Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

"The Breezer" 1980 Series 2 Joe Breezer #11

n 1980-81 Breeze built a second series of Breezer mountain bikes to follow up the first Series 1 set of 10. This bike is serial number 11 aka J.B. 80-11. (1980, #11). Making this essentially the 21st bike Joe Breeze ever made.

We found this bike about a year ago and have been communicating with the owner (original owner) since then. The owner was friends with Joe and was part of the original Pearl Pass rides in Crested Butte in the early 80's. This bike rode out with Cunningham, Ritchey and Breezer from CA => CO via the infamous bus to complete the ride.

I am pressed for time but wanted to share a couple teaser photos before putting it in our photo studio and sharing it properly. The bike needs some parts to bring it back to stock and we are happy to say that the bike will go to a great home (another passionate collector) and be restored to its original glory.

Whewww this one gives me goose bumps.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I can't believe that you find one of the rarest mountain bikes on the planet and the first think that you do with it is pull wheelies in the parking lot.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Kinda stealing the thunder of the new owner who is a forum regular dontcha think? Although maybe he asked you to post this since his sheet needs to be ironed in which case, sorry!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Kinda stealing the thunder of the new owner who is a forum regular dontcha think? Although maybe he asked you to post this since his sheet needs to be ironed in which case, sorry!
    Really? We were the ones that found the bike. The collector is a close friend of ours and we are very excited to see this bike in the right hands. The collector asked us to post it here as well.

mtbr member
    I would like one of these for my collection also.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    The collector must be pleased. Very pleased.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Are you the guys his wife brake checked?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Are you the guys his wife brake checked?
    Not sure what you are referring to?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by theproscloset View Post
    We were the ones that found the bike.
    You sure?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Not sure what you are referring to?
    ah inside joke. Nice bike!

Are the tires those old non-tubeless type?

velocipede technician
    So much lurking
    looking for 20-21" P team

Humanoid Lobster
    If it ends up not being his size I hope you'll take out a $2 ad here. It's the right thing to do.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Such a cool bike, congrats to all those involved!

passed out in your garden

Re: "The Breezer" 1980 Series 2 Joe Breezer #11

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I can't believe that you find one of the rarest mountain bikes on the planet and the first think that you do with it is pull wheelies in the parking lot.
    and good on him for that
    I mean, at the end of the day its a bike, it needs to be ridden
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    You sure?
    Yes Eric, we are sure. I think you have misunderstood the real story. Yes the collector's wife did rear end the original owner of the bike (in their cars) at one time. However that was a complete coincidence. They never talked bikes.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Love this stuff, would love to hear the history from the previous rider. Ya baby!

Retro on Steroids
    This is certainly one of the most collectible bikes on the planet, not just for the rarity but for the influence it had on the rest of the cycling world. The most recent sale of an original series Breezer was in the neighborhood of $27,000. Only a one-off bike like an Hour Record or a gold-plated TdF winner would command a higher price.

Of the first series (ten bikes), "Breezer #1" (Joe's own bike) is now in the collection of the Smithsonian Institution. Shimano now owns one, and another two are in the hands of private collectors. Breezer #2 (my bike) is now 99.999% of the distance home from Crested Butte, residing in storage while awaiting the opening of the new MTB HoF and Bicycling museum in Fairfax. I haven't seen it for nearly 20 years, and I am looking forward to the opening in the spring.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    As the recipient of this rare bike, I want to clarify that The Pros Closet should be given credit for having had the original owner of the bike approach them about selling it. Over the course of 6 months, diligence by both parties resulted in this bike coming to light. At that point The Pros Closet generously put me in direct contact with the original owner, with no financial benefit to them. So, credit where credit is due.

As an aside, my wife was driving home a few months ago and got rear-ended by the original owner. We did not know it at the time, but it was a crazy coincidence when all the pieces came together. So, the lesson here is, when your wife gets in a fender-bender, have her ask the other driver if they have any vintage bikes they would like to sell. You never know what might be hidden in your home town.

There will be much more to come as I work with the original owner to put it back to the original build.

mtbr member
    Figured it had to be you that snagged this one DC, congrats, glad to see she's going to a good home

VRC Illuminati
    Yes Eric, we are sure. I think you have misunderstood the real story. Yes the collector's wife did rear end the original owner of the bike (in their cars) at one time. However that was a complete coincidence. They never talked bikes.

My apologies, I did get the story wrong. Crazy small world though!
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Breezer #2 (my bike) is now 99.999% of the distance home from Crested Butte, residing in storage while awaiting the opening of the new MTB HoF and Bicycling museum in Fairfax. I haven't seen it for nearly 20 years, and I am looking forward to the opening in the spring.
    Are you going to put a few rides on it first just for ole' time sake before it goes back on display?
    -eric-

slow
    Congrats DC! Looking forward to your completed build and your high quality photos of the finished product. This bike is yet another reason for me to plan a visit to your place.

mtbr member
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Congrats DC! Looking forward to your completed build and your high quality photos of the finished product. This bike is yet another reason for me to plan a visit to your place.
    We need to organize a vintage ride for this spring. I'll show up with this bike.

mtbr member
    So this bike will be residing on the Front Range?
    Any times for viewing?
    Did you get your bike vault recarpeted? I install carpet and would love to help out if you still need carpet.
    I'll be in the Denver/FtCollins area till 1/4.

mtbr member
    Yes, remaining on the Front Range where it has been since 1982.

The bike vault has been recarpeted. Thank you for asking. I'm sure you've been busy the last few months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast