tom and I recently passed each other on Crazy Pete trail, he was on a Scott, with a Scott jersey. I did get a double take and a big smile when he realized I was on a P21.

mtbr member
    Regular folk, non pro?
    Must mean me, when I was a bit "lighter" than now:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Call for your old race photos!-tvfatmtsnow.jpg  

Team Brooklyn
    Regular folk, non pro?
    Must mean me, when I was a bit "lighter" than now:
    That's what I'm talking about Willis!!!

We have plenty of Pro photos but seeing pictures of "regular" folk at these races means it was once (and maybe still is) a "regular folk" event - even the biggest of the races. And in those days though it was competetive, the fun and camraderie was the best

This one?

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

sftrydr
    That's Tim Rutherford wearin the Ritchey Kit .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    This one?

no, probably a few years older than that one. I think the Scott used a Clark-Kent designed rear suspension.

no, probably a few years older than that one. I think the Scott used a Clark-Kent designed rear suspension.
    Yup, I know the one you're talking about now. Shock was placed between the seatstay and top tube.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Team Brooklyn
    Since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine (no GoB, no Naked Crit pics )

Team Brooklyn
    All of these were taken with an inexpensive point and shoot camera. Here are a few photos of the guy who came up with the Mount Snow Naked Crit idea:

Louie Trevino

The guy doing the filming back then is now doing it as an idependent sports photographer in NYC - Marco Quezada. Guess he got his start way back then.

While not a racing photo, I figured I'd throw this in too - some members of our Team:

mtbr member
    This one is definitely not famous. It's me, from the 1996 Cactus Cup in AZ. I'm riding my 1993 Specialized S-Works Steel, with carbon Judys and blue Grafton cranks. Everthing else was a mix of XT/XTR. I'm wearing my NAU jersey, an original Camelbak, and an ExtrAir helmet. Oh, and some M-Frames.

Call for your old race photos!-img_0984rs1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff View Post
    This one is definitely not famous. It's me, from the 1996 Cactus Cup in AZ. I'm riding my 1993 Specialized S-Works Steel, with carbon Judys and blue Grafton cranks. Everthing else was a mix of XT/XTR. I'm wearing my NAU jersey, an original Camelbak, and an ExtrAir helmet. Oh, and some M-Frames.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0984rs1.jpg 
Views:	917 
Size:	328.4 KB 
ID:	748390
    It's interesting to see how body position has evolved from then to now. Definitely biased for the descent now. Cool pic.

Team Brooklyn
    It's interesting to see how body position has evolved from then to now. Definitely biased for the descent now. Cool pic.
    I remember that uphill and cross country were big while separate downhill races were a relatively new and not quite as popular among the racers - at least here in the Northeast.

I think the prevailing attitude was
    "Hey, anyone can go fast downhill..."

Are there separate uphill races anymore?

After one of those "easy" NORBA downhills on which I left most of the skin of my left forearm, I bought myself a pair of arm and shin protectors. Not much but better than nothing I guess. Think of corregated cardboard covered by blue nylon and held on by elastic straps.

mtbr member
    Mt Snow: yes, hill climb, slalom & XC events. Good bang for your buck back then. I think this shot was from 89 or 90: toe clips, rock ring, rigid fork on the 'ol FAT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Call for your old race photos!-tvmtsnow90.jpg  

Team Brooklyn
    Yeah - I still had toe clips on Suntour track pedals in mid '91. Still have them. Super light!Then switched to Grafton Speed Traps when they came out.

Rock Rings ... reminds me of Lynnwoods Spring Meltdown - saw a lot of them there as far as I remember.

mtbr member
    Lynn Woods: a 15 minute spin from my house! My "home" course (didn't help me at all). Too bad they don't have races there anymore.

Team Brooklyn
    Lynn Woods: a 15 minute spin from my house! My "home" course (didn't help me at all). Too bad they don't have races there anymore.
    Was always part of my visit to relatives in Winthrop and integral to my harassment of the Merlin gang on the way up from NY and before heading back to Brooklyn.

Too bad that there are no more races there. Came in third in one race due to inability to slow or stop. Completely blew through a set of brake pads in the pouring rain. Combo of mud/sand worked like a grinder

mtbr member
    Winthrop! My kids play hockey there all the time. Too funny.

Here's another of JT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast