mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Brodie Expresso 1994

Hi,
    this gonna be my first build thread over here and I am really looking forward to get some thoughts...

What is it about? A couple of months ago I decided to get a second bike next to my Lobster and I had to decide to take another classic or a modern bike. The purpose I had and still have in mind are endurance xc rides (no races) about 12h+ and/or up to 200km. After long weeks of thinking back and forth I decided to give a classic another chance and I narrowed it down to suspension corrected Bontrager or Brodie and finally found a Brodie Expresso being build on April 18th 1994.

After a few tryouts on tire size and stem options

I got my hands on one of my favorite forks

I will swap the tires but keeping it as fat as possible (2.35-2.4 front and 2.25 rear) and the remaining major question refers to the brake setup...

Cheers,
    Marco

gobsmacked Moderator
    nice noodle. Brodies are underrated. Ask away about your brake questions...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks. As for Brodie in general I couldn't find much of them here, what made me curious about them. As for my brake setup, I'd like to use the same lever for f+r but was thinking to use a Vbrake in the front. Despite the lack of nice Vbrakes for a more or less period correct build, the lever options are quite narrow as well. Second thought was about a Crosstop or similiar brakes in the front as they are working with the same lever as cantis, am I right? Does someone has some riding experience with them?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    nice noodle. Brodies are underrated. Ask away about your brake questions...
    I always liked them. A lot. Always wanted one. Either the Sovereign or the Expresso. Don´t find them popping around much though.
    NIce red.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by caemis View Post
    Thanks. As for Brodie in general I couldn't find much of them here, what made me curious about them. As for my brake setup, I'd like to use the same lever for f+r but was thinking to use a Vbrake in the front. Despite the lack of nice Vbrakes for a more or less period correct build, the lever options are quite narrow as well. Second thought was about a Crosstop or similiar brakes in the front as they are working with the same lever as cantis, am I right? Does someone has some riding experience with them?
    Will the crosstop clear a 2.4 tire?? You could go w/ a Paul v lever and a Paul canti lever . I would go w/ 2 entirely different levers just to be crazy. It´s a mountain bike! No need to obey velominatti rules of taste.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Congrats on the Brodie M (see, I can learn GOB), the fork looks bullet proof too, what brand? I think the Paul's would do nicely if you're willing to drop a few euros, either black or silver levers would look nice. I have a spare XT V-brake and a Ritchey canti (both silver), they'd be free, but likely shipping would not make it economical. I agree the rear brake noodle is an elegant solution to cable routing around the seatpost, wish my Salsa had that feature. Congrats again and looking forward to seeing the full build. Cheers, B

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    As for the fork question, ignore that it's a Pace right?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    Congrats on the Brodie M (see, I can learn GOB), the fork looks bullet proof too, what brand? I think the Paul's would do nicely if you're willing to drop a few euros, either black or silver levers would look nice. I have a spare XT V-brake and a Ritchey canti (both silver), they'd be free, but likely shipping would not make it economical. I agree the rear brake noodle is an elegant solution to cable routing around the seatpost, wish my Salsa had that feature. Congrats again and looking forward to seeing the full build. Cheers, B
    Cute! He signed off as Marco though!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    As for the fork question, ignore that it's a Pace right?
    Yes indeed, its a Pace RC 30.

@colker1: its a good question if the Crosstop clears the tire... Avid Ultimate lever would be a clean solution I guess but going crazy - will see. Thanks

artistic...
    Yes indeed, its a Pace RC 30.

@colker1: its a good question if the Crosstop clears the tire... Avid Ultimate lever would be a clean solution I guess but going crazy - will see. Thanks
    Cantis are better than Vs at clearing big tires, something you want up front. Otoh V brakes avoid fork shimmy. My favourite canti brakes are the xtr m900.

the new Gilbert Grape
    its a good question if the Crosstop clears the tire... Avid Ultimate lever would be a clean solution I guess but going crazy - will see. Thanks
    Here's a pic of a pair of Cross Stops that I ran on a bike for a while. The tire is a 2.1 Yeti FRO tire and it clears fine mounted to a Judy. You can judge how well a 2.3 would fit - the distance between the mounts can vary by frame and fork.

As far as your earlier question, "how well do they work?" I don't remember them being better or worse than cantis. They were fine. They require more effort to set up than cantis. When you first install them take time getting them working right is pretty time consuming.

The Cross Stops were introduced to be used on full-suspension frames where there was no mounting point for a rear cable stop. The Mantis that I was using them had a rear stop, but it was less than ideally located so I went with the Paul's. If you need them they work fine, but they're heavier and more complicated than cantis so only use them if they're needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brodie Expresso 1994-128_2880.jpg  

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator
    My vote is obviously front and rear cantis as intended.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I found a good solution - its something LOGIC and matches my lever as well as an optional stem and saddle... Now I just need to wait everything to arrive

And @laffeaux: thank you for the picture and advise regarding the Crosstop!

artistic...
    I found a good solution - its something LOGIC and matches my lever as well as an optional stem and saddle... Now I just need to wait everything to arrive

And @laffeaux: thank you for the picture and advise regarding the Crosstop!
    The stem there is nice. Not common, not easy to find. Light and pretty. If it fits, leave it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Which stem do you mean? The ControlTech or the black Ritchey? (I like them both )

artistic...
    Which stem do you mean? The ControlTech or the black Ritchey? (I like them both )
    Control Tech.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

This is my current solution for the front brake, I actually dont know if it will work.

In general, the bike in its current state:

With 2.2 in the rear as the seattubes does not allow a wider tire .
    Cheers and a nice weekend, hopefully out riding!

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I can't wait to see this project built.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Marco,

Look likes it is coming along nicely, I'm assuming there's not much fork steerer on there, hence the small gap for the hanger/stop. You could always get the fork steerer extended (~$60 E?). By the way, is that a WTB hanger? Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thank you both Vlad & Mr.Claus. Indeed the steerer is on the short site for this but I could swap it completley with this kind of fork. Bu maybe I will use the Mag 21 instead anyway... And B, the hanger is not an original WTB hanger rather a repro of one of our forum users - if you need one, let me know

On the weekend I'll probably get all the missing parts and can fnish the build...
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Having a vintage Brodie really deserves Canadian parts I recommend a matching Brodie stem if you can find or a matching Syncros stem and period black Shimano cantis/hubs/cranks/araya rims. As it rests very cool and a real ripper tho.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Regarding the stem I am with you; if I find a Brodie stem or some other nice steel stem in this dimension I'll take it! I dont like Syncros stems ... As for the brakes; I maybe switch on black Shimanos but the rest is final ... Building a Singlespeed with new tires and 30° stem my preferences were clearly not period correct But it rides well

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    sounds good thats my fave Brodie model

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I met Paul Brodie at NAHBS in Salt Lake City this year. He is the nicest, most humble unassuming friendly man. He encouraged me to buy a copy of his book. It was great reading, money well spent. I don't recall seeing any discussion here about it.

Here's a review:
    The Man Behind Brodie Bikes: Paul Brodie Book Review | Cycle EXIF

ISBN-10: 0995065802, ISBN-13: 978-0995065802

At NAHBS, Paul was showing a stunning townie bike he made with a shaft drive. There was something about dumpster diving for a particular crappy bike to get the drive-train off it and build this new bike around that. Ah, here it is...

After:
    The Right Angle: Paul Brodie's Shaft-Drive Cruiser | Cycle EXIF
    Before:
    Be Like Bevel: Paul Brodie's Shaft-Drive Cruiser | Cycle EXIF

I only knew of Paul in the '90's as having some connection to Kona bikes. I'm sorry it's taken this long to learn more about him.

/nice ride, OP

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    + 1 ; Pauls book is a great piece of mountainbike literature

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Paul's book uncovered little known information about the relationship between him and TGB/Kona. The back stabbing and struggling to pay lawyers all the while forging ahead with design and dreams. And continued to rise above the crap to create/fabricate/paint/teach/write/ride. Brodie bikes were just one of his accomplishments. Everyone should read his book. It is a fine example of triumph over adversity. Still to this day he isn't slowing down with his fabrication and teaching. I feel very lucky to know him. A pillar in Canadian MTB history.

mtbr member
    +1. The book is a good read, and I learned several things about Brodie bikes along the way (and I knew a lot before).
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015