CS2
    mtbr member

Build em or sell em?

This is for those who enjoy the build as much as the ride. Do you sell your projects upon completion or add them to the collection?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I have a problem.

Even if they are ugly, and I will never ride them, I keep them.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Though not very successful, I try and unload them to future possible riding buddies. so far my brother, and father in law or riding around on mismatched 80's splatter painted mountain bikes... I can't imagine why I don't have any more takers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    This is for those who enjoy the build as much as the ride. Do you sell your projects upon completion or add them to the collection?
    There is a saying in the art world: "Dealers are just collectors who ran out of room."

mtbr member
    It is a new year and time for change. I am committed to purging excess bike junk from the garage in 2014. One does not need a box with 32 XT/XTR/XC Pro deraileurs. No, for real this time. No really I am. Honest. This time it's going to be different.

I tend to pass off my seconds to extended family members who appreciate it to varying degrees. I am proud to say I have one niece who cruises around campus on a WTR, and another who cruises the neighborhood on a Pinnacle. After that it's mostly Specialized and Unipig's.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Family jewels should stay in the family, and should be occasionally dusted off to appreciate the jewel for what it is. Then admired once a day to put the brain into a positive space and reassure faith that the world is a great place and everything is going to be ok. Viva la vintage mtb!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    Family jewels should stay in the family, and should be occasionally dusted off to appreciate the jewel for what it is. Then admired once a day to put the brain into a positive space and reassure faith that the world is a great place and everything is going to be ok. Viva la vintage mtb!
    This quote may convince my wife to continue to park outside through 2014!

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    That is funny! Happy New Year

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can only keep 3, besides my regular rides. VRCs fulfill my desire to keep buying bike stuff, fixing bikes and treasure hunting. I will keep what I like, and sell what I can't keep. I am constantly building or culling my collection.

The best part of VRCs is that even if I buy a ton of stuff, they will keep their value till sell. I've gone the path of building new bikes and selling after while. That sir is money pit. VRCs rock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think I have realized that the hunt and build is just as fun as the ride. I have kept the ones that I ride and have sold the owns that I have just looked at.
    It is all about rotation.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Most bikes I get with the intention of keeping and riding (unless its bought as a flipper from the start). Some I end up moving along because I loose interest either pre or post completion, and others I've sold because even though I liked the end result, they honestly didn't ride or fit very well. The goal is to end up with bikes that I like to have and also like to ride.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Sergeant Spandex
    I haven't sold a bike in over a year, although I have bought several. I did break one however....

mtbr member
    Trade up.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Team Brooklyn
    I sold one - then felt so badly bought two exactly like it.
    Well one was same size and year, the other smaller and made 2 years earlier but both the same model.
    In 2014 I plan to sell one of them.
    Maybe.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Sneaker man
    orly...
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    If they ride the way I like, I keep them. If they don't, I sell them.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    If they ride the way I like, I keep them. If they don't, I sell them.
    You still have the Bontrager? What about the Salsas? I like those bikes. The Bonty looks so good.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have a few that I bought just to sell but I just haven't gotten around to selling them...for 3 years.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    You still have the Bontrager? What about the Salsas? I like those bikes. The Bonty looks so good.
    Yes, but after several more rides on it, it'll probably go away in 2014. I still have both my 86 Scoboni Custom and my 91 Ala Carte which I intend to keep...Salsas ride soooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    I have a few that I bought just to sell but I just haven't gotten around to selling them...for 3 years.
    Haha! Nice. Been there!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy View Post
    Most bikes I get with the intention of keeping and riding (unless its bought as a flipper from the start). Some I end up moving along because I loose interest either pre or post completion, and others I've sold because even though I liked the end result, they honestly didn't ride or fit very well. The goal is to end up with bikes that I like to have and also like to ride.
    This pretty much describes me as well.

Although... I have a tendency to end up with too many bikes so occasionally I sell off bikes that I really like just because I need to own fewer bikes - I've been in that mode for a few months.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I like to build bikes and keep the nice ones and sell the rest. Since coming to these forums, I've shied away from FS bikes (I have 90% of all the Control Tech frames though) and have gotten more into the late 80's and early 90's MTB's. When I get the Commando, I'll be done.
    For awhile....