Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fat City Michael

BULLSEYE HUBS Still in business?

Hey All,

Does anyone know about the phone # at Bullseye Hubs being disconnected?

I had been speaking with Roger at Bullseye over the past few weeks about replacing a 126mm rear axle for a wheel that I now need a 135mm axle for and I called again today and got a recording that the # "was out of serivce or disconnected"

Roger just kept forgetting to send my axle out after each time I spoke with him...It's my understanding that he's getting along in age which is understandable why he forgot and he even said that his son will be taking over the business, but now the # doesn't work. Does anyone have further info on their business or any contact info for Roger or his son?

Thanks,

Michael-NYC
    FATMIKEYNYC

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    i dont have any other numbers for contacting them. i tried to buy all kinds of things from Roger but found out it's just best at this point to consider that company out of business. too many people are having way too much trouble with them. Roger is a great guy so it's a shame to see him deteriorate like this.

VRC Illuminati
    That should prove to be pretty difficult.

Quite a few people haven't had the best luck getting stuff from him and his son also seems pretty hit or miss.

I just wish someone could buy out all their stock and get it to the masses.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy

I just wish someone could buy out all their stock and get it to the masses.
    i tried that too but no luck. i got annoyed and gave up on the idea. maybe someone else will have some lock some day.

Fat City Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    i dont have any other numbers for contacting them. i tried to buy all kinds of things from Roger but found out it's just best at this point to consider that company out of business. too many people are having way too much trouble with them. Roger is a great guy so it's a shame to see him deteriorate like this.
    Roger is a very nice man, it just seems that he's getting a tad forgetful as he's gotten older and that can be an embarrasing and awkward thing for such an innovative guy.
    Each time I called he seemed to not recall our previous conversations but he was always very polite and apologetic but I never got the axles that I had paid for...He did say that his son will be taking over the company, so perhaps we'll just have to wait to see what happens? If anyone hears anything can they please reply here or send me a PM?

Thanks and have a happy holidays!

Michael-NYC
    FATMIKEYNYC

VRC Illuminati
    Turn around time for getting parts from them is 12+ months after payment is sent and received.
    -eric-

Less yappin, more Brappin

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Turn around time for getting parts from them is 12+ months after payment is sent and received.
    That sucks for you because even though I put in those nice new Phil Wood bearings, the axle is still loose and the wheel wobbles a little. Something in the axle/end caps is not right

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss
    That sucks for you because even though I put in those nice new Phil Wood bearings, the axle is still loose and the wheel wobbles a little. Something in the axle/end caps is not right

Awesome!

Probably easier, cheaper, or faster to pirate that from other hubs.
    -eric-

He be a moose too.
    I haven't ordered anything from him but he does seem forgetful (and acknowledges that he is). We talked at length about a webpage for him, trading html for metal, but he too forgot our conversation. Oh well, what was the question?

Penguin

VRC Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss
    metric to imperial problems no doubt.

mtbr member
    Awesome!

Probably easier, cheaper, or faster to pirate that from other hubs.
    Bullseye hubs are supposed to have a little play as far as I know. Every hub Ive seen has it. Kind of annoying.

Fat City Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Bullseye hubs are supposed to have a little play as far as I know. Every hub Ive seen has it. Kind of annoying.
    I second that statement!

I had a Bullseye wheelset back in the 80's that were on a Wicked Fat Chance and they were great and rode smooth but actually rattled noisily (sp?) from the play in the hubs, nothing I tried could remedy this! I eventually gave those wheels to a friend and that's about the time that I went to Phil Wood hubs on pretty much every bike.

I currently have a pretty decent set of wheels that have Bullseye hubs that I got from one of our esteemed members here and I was simply attempting to salvage them for my current Wicked by getting new axles, as the rear wheel has a 126mm not a 135mm thaat the frame is spaced for...Since I doubt that I'll get the axles, please feel free to PM me for info on these wheels if you have a retro wheelset with a 26" x 135mm rear to trade for a Bullseye wheelset in silver/dark gray, radially laced to Specialized hard annodized 32 hole 26" rims with a 126mm rear hub...

Thanks,

Michael-NYC
    FATMIKEYNYC

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Yeah Roger never learned the metric system... so everything was SAE Imperial sized, makes finding chainring bolts for the cranks always a joy.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Bird watcher
    Either that or roger cut the center spacer too long. Which I have seen on multiple bullseye wheels.

mtbr member

Hub Rattle

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever tried using "shim stock" to shim the end caps/axles. Realize that I don't have a clue how the axle assembly works yet. I have a new used front wheel in my car that I'll dig into tonight to find out. We use.0015" thick stainless steel shim stock on our skatboard bearings & trucks to remove the "slop" between the bearings and the axles. I found this on bikepro's site:
    This inner aluminum has a 12mm inner diameter. The 11.96mm outer diameter hollow aluminum axle slides through both bearings and the inner aluminum which reinforces the axle.

There may be a way for this to work. Just curious what has been tried before I dig in myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

blast from the past ... same axle need dilemma

Pulling this thread up from the past as I'm facing the same axle requirement dilemma. I have a set of wheel I built in the late 80s for touring (Bullseye hubs with Mavic MA-40 rims, 126mm rear spaced) that I'd like to use on a 130mm spaced frame.

If Bullseye is no longer an option, any suggestions on a machine shop that has made replacements?

He be a moose too.
    Bullseye still is in business. I don't have their number handy but look about the forum and you'll find it. They do have an axles but it will take you a long time to get it, in my experience. If you're looking for a 130, I might have one for you. I was sent the wrong axle size and have to call them for a 135 axle. So if it arrives, I'll have a 130 to sell. PM if interested.

mtbr remember
    Sorry to bring up an old thread here... but hey, isn't that what this forum is about...? old questions about old equipment...

So, I too have an old fat chance that I put a bullseye hubset onto and the axles rattle like MAD! Nothing I can do to eliminate the play, the spacers with grub/set-screws serve no purpose in eliminating the play which seems to be caused by tolerances between the bearing inner race and the axle being so different. I don't get it, what happened here?

After just reading this short thread it seems to be a fairly common problem with the bullseyes. Has anyone come up with a remedy?
    Any info or tips are much appreciated.

Also, it seems Bullseye has their own store on ebay. Selling off old stock items, mostly bmx components though.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Fat City Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Sorry to bring up an old thread here... but hey, isn't that what this forum is about...? old questions about old equipment...

So, I too have an old fat chance that I put a bullseye hubset onto and the axles rattle like MAD! Nothing I can do to eliminate the play, the spacers with grub/set-screws serve no purpose in eliminating the play which seems to be caused by tolerances between the bearing inner race and the axle being so different. I don't get it, what happened here?

After just reading this short thread it seems to be a fairly common problem with the bullseyes. Has anyone come up with a remedy?
    Any info or tips are much appreciated.

Also, it seems Bullseye has their own store on ebay. Selling off old stock items, mostly bmx components though.
    BikeSATORI,

I know that some people really love Bullseye Hubs and I think that they're cool, but they do rattle and although it's annoying I don't think that it'll cause any tech or safety problems, but if you read my post above back from 12/26/2006 I had the exact same problem with Bullseyes on my 1987 Fat Chance and I eventually just got rid of the wheels...And as far as the new eBay store for Bullseye, I contacted them a few months ago and they apologized for the 5th time and promised me those hub axles AGAIN that I had paid for in mid 2006 but never received and I still have never gotten anything from them.
    My advice is to sell or trade away your rattley Bullseye wheels if they're annoying you and get some wheels with Phil Wood hubs, I've been riding Phils on my Fat Chances for 20 years since I gave away my Bullseye wheels to a friend and I have never had a problem with them and they are VERY responsive when it comes to customer service...Now they're not cheap, but they certainly won't rip you off!

Keep us posted on your saga and let us know what you decide to do so you can ride and enjoy your old Fat Chance without hub rattles.
    FATMIKEYNYC

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmikeynyc
    BikeSATORI,

I know that some people really love Bullseye Hubs and I think that they're cool, but they do rattle and although it's annoying I don't think that it'll cause any tech or safety problems, but if you read my post above back from 12/26/2006 I had the exact same problem with Bullseyes on my 1987 Fat Chance and I eventually just got rid of the wheels...And as far as the new eBay store for Bullseye, I contacted them a few months ago and they apologized for the 5th time and promised me those hub axles AGAIN that I had paid for in mid 2006 but never received and I still have never gotten anything from them.
    My advice is to sell or trade away your rattley Bullseye wheels if they're annoying you and get some wheels with Phil Wood hubs, I've been riding Phils on my Fat Chances for 20 years since I gave away my Bullseye wheels to a friend and I have never had a problem with them and they are VERY responsive when it comes to customer service...Now they're not cheap, but they certainly won't rip you off!

Keep us posted on your saga and let us know what you decide to do so you can ride and enjoy your old Fat Chance without hub rattles.

Yep, I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down...
    It's just a shame, they were pretty decent hubs and the wheelset I have built up with them is a very nice retro one. Just wanted to see if there was by chance an easy remedy for the hubs.
    I've also got a slick set of matching 3dv Pulstars for the fat chance too... but again, tough and seemingly endless search for some "ti-dye" straight-pull spokes for the rear hub to build up to a purple sun rim I've got. mmmm.... always searching for something, haha.
    Schralp it Heavy.

bonked
    It always seemed to me that Bullseye used crappy bearing or at least bearings and concepts that were wrong for the application. When you read their instructions for their cranks it says to leave just a slight amount of looseness to help make the bearings last longer. The hub instruction say something a little different, but in either case you couldn't take out the slack no matter what anyway without putting them bearings in a bind. The bearings they used have way too much clearance to start with and have no way to facilitate preloading them, so you wind up with loose bearings all the time which is murder on the balls and races.

My friend Rem approached a customer of ours who worked at Bearings Inc in Atlanta many years ago about coming up with better quality replacements. He felt the bearing Bullseye used where junk, but for them to come up with a better replacement we would have to buy a minimum of 1000 pieces. Obviously that never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    It always seemed to me that Bullseye used crappy bearing or at least bearings and concepts that were wrong for the application. When you read their instructions for their cranks it says to leave just a slight amount of looseness to help make the bearings last longer. The hub instruction say something a little different, but in either case you couldn't take out the slack no matter what anyway without putting them bearings in a bind. The bearings they used have way too much clearance to start with and have no way to facilitate preloading them, so you wind up with loose bearings all the time which is murder on the balls and races.

My friend Rem approached a customer of ours who worked at Bearings Inc in Atlanta many years ago about coming up with better quality replacements. He felt the bearing Bullseye used where junk, but for them to come up with a better replacement we would have to buy a minimum of 1000 pieces. Obviously that never happened.

agreed.
    Not being able to properly preload the bb, hub bearings, or headset will IMO lead to premature bearing failure almost just as fast as overtightening... which in most cases wouldn't happen when someone who knows what they are doing are installing the components.

...and that reminds me. Maybe I'll give Boca Bearing a call. They can get you almost any size ID/OD bearing, and in almost any grade, from looseball up to full 100% ceramic.
    I just put some ceramics in my old Tioga Revolvers over the last winter and they work perfect! Not a bad price either and quick shipping when ordered over the phone. But, now it seems I'm losing motivation over these bullseye hubs, haha.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's only cup and cone bearings that needs preload, really. And there's no need to worry about some play if it's in the cartridge bearings, it doesn't matter. But if the play is somewhere between the bearing and the hub or axle, that's really bad...

Standard cartridge bearings (deep groove) of a comparable size typically have a much longer life, and, in theory at least, are faster than angular/cup'n'cone ones. This is mostly because angular bearings by design are put under much higher stress for a given force than standard bearings. What I think is missing from every(?) hub and bb made today is a good labyrinth seal that shields off most of the water and dirt, because the seal that's on the cartridge bearing is simply not capable of keeping contamination out.

Bike Dork
    Just so folks know Bullseye looks like they're back up and Roger is fully retired.
    <http://www.bullseyecycleusa.com/home>

Visitor
    Yes they are. Drop them a line.

Fat City Michael
    I've dropped them many a line and they always reply from different e-mail addresses and seem to be more than happy to sell me "NOS" Hubs for top dollar, but they still have never sent me the front (100mm) and rear (135mm) axles that I had ordered from Roger over the phone 2 years ago that he IMMEDIATELY cashed my check for and then the new guys even promised to make good on as recently as this past summer but still no axles...It's not the like amount of money for these axles is going to break me, but I just don't like being treated like trash as a customer, that's just rude!
    FATMIKEYNYC

He be a moose too.
    I had some issues with an order from them when Rodger was involved. His son says he is getting old and when he gets involved, things go south. His son did make efforts to straighten things out for me. Looking at their website, it looks they are making a serious attempt at a comeback. They have a third person involved and might have someone with more business experience than Roger or his son. I'm not defending their business acumen in the past, but it might be worth a try again.

Visitor
    I've been dealing with Steve Jackson ("company director") for the last couple of months and have gotten my parts quickly and had great communications from him. So, I really think they are going to be OK (based on my experience). Before I decided to do business with them I read the feedback posted here and other places. I was bit sketched, but gave it a shot. Like I say, I've been very happy. I wish them the best of luck.

mtbr member
    Interview with Steve.
    Nice pedals!

http://www.bmxultra.com/prosection/inside/bullseye.htm

Fat City Michael
    I just wrote a note to Steve and told him of my situation with regard to paying for something measly as a set of axles and never getting them, so let's see how he handles it. I'll let everyone know what happens...I still like their products but I'm a real stickler for good customer service.
    FATMIKEYNYC

Visitor
    I just wrote a note to Steve and told him of my situation with regard to paying for something measly as a set of axles and never getting them, so let's see how he handles it. I'll let everyone know what happens...I still like their products but I'm a real stickler for good customer service.
    Good point FatMike. Service IS everything. Something that unfortunately seems to have been forgotten in the modern world. Sometimes I'll come back for a second helping of crap if I'm treated correctly. But then, it's my business to understand that. I don't get why a lot of businesses don't grok it.

Fat City Michael

BULLSEYE HUBS is still VERY MUCH in business!

Soooo...Steven from Bullseye immediately replied to my inquiry-on a Saturday no-less and he is giving me a credit for those axles that I never received from 2 years ago ordered via Roger and he is applying it towards a special custom hub set that I need with a 140mm rear axle for my WTB Phoenix frame and the price he quoted was quite reasonable before he lowered it with the credit for the axles!

This is very nice to hear. So he is for real and I guess that he is just trying to build that business back up, which is not an easy thing to do in this economy or as a small USA Made Bicycle component company/fabricator, as so many have disappeared.

I'm happy that you guys kept this thread going, so I could get some closure with that small problem and found out that Steven from Bullseye turned out to be a very decent guy and hopefully I'll get some hubs that I need for a cool project!
    FATMIKEYNYC

Visitor
    Good to hear it Fatmike. It seems like Steven is really trying to pull the Bullseye strings back together. He must be a very busy man these days. I hope he can pull it off. I am going to support them by purchasing another set of hubs. Roger was/is a good guy and was really out front on a lot of technical stuff. I see no reason why he isn't in the Hall. If I were somebody I'd write up a nomination...

http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=7
    Last edited by hairstream; 12-21-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Fat City Michael

Quote Originally Posted by hairstream
    Good to hear it Fatmike. It seems like Steven is really trying to pull the Bullseye strings back together. He must be a very busy man these days. I hope he can pull it off. I am going to support them by purchasing another set of hubs. Roger was/is a good guy and was really out front on a lot of technical stuff. I see no reason why he isn't in the Hall. If I were somebody I'd write up a nomination...

http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=7
    Hopefully Steven will keep the Bullseye torch burning, so many other US cycling companies have gone away and very few have been able to come back...
    FATMIKEYNYC

Visitor
    Update. Just received my axles from Steven. Timely shipping and good communications. Needed a little something extra and he just threw it in the package for me. Getting ready to place my next order. Go Steven, go!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What's the contact info for Bullseye? The stories of lost orders sound so familiar. A few year's ago, I had the same experience, ordering a 135mm axle, repeated calls to no avail. I'd be willing to reorder, if they're now likely to be able to deliver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've had dealings with Steven recently and he was really quick to answer emails and bent over backwards to help this Brit out and keep my cranks turning!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Great! I'm glad to hear Bullseye is still/again up and rolling. How do I get in contact with Steven?

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    This is bizarre--I looked at Bullseye's website earlier this week, and forgot to post the link here. Now I can't find it! Google yielded nothing. It was something like www.bullseyeusa.com But, yeah, it looks like they are back and focusing mostly on hubs at the moment.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Excellent! Thanks, Vlad. Now, I can put that set of hubs back to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Not Really...

