Thread: Bontrager Build

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Bontrager Build

New Thread from the Bontrager page...

Hello everyone and hoping I can begin my project here. I'll try to make this simple...

I recently bought a 97 Bontrager Privateer S Frame and looking to build it up with modern components. I recently saw a "90's" Marin built with Sram 1x11 NX components and it looks fantastic (see pic)...
    My problem is this. What bottom bracket do I even start with to begin my project? Getting started has been difficult.. Any advice on getting a beginning plan together would be grateful.

Quote from Jestep
    You need a standard 68/73mm BSA BB.

But, figure out what crankset you want first, then get the bottom bracket for that crankset. There are bottom bracket / crankset options from square taper, ISIS, Shimano interfaces, and 22/24/24/ and 30mm external cup BB's that will all fit this frame.

But, really, you should probably come up with a budget and general direction you want to go with this. If you just want to get it ridable again with some decent components, you could probably get a used wheels, crankset, BB, cassette, and drivetrain on ebay and only spend a few hundred dollars. Otherwise, you could spend as much as you want as modern components will still fit this frame. The NX route would be somewhere in the middle, you'll need a 68/73mm GXP bottom bracket for that crankset. Otherwise, once you have wheels, the rest of the NX groupset except the brakes should fit. I'd get some Avid FR5 levers and whatever comparable brakes they have these days.

One other thing, is the fork usable at all? These indy's were pretty bad even back in the mid-90's, not even sure if you can get elastomers for them these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager Build-img_3024.jpg  

Hardtail Steel Forever
    OK, so here's the biggest concerns with these.

The headtube is 1in, so you're very limited if you want to replace the fork with another suspension fork. You should still be able to get elastomers for this fork if it's blown out. They weren't great forks, but as far as usability, they do work.

If you do decide you want a new fork, you'll likely need to get a new 1in threadless headset, the new fork, and a new stem.

If you want to go with the NX 1x11, this is roughly the direction I would go with this. If you have your own preferences, you can obviously change out components as needed. You could probably get the cost down a lot to get on ebay and get era LX and XT level components. They're easy to find and are usually cheap.

You'll need:
    GXP 68/73mm NX Crankset
    NX Rear Shifter
    NX 11sp cassette
    NX 11sp rear derailleur

For brakes, I'd go Avid FR5 levers, and SD3, 5, or 7 V brakes. Get some good cables for the shifter and the brakes.

You'll need a 25.4mm bar. You can find risers or flat bars.

Beyond these it's pretty straight forward. Find a set of 26in rim brake wheels, make sure it has a normal freehub and not a freewheel if you get something vintage. Get whatever tires and tubes, seat, pedals, grips, etc.

Here's a quick list. I pre-filled what you were already asking about. I'd throw this in excel so you can keep track.

Frame Bontrager Privateer S
    Fork Indy XC
    Headset
    Front Wheel
    Rear Wheel
    Tubes
    Front Tire
    Rear Tire
    Stem Quill
    Handlebar 25.4mm flat bars
    Seatpost Bontrager
    Seat
    Brake Leavers FR5
    Shifters Sram NX 1x11
    Grips
    Front Brake Avid SD3, 5, or 7
    Rear Brake Avid SD3, 5, or 7
    Crankset Sram NX GXP 68/73mm
    Bottom Bracket Sram GXP
    Cassette Sram NX
    Chain KMC 11 sp
    Rear Derailleur Sram NX
    Front Derailleur
    Cables Avid Jagwire
    Pedals
    Skewers
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    OK, so here's the biggest concerns with these.

The headtube is 1in, so you're very limited if you want to replace the fork with another suspension fork. You should still be able to get elastomers for this fork if it's blown out. They weren't great forks, but as far as usability, they do work.

If you do decide you want a new fork, you'll likely need to get a new 1in threadless headset, the new fork, and a new stem.

If you want to go with the NX 1x11, this is roughly the direction I would go with this. If you have your own preferences, you can obviously change out components as needed. You could probably get the cost down a lot to get on ebay and get era LX and XT level components. They're easy to find and are usually cheap.

You'll need:
    GXP 68/73mm NX Crankset
    NX Rear Shifter
    NX 11sp cassette
    NX 11sp rear derailleur

For brakes, I'd go Avid FR5 levers, and SD3, 5, or 7 V brakes. Get some good cables for the shifter and the brakes.

You'll need a 25.4mm bar. You can find risers or flat bars.

Beyond these it's pretty straight forward. Find a set of 26in rim brake wheels, make sure it has a normal freehub and not a freewheel if you get something vintage. Get whatever tires and tubes, seat, pedals, grips, etc.

Here's a quick list. I pre-filled what you were already asking about. I'd throw this in excel so you can keep track.

Frame Bontrager Privateer S
    Fork Indy XC
    Headset
    Front Wheel
    Rear Wheel
    Tubes
    Front Tire
    Rear Tire
    Stem Quill
    Handlebar 25.4mm flat bars
    Seatpost Bontrager
    Seat
    Brake Leavers FR5
    Shifters Sram NX 1x11
    Grips
    Front Brake Avid SD3, 5, or 7
    Rear Brake Avid SD3, 5, or 7
    Crankset Sram NX GXP 68/73mm
    Bottom Bracket Sram GXP
    Cassette Sram NX
    Chain KMC 11 sp
    Rear Derailleur Sram NX
    Front Derailleur
    Cables Avid Jagwire
    Pedals
    Skewers
    Thatīs excellent advice.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Jestep,
    There are many good deals on Shimano Zee M640 cranksets with 68/73 bb on ebay. Trust this will work also vs. Sram NX?

hello pot? this is kettle
    On my Bontragers I switched from Single Digit 7 to Tektro m730. Dirt cheap- like $20 each. As good or even slightly better feel and modulation than SD7. And somewhere around 50 grams lighter than SD7.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    That is a pretty good suggestion.. And yes, they are 20 bucks!