mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Burning man bike?

I looked at a bike a few days ago and the condition of the thing really nixed the sale. It wasn't rusty or dinged up. It had this kind of film on it and the areas of the bike around the axl and rings just looked strange. The brake pads were all cracked and dirty never seen anything like it. Then I remembered seeing cars and rvs on the road around Reno covered in this tan colored dust. The were common back from that dessert where the burning man gig is held

The bike was clean like you clean without disassembly but it was kinda cooked best way I can explain it like it had been under dirt or dust and cooked instead of underwater rusty or some other more common condition

I know there is a ton of junk bikes that get used there and left.

Anyone have any experience with bikes that have been exposed to that?

I'm second guessing myself because the bike was half price of what it would normally sell for

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I looked at a Carbon fiber Gary Fisher Supercaliber but the guy who owned the bike forever went about 4 bills. Looked like there was a crack in the seat tube (if not elsewhere) and the many replaced parts weren't all that. PASS!!!!

As for CL listed 'Burning Man Bikes' you are playing with fire there. I've seen some very strange @#$% advertised as a BMB.

mtbr member
    This bike I picked up from Sky on his return trip to San Diego from Burning Man. Just one of many bikes he rescued. It had some kind of glitter wire wrapped all over and a nice coat Playa. The rear wheel was tweaked, like some one ran over it, but hot dam!, it was a Ritchey Ultra G, pedals were not included

"I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11 View Post
    This bike I picked up from Sky on his return trip to San Diego from Burning Man. Just one of many bikes he rescued. It had some kind of glitter wire wrapped all over and a nice coat Playa. The rear wheel was tweaked, like some one ran over it, but hot dam!, it was a Ritchey Ultra G, pedals were not included

Thats the perfect explanation "a nice coat of playa" This is almost as good a find as your ritchey.

What i'm figuring a full disassembly new cables grips, and new powdercoat. Even so I'll be under the price of the last one I saw sold on EBAY. It's a god awfull color right now, looks like the circus came to town.

Any issues with the wheel bearings, bottom bracket or headset after taking a coat of playa? Replace?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Clean and regrease and you can't be that bad. Hate the dirt, not the playa.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Some of these burning man morons need a beating.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^