If you want to run a freewheel, pick a different hub. Stay away from the "new" Bullseye
    The "new" Bullseye hubs being sold now on eBay and elsewhere are low-grade replicas with cheap non-U.S. bearings. I learned this the hard-way. I ordered a set of Bullseye hubs from Steve Jackson for my kid's race bike. Although these hubs are advertised as U.S. made, they employ overseas manufactured bearings. The ultra-low precision construction of these hubs became apparent when they were laced-up. The bearings high-level of drag arrested free wheel spin after only 8-10 revolutions. I unlaced the wheels and returned the hubs to Bullseye. Steve Jackson of Bullseye committed to resolve the issue but never did, leaving a trail of unanswered emails while keeping the money I originally paid for the hubs in his pocket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarinerArizona
    If you want to run a freewheel, pick a different hub. Stay away from the "new" Bullseye
    The "new" Bullseye hubs being sold now on eBay and elsewhere are low-grade replicas with cheap non-U.S. bearings. I learned this the hard-way. I ordered a set of Bullseye hubs from Steve Jackson for my kid's race bike. Although these hubs are advertised as U.S. made, they employ overseas manufactured bearings. The ultra-low precision construction of these hubs became apparent when they were laced-up. The bearings high-level of drag arrested free wheel spin after only 8-10 revolutions. I unlaced the wheels and returned the hubs to Bullseye. Steve Jackson of Bullseye committed to resolve the issue but never did, leaving a trail of unanswered emails while keeping the money I originally paid for the hubs in his pocket.
    How could hub bearings "arrest" a freewheel?

bonked
    I think he means the wheel wouldn't spin freely for a really long time, in a truing stand for instance. That really is not the best indication of bearing quality. It suggests to me that the bearing was packed with grease and had better clearance than the bearing Bullseye used in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    IF52 is correct on the free wheel spin. This has nothing to do with a freewheel.

IF52, you are also correct with regards to the 1980's Bullseye hubs and the current replicas Steve Jackson is pedaling. In the 1980's you could lace up a new set of Bullseye hubs, torque down the wheel bolts, and they would spin until the cows came home. On the replicas, when you torque down the wheel bolts, they are good for 8-10 revolutions max.

Visitor
    U crack me up Sub.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarinerArizona
    In the 1980's you could lace up a new set of Bullseye hubs, torque down the wheel bolts, and they would spin until the cows came home.
    Yeah, that was so cool until the rattling from the axle play drove you insane and you switched to Profiles (or almost any other hub with threaded pre-load collars; gt, hutch, tnt for example). Bullseyes always sucked.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Sub - Steve didn't tell you that the "new" bullseyes are only suitable for trailer queen 80's bmx restorations that will never get ridden ?

He found a hell of a niche - All of the good old hubs are so hard to find and/or super expensive in show-worthy shape (Good luck finding a nice set of profile gyrolites for less than $600). With the bulleyes you have the top of the line 80's looks at a much lower price. There's more bullseyes on high end 80's bmx bikes now then there were back then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Yeah, that was so cool until the rattling from the axle play drove you insane and you switched to Profiles (or almost any other hub with threaded pre-load collars; gt, hutch, tnt for example). Bullseyes always sucked.
    Hey, you actually seem to have experience from these hubs and know what you are talking about! I'm curious about this, was the play actually between the axle and the bearings? Why doesn't that go away when you mount the wheel and tighten up the axle screws?

I would have thought the force from tightening the wheel into place squeezed the outer collars tight to the inner races of the bearings, so there couldn't be no play there. But there could be substantial play in the bearings themself I guess, could that be mistaken for axle play?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Naugas
    Hey, you actually seem to have experience from these hubs and know what you are talking about! I'm curious about this, was the play actually between the axle and the bearings? Why doesn't that go away when you mount the wheel and tighten up the axle screws?

I would have thought the force from tightening the wheel into place squeezed the outer collars tight to the inner races of the bearings, so there couldn't be no play there. But there could be substantial play in the bearings themself I guess, could that be mistaken for axle play?
    To be honest I can't remember exactly how they go together. But I do remember the collars slipped on to the axle and had 1 tiny allen set screw. And washers were involved. For some reason tightening the wheel didn't effect this (if it did the wheels wouldn't spin at all right ? cause on a bmx bike you need to tighten them pretty firmly.) Whatever it was they actually had side to side play with the wheel bolts fully torqued down. Also, one of the bearings on the front hub I had would actually just fall out of the hub bodies... total crap tolerances. My friends dad had similar experiences with his as well. All of my friends and I switched to tnt hubs when they came out, they were the hot **** on the east coast - totally bulletproof and amazing "spin" with no play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast