'Calm Down'

Bontrager Single Speed on eBay

Not mine: Bontrager Single Speed

This is one of the few Single Speed converts done at Bontrager's Santa Cruz Factory by Kirk Pacenti when he worked there. Thought a few Bontrager die hards might want to have a look as these are rare. In fact this is only the 4th "Factory" SS I've found for sale in the last 7 years.

jw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

No Justice = No Peace

Bontrage SS

He has had it on Craigslist for a while at $1100. Guess he's going to take what he can get now.... Wish it were my size.

mtbr member
    The paint job on that frame is certainly beat up for only 10 rides a year.
    Ventana El Rey - 3x9
    Schwinn High Plains w/ drop bars - 3x8
    Surly Ogre - Alfine 8/SS

'Calm Down'
    Nope, different bike. I saw the one on Craigslist and that one was converted by Sycip I believe. And it was a large.
    The one on eBay is a Medium. I guess the guy used to work at a shop across the street from the Bontrager factory and did some work for them. He wrote me a long time ago about mine and gave me a little more history.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    He has had it on Craigslist for a while at $1100. Guess he's going to take what he can get now.... Wish it were my size.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

I wish I saw this sooner.....

I think this was MY bike at one time. I would love to buy it back! Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    I think this was MY bike at one time. I would love to buy it back! Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
    It almost looks like it has a multiple color paint with a dark blue and a dark eggplant. I have seen one other Bontrager with a similar paint and it was owned by a factory employee as well. It's really tough to spot except in direct light as it looks black in anything else. Is this the tipoff by any chance?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    It almost looks like it has a multiple color paint with a dark blue and a dark eggplant. I have seen one other Bontrager with a similar paint and it was owned by a factory employee as well. It's really tough to spot except in direct light as it looks black in anything else. Is this the tipoff by any chance?
    it's too hard to tell what the color is from that pic. The ones I built for myself were dark metalic blue, another was black, and another was a custom "candy apple green". I don't recall any two tone paint jobs on any of the SS conversions I did.

'Calm Down'
    I just sent you some more info via e-mail about the seller.

jw

Last edited by GrumpyOne; 09-26-2006 at 02:22 PM.
    -

VRC Illuminati
    it's too hard to tell what the color is from that pic. The ones I built for myself were dark metalic blue, another was black, and another was a custom "candy apple green". I don't recall any two tone paint jobs on any of the SS conversions I did.

This one belongs go my buddy. Is this your work as well?

Bontrager re-spray colour scheme
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    The other one was green at the headtube blended into en eggplant into a blue at the BB and seat junction back into green at the rear dropout. All done dark so that it looks black except in direct sun light. It also has the BMX stickers. One friend I rode with regularly took a year to notice it wasn't black.

It is a large racelite built to pre-buyout specs with the stepped-down stays and pulley for the deraileur routing. I found it at Dave's Recyled Bikes in SC after the Bonty shop stopped frame production. The story was that it was one of the last frames out of the shop and was made from tubes that were left around as a parting gift for one of the employees ( paint shop guy if I remember correctly). He sold it to Dave's without ever building it.

The story was believable but Dave's wasn't the most honest shop either. I ended up getting the frame in trade for an XXL race I had set up as a half-assed ( also half-fast) cross rig. I was never able to sort out whether I got the straight dope on the frame. The frame was fresh and it had never seen a BB or headset so the story didn't really matter.

cheers

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    This one belongs go my buddy. Is this your work as well?

Bontrager re-spray colour scheme
    Yes, in fact it looks like the first one I ever did. There were only one or two with the extra holes drilled in the drop outs. Who is your friend? That one looks like one I did for Ian Moore.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    The other one was green at the headtube blended into en eggplant into a blue at the BB and seat junction back into green at the rear dropout. All done dark so that it looks black except in direct sun light. It also has the BMX stickers. One friend I rode with regularly took a year to notice it wasn't black.

It is a large racelite built to pre-buyout specs with the stepped-down stays and pulley for the deraileur routing. I found it at Dave's Recyled Bikes in SC after the Bonty shop stopped frame production. The story was that it was one of the last frames out of the shop and was made from tubes that were left around as a parting gift for one of the employees ( paint shop guy if I remember correctly). He sold it to Dave's without ever building it.

The story was believable but Dave's wasn't the most honest shop either. I ended up getting the frame in trade for an XXL race I had set up as a half-assed ( also half-fast) cross rig. I was never able to sort out whether I got the straight dope on the frame. The frame was fresh and it had never seen a BB or headset so the story didn't really matter.

cheers

This could be true. I do recall a couple frames that were converted but never painted, hanging around the shop. I don't know where they ended up though, and I don't recall ever seeing that paint scheem.

mtbr member
    This could be true. I do recall a couple frames that were converted but never painted, hanging around the shop. I don't know where they ended up though, and I don't recall ever seeing that paint scheem.
    Oh, not a SS. It is a std geary. It looked as though the one that started this thread had a similar paint. The blue looks to be the same.

'Calm Down'
    The color of the one in the photo above, per the original owner: "It's midnight blue (not a factory color) with road bike stickers."

jw

-

VRC Illuminati
    Yes, in fact it looks like the first one I ever did. There were only one or two with the extra holes drilled in the drop outs. Who is your friend? That one looks like one I did for Ian Moore.
    This one also popped up on eBay a few years ago. I take all the credit for telling him to buy it. It's the only bike he'll ride now.

