mtbr member

Breezer Pictures

Haven't seen a breezer thread yet.

anyone have one???

lets see em.....

--
    CR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crconsulting; 04-11-2004 at 08:46 PM.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Here's mine.. Currently undergoing a small transaction to a singlespeed for a up comming 6hr race about two weeks... The bar will be changed as well.. Will take some pictures as soon as I have some decent bar-tape on it

For now, you should do it with these ones...

Features a complete XT II groupset, complete with modified rear hub that suites 8spd, thumbies, Chris King headset without laser engraved logo's, Cook RSR cranks, Araya RM17 rims and DT Revo spokes... Bike weighs in at a 10.2kg, which was lighter than I expected. Sweet ride! (Seatpost will be changed for a Kingsbery Ti version)
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Beautiful American Frame

I thought this was a Breezer therad though

mtbr member

Beautiful American Breezer Frame

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne

It is........

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Before the steel Breezers (like the purple one above), American Bicycles made aluminum Breezers - late 80s to early 90s. Very nice frames. I like the red Ritchey tires.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Ahhh....so desidned by counts

Which American frames did he design for them?

mtbr member
    Im pretty sure it was all of them. Didnt Angel (the hite rite guy) or Rodriguez do the welding for these?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Im pretty sure it was all of them. Didnt Angel (the hite rite guy) or Rodriguez do the welding for these?
    Nice Breezer Jeroen!!!

Only the American Breezer was designed by Joe. They were made by American Bicycle Mfg. in Minnesota.(also made the Berillium Bike, who remembers that?) I put new stickers on my bike back in 89 or 90. but also have the original breezer stickers. I'll post a pic of them later. They give the bike more of classic breezer look.

The new breezers are also "Designed" by joe as he never really built any of those either they just have his name on them and building was farmed out to a company overseas. the only "true" breezers (if you want to be a purist) are the first run of fillet brazed steel bikes. back in the late 70's.

ahhh now who has one of those???? lets see em......

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Which American frames did he design for them?
    He definitely did the aluminum Breezer. The other American frame at the time (besides the Montanaus which had an adjustable head angle) was the M-16. The M16 was similar to the Breezer, but had shorter chainstays. I don't know if Joe was involved in the design of any of the other American made frames.

Angel Rodriguez was involved in R&A cycles up in Seattle at the time but I can't remember the level he may have been involved with American or Breezer. I do remember some loose association between Breeze, Rodriguez and American at the time and can't remember what exactly the tie-in was. I do remember an aluminum Rodriguez tandem that was made about the same time as the al Breezers - very similar style between the Rodriguez tandem and Breezers. It's possible that American Bicycle simply welded both the Rodriguez tandem as well as the Breezers.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    Nice Breezer Jeroen!!!
    Thanks

The new breezers are also "Designed" by joe as he never really built any of those either they just have his name on them and building was farmed out to a company overseas. the only "true" breezers (if you want to be a purist) are the first run of fillet brazed steel bikes. back in the late 70's.

ahhh now who has one of those???? lets see em......

Hodaka did virtually all the steel and later alu Breezer frames, like my '94 Storm pictured above.

*Hodaka is the one that makes frame for a lot of people... The VooDoo's come from there as far as I know... and Scott lets their frames build there, to name a few...

Here's a Joe fillet brazed Lightning...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Holy Chromoly!!
    Here some Breezer Pic's;

this one is a '78 version. Picture came from mtbr.com a 2-3 years back as I recall...

another vintage Breezer;

Some various J.B.'s creation's:

Got more where that came from.. but I'm through with uploading this evening. More later

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Jeroen]Here some Breezer Pic's;

this one is a '78 version. Picture came from mtbr.com a 2-3 years back as I recall...

Ahh yes I had a chance to buy one of those, a Koski, or a Cook Bros. and ended up buying the Cooks. Looking back I kind of kick my self in the ass now as I feel that Breezer was the best of the three. although my Cooks has serverd me well through the years.

its in the foreground. I'll post some pics of it later.

there's some real retro grouches on this board!!

right on!!

mtbr member
    WOW! That one that says Hutch's bicycles or whatever in the corner is awesome! Id love to have one of those. Was that the original style stem all the way back then? It looks pretty modern.

Steel is Real!
    Apr 2004
    Nice Breezer Jeroen!!!

.(also made the Berillium Bike, who remembers that?) ......
    Certainly do - but can't remember if that was the one with the holes cut out all over it? (looked like a swiss cheese). I wanted one badly - but 18 k for the frame ISTR!

banned

New question here. Uh..."ISTR" means what, exactly? (nm)

nmnmnm

Holy Chromoly!!
    Ahh yes I had a chance to buy one of those, a Koski, or a Cook Bros. and ended up buying the Cooks.

Could you help me getting more pictures on that Koski Trailmaster?? I only have the '98 Steve Potts Koski Trailmaster, that never got into production.. or at least just a few... and the Trailmaster of Matt Hebberd. Got only one fluffy picture of a rusty SS bike...

mtbr member

Koski

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen
    Could you help me getting more pictures on that Koski Trailmaster?? I only have the '98 Steve Potts Koski Trailmaster, that never got into production.. or at least just a few... and the Trailmaster of Matt Hebberd. Got only one fluffy picture of a rusty SS bike...

If your talking about the picture I uploaded the bikes in that picture are (in order) Cook Bros., Steve Potts Swift (pretty rare steve said theres only 50 of those), Cunningham Indian #43, American Breezer, Ritchey Super Comp, Kestrel CSX (my latest rig), Manitou HT (w/full grafton gruppo).

that being said I may have a picture of a Koski but it dates pre trailmaster more of a cruiser like that Cook Bros. I have to dig thru my stuff.

mtbr member
    Very cool bike. Pretty steep angles for a 1980 MTB. I like that Koski fork, it looks like it came straight off an 89 Bridgestone MB-1 with that color. Notice the big fat Ground Control Extreme 2.5 on the front. That was the ticket in the pre suspension days. Very tall and cushy. Thats gotta be one of the earlier SS dirt riders???? Well, maybe not. I guess MTBing started out with only one gear!!

Steel is Real!
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by >>ECB<<
    nmnmnm

" I seem to remember / recall"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    jeroen,
    i was about to comment in the mistaken belief that you are german, that germans, going on what i have seen on this board, have an unbelievable and in fact over-proportional amount of old-school mtb parts, esp ones from the cnc era.
    anyway, the observation still stands: what's up with germans and cnc-era bike parts, often bought and sold at prices way, way over anything seen stateside? anyone care to proffer an explanation? (yes, i am taunting you germans to come out and explain yourselves!)
    tim
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    jeroen,
    i was about to comment in the mistaken belief that you are german, that germans, going on what i have seen on this board, have an unbelievable and in fact over-proportional amount of old-school mtb parts, esp ones from the cnc era.
    anyway, the observation still stands: what's up with germans and cnc-era bike parts, often bought and sold at prices way, way over anything seen stateside? anyone care to proffer an explanation? (yes, i am taunting you germans to come out and explain yourselves!)
    tim

Ghehe... I really cannot tell you what the true story behind that whole thingy is...

First; Im not German. I'm Dutch, from the Netherlands so to speak. 22 yrs old and myself riding since 1997. In that periode I got all hooked up with mtb-ing seeing those polished GT's with green Michelin tires and yellow Judy forks... Bikes like that made me getting into the sport. I noticed the years after that, that no bike gave me the same feeling as those GT's and others gave me.. So thats how I started liking old stuff....

Don't know what the rest of the German's (who I know well/not well all from this german classic website) are up to, most of them are at least a few years older.

A lot is going to germany, I know.. perhaps because most of the stuff wasn't available back than, or if, they were very rare. That contributes to the 'cult status' some parts are given and explain partly the prices payed for some article's.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Very cool bike. Pretty steep angles for a 1980 MTB. I like that Koski fork, it looks like it came straight off an 89 Bridgestone MB-1 with that color. Notice the big fat Ground Control Extreme 2.5 on the front. That was the ticket in the pre suspension days. Very tall and cushy. Thats gotta be one of the earlier SS dirt riders???? Well, maybe not. I guess MTBing started out with only one gear!!
    Very on-topic;

Nice fact; Joe Breeze was the last one to get on to a geared bike. His first Breezer, which was the first purpose-built MTB was the first bike he had off-road, with gears....

Before that he was pedaling with two very large chainrings up and more down Mt. Tamalpais. At least.. thats what he told us

Holy Chromoly!!
    Right, here the pictures I just took of my Breezer Storm, rebuild as a Singlespeed and with the WTB Offroad dropbars. This is just temporarily, since I will get the Breezer back on its XT II setup and will mount the WTB bar on my Bontrager OR which I will build up as a SS ride too, as soon as I have enough parts and have restored that frame.

This is the weapon of choice for the 6hr Relay race I will participate next sunday as a member of the 3 headed team 'Singlespeed.nl'.

As usual with these bars, I had to choose for a fairly steep stem, to get the grip position on the right hight compared to a flat bar. This bar is also a bit wider than I am used too, so my position is slightly deeper.

I have two of these bars. One will get on the Bontrager, as mentioned, and the other will get on my WTB Phoenix, which will be geared. Both these frames have the slight advantage over the Breezer, of having a taller headtube. Getting the right position (hight mainly) won't be too difficult on those rides.

Here my DeKerf Team SL aside the Breezer Storm. You can cleary see that the difference in grip hight isn't very much. That's what we want. Nevertheless I will try to get a slightly higher position on the Phoenix and Bontrager, when I build those up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

'94 Breezer Storm

Here's the "brother" of the purple Breezer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

'94 Breezer Storm

Here's the "brother" of the other purple Breezer storm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast