Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by High Gear
    I'm still looking. Anyone see a 55cm, PM me.
    I have actually run across several 55's over the years. I even bought a 55cm MB2 because I thought it was a 52. 2 weeks later I found a 52and picked it up too. I may know where a 55cm MB-0 is if you are interested. I didn't buy it because, again, I like teh 52cm for myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther
    I have actually run across several 55's over the years. I even bought a 55cm MB2 because I thought it was a 52. 2 weeks later I found a 52and picked it up too. I may know where a 55cm MB-0 is if you are interested. I didn't buy it because, again, I like teh 52cm for myself.
    I want to stay away from the Zip's. From what I read, the frames are prone to cracking. I would love to find an '89 or '90 MB-1. I'll wait. It may take some time. But PM me if you see something in good to excellemt condition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I am also interested in a 55 cm MB1

though I am particularly interested in a 92-94 edition.

If you are interested in a 21" 1986 MB2 that the owner claims has never been ridden offroad, and looks it from the pics of it I have seen, PM me and I will point you to it.
    Looking for a 20-21 inch (L/XL) steel/ti hardtail frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I owned a 55cm '91 Zip and '91 MB-3, both of which I bought new. I got the Zip on closeout from Bridgestone after they announced they were closing up shop in 1994 or so - they had a bunch of them in a warehouse and sold them for $535 to shop employees (of which I was one at the time). The Zip was a great bike and survived a lot of abuse at my hands. I never found it unduly fragile, though it got a giant dent in the top tube from my bar end once when I laid it down. I ultimately stripped the parts to put on my Serotta ATi and sold the frame/BB to my roommate (who also had a Zip) for $50. Actually the front Mavic hub and front thumbshifter were on the Serotta for many years, until it was stolen out of my garage a couple of years ago (the rear was an 8-speed XT RF+ to match my Shimano rear drivetrain.

My MB-3 was my first mountain bike, and by the time I got rid of it, that thing was beat to hell, but it withstood thousands of miles of riding over all sorts of terrain. I had a first-gen Answer Manitou fork on it for most of its service life.

Certified Bike Junkie
    :d.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

gobsmacked Moderator
    good offer. read the stickies and get an ad in the classified section here: Login - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories only $2 and a great deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

classified problem

I'm trying to list my MB-1 in the classified and twice now it appeared to submitt but just took me back to the page. I don't see it listed under My Ad's. any suggestions?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtBMaMa View Post
    I'm trying to list my MB-1 in the classified and twice now it appeared to submitt but just took me back to the page. I don't see it listed under My Ad's. any suggestions?

You may need 10 posts to post an ad. Try going to the test forum posted below, get to ten and then try again? Sorry it's not the easiest thing to do having done so myself but I'm pretty sure you'll be successful. Thanks mtb mama!

test forum - Mtbr Forums

Oh! One other thing: Make sure your images aren't too big (195k in file size or smaller, 1024 pixels wide or tall or less)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks, my pics may have been too big so I'll check on that, and check your test.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtBMaMa View Post
    thanks, my pics may have been too big so I'll check on that, and check your test.

Digging around other people with issues, I'm leaning with the resizing picture solution.

Thanks!
    Last edited by girlonbike; 08-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    How did I miss this thread when it was fresh? I'm leaning towards the '89 MB-1 as my favorite too. Especially since I just picked up another one, in my size, and without a top tube dent. Here's the first '89 I picked up, which I posted a few years ago. This is what a 21"/55cm MB-1 looks like.

Bridgestone MB-1 - Best year made?-img_1405.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff View Post
    How did I miss this thread when it was fresh? I'm leaning towards the '89 MB-1 as my favorite too. Especially since I just picked up another one, in my size, and without a top tube dent. Here's the first '89 I picked up, which I posted a few years ago. This is what a 21"/55cm MB-1 looks like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1405.JPG 
Views:	1306 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	719106
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

'94. Mb-1 still available

Check out the classifieds. My 1995 MB-1 is still for sell! Great ride!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I've thought about selling my '87 MB-1 several times to make room for newer rides, but every time I get close to the edge I quickly scramble away. It's just too cool. I love it.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by HeHateMe444 View Post
    I've thought about selling my '87 MB-1 several times to make room for newer rides, but every time I get close to the edge I quickly scramble away. It's just too cool. I love it.
    That is probably the coolest year of them all. Don't let it go.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    That is probably the coolest year of them all. Don't let it go.
    That's the one with the drop bars, eh? I'm also a fan of the 89.

artistic...
    I like 1990, 91, 92 because i was crazy about buying one then but i had to ship it from the states and it was easier to just buy something from the LBS.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yes, '87 is the one with the drops. And although I still have the original bars, mine is currently sporting Casey's Crazy Bars.

Bridgestone MB-1 - Best year made?-1987_bridgestone_mb1.jpg

mtbr member
    I've owned several different MB-1s over the years. I ultimately settled on a '94, the final year. I put a lot of miles on an '87 and really enjoyed the drop bars, but ultimately the late model fork with the "best looking crown ever" won out. I like the color of he '94 MB-1 a lot, but the paint tends to fall off if you look at it.

This is my current MB-1. It's a bit of a beater, but it gets me around the neighborhood well enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgestone MB-1 - Best year made?-20171227_144136.jpg  

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

No known cure
    This was posted by Garro at Coconino nearly a year ago. I suppose I could've posted this in the retro/modern thread. Check out number 6

Thinking about resolutions bike wise:
    1: No BB shells under 73mm again unless a NOS unit is supplied and made for appropriate width tires of the era.
    2: No OLD's of under 135 except special cases (see #1)
    3: I will make bikes with rear spacing of 135mm and Boost 148mm with appropriate cranks
    4: 440 ATC on rigid forks max
    5: No curved blade forks with discs - just no.
    6: Make a run of rigid MTB's along the lines of the MB-1 with lugged forks, 1.125" top tubes, 1.25" down tubes and rim brakes
    7: Mountain Cruisers = YES
    8: Frames & forks will be priced "No Paint" but I can facilitate paint, but 1st I'll be PIF on my frame work & you pay the painter - I'll still be glad to built it for you if you choose.
    9: I'll lace wheels for people again separate of bike purchases as I have made time for that.
    10: Fully rigid bikes will be made with a 1.125" head tube, as they should be.
    11: Modern MTB parts and road parts shall not mix.
    12: Rigid forks shall be 9mm QR
    13: Rigid forks with frames only.
    14: I build for 120mm travel forks max.
    15: I build for 3.0" tires max.
    16: NO BUILD QUEUE - one bike at a time.
    17: NO DEPOSITS - one bike at a time.
    18: All shipping of anything to anywhere paid by client.
    More later as I jell my "new" business model, as after the next bike, I have no orders here at Coconino Cycles for the 1st time in 14 years.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    This was posted by Garro at Coconino nearly a year ago. I suppose I could've posted this in the retro/modern thread. Check out number 6

Thinking about resolutions bike wise:
    1: No BB shells under 73mm again unless a NOS unit is supplied and made for appropriate width tires of the era.
    2: No OLD's of under 135 except special cases (see #1)
    3: I will make bikes with rear spacing of 135mm and Boost 148mm with appropriate cranks
    4: 440 ATC on rigid forks max
    5: No curved blade forks with discs - just no.
    6: Make a run of rigid MTB's along the lines of the MB-1 with lugged forks, 1.125" top tubes, 1.25" down tubes and rim brakes
    7: Mountain Cruisers = YES
    8: Frames & forks will be priced "No Paint" but I can facilitate paint, but 1st I'll be PIF on my frame work & you pay the painter - I'll still be glad to built it for you if you choose.
    9: I'll lace wheels for people again separate of bike purchases as I have made time for that.
    10: Fully rigid bikes will be made with a 1.125" head tube, as they should be.
    11: Modern MTB parts and road parts shall not mix.
    12: Rigid forks shall be 9mm QR
    13: Rigid forks with frames only.
    14: I build for 120mm travel forks max.
    15: I build for 3.0" tires max.
    16: NO BUILD QUEUE - one bike at a time.
    17: NO DEPOSITS - one bike at a time.
    18: All shipping of anything to anywhere paid by client.
    More later as I jell my "new" business model, as after the next bike, I have no orders here at Coconino Cycles for the 1st time in 14 years.
    Yeah!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    That's the one with the drop bars, eh? I'm also a fan of the 89.

I had 2 different '89s over the years and really liked them, too. I still have a Koski fork from one of those '89s hanging in my shop just waiting for the right project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 55