I'll see if he knows/remembers who he bought it from (or get him to post here himself).

It's great that you remember your bikes on sight and even the people you made them for. Makes it that much more special.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    The orange one is mine. I don't think it belonged to Ian Moore. The story that I got from the previous owner was that it was built for a Bontrager employee named John. The previous owner ended up trading John an older Bontrager cx frame for the single speed frame before it left the factory. It turned out it was too small for the previous owner and it basically had no miles on it before I got a year and a half ago.

Krik, do you recall about what year this frame was built?

cl

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by C.L.
    The orange one is mine. ?

cl
    killer bike
    looking for 20-21" P team

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Colors

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    The color of the one in the photo above, per the original owner: "It's midnight blue (not a factory color) with road bike stickers."

jw
    JW,

The midnight blue was a stock color. In fact the midnight blue with the silver and yellow panel decals was the most popular color we did.

fwiw, all of my bikes had the road decals too. I liked them much better than the panels.

Cheers,

KP

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by C.L.
    The orange one is mine. I don't think it belonged to Ian Moore. The story that I got from the previous owner was that it was built for a Bontrager employee named John. The previous owner ended up trading John an older Bontrager cx frame for the single speed frame before it left the factory. It turned out it was too small for the previous owner and it basically had no miles on it before I got a year and a half ago.

Krik, do you recall about what year this frame was built?

cl
    There were a couple (2 or 3) Johns there, and I don't recall which one this went to. The reason I thought it may have belonged to Ian was that I know his was the first I did, and it had holes in the drop outs, and it was orange.

It may have belonged to Johh in sales (now at Santa Cruz MTB) or John Turry, but I have know idea where he is today.

That bike was built in early 1994 at the latest, and converted between late '94- and late '96. That is the best I can do as far as dating it goes.

kp
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 09-26-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    I just sent you some more info via e-mail about the seller.

jw
    Thanks!

Old School

Here's one I had awhile back.....

Hey Kirk,
    I picked this up off of ebay awhile back from a guy up in the Tahoe area. I'm pretty sure that he was not the original owner. I got a great deal on the bike and it was a lot of fun to ride. This bike got me hooked on singlespeeding. I ended up selling it off to finance another singlespeed bike project

I tried to contact you through your website email address to pick your brain over the history of this bike but I never got a response

I ended up selling it to a guy here in the Bay Area (Berkeley/Oakland??). I passed on the good deal mojo to him. He was jacked up about owning it

Now I wish I would have hung on to it....how many times have we said that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel
    ...I wish I would have hung on to it
    My hoarding OCD guarantees that i'll never say those words

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Nice!

Hey Kirk,
    I picked this up off of ebay awhile back from a guy up in the Tahoe area. I'm pretty sure that he was not the original owner. I got a great deal on the bike and it was a lot of fun to ride. This bike got me hooked on singlespeeding. I ended up selling it off to finance another singlespeed bike project

I tried to contact you through your website email address to pick your brain over the history of this bike but I never got a response

I ended up selling it to a guy here in the Bay Area (Berkeley/Oakland??). I passed on the good deal mojo to him. He was jacked up about owning it

Now I wish I would have hung on to it....how many times have we said that?
    That's funny! I sold that bike before I even finished welding it....literally. Mike Moore, (Ian's brother) walked into the shop while I was welding it up. I was building it for myself, and he asked to buy it. I said sure, and the rest was history.

He sold it to the guy in NV and I guess you got it from him. I wish I could get this one back too. Sorry you weren't able to reach me, my email is funky sometimes.... Anyway, it's good to se the pics. Did you take any picks of the whishbone chainstays? I thought they were a pretty cool feature.
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

Old School
    That's funny! I sold that bike before I even finished welding it....literally. Mike Moore, (Ian's brother) walked into the shop while I was welding it up. I was building it for myself, and he asked to buy it. I said sure, and the rest was history.

He sold it to the guy in NV and I guess you got it from him. I wish I could get this one back too. Sorry you weren't able to reach me, my email is funky sometimes.... Anyway, it's good to se the pics. Did you take any picks of the whishbone chainstays? I thought they were a pretty cool feature.
    Here are the only two pics I have that barely show the stays.

velocipede technician

so uh.......you still got that guys number?
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Bringing up a ghost thread but I just picked this up. Guy was from the bay area but did not have much info. Any would be appreciated. Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager Single Speed on eBay-8ayg%25dw2rvux2o0qxmjycq.jpg  

Bontrager Single Speed on eBay-hl4dldsesyge2a0z80tzbq.jpg  

Bontrager Single Speed on eBay-lorae8tyq7oc63sxwajhcq.jpg  

Bontrager Single Speed on eBay-zfw86dmftdaot4uxrlfmaw.jpg  

Bontrager Single Speed on eBay-awnn83jfs1gjvfixooro3g.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very cool! Send Kirk an email. He's usually quick to respond.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey Joe, I think I just bought this bike. Same rear hub and LX Gold and black brakes look to be the only parts that are left on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LARRYJO View Post
    Hey Joe, I think I just bought this bike. Same rear hub and LX Gold and black brakes look to be the only parts that are left on it.
    Very cool! Wonder if Kirk still wants it back... ;-) Hope not, for the sake of the moral dilemma you'd face.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

No known cure
    That Pacenti was on FB today. Now it's gone.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    That Pacenti was on FB today. Now it's gone.
    It should still be there. What FB page?