mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Black 1986 Stumpjumper Team

Hey, I just got an 86 that I thought was the sport model. Now I'm not so sure. I know there have been many threads on the subject of stumpy models, and I'm a little confused by the way the stumpies component groups seem to flex from year to year.

Given all that, I'm pretty sure that I have a metallic black 86 stumpy team. It has Pink specialized downtube logos and prestige tubing stickers.

I have a couple of the 85 pink team bikes (they each have some different components), and this 86 matches one of them identicaly. I can't find an 86 catalog online and the mombat site only lists pink as the frame color on the 86 team.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by El Sapo Rojo; 01-14-2014 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Very curious indeed. Any chance of tossing some pics up here? From what I have gathered, Prestige tubing only showed up on the team models. Does it have the unicrown fork? Deore XT? Maybe its some weird crossover.

I love those pink Teams! I have a 87 Team by Tesch.

Here's a link for someone else here that has a 1986.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    Very curious indeed. Any chance of tossing some pics up here? From what I have gathered, Prestige tubing only showed up on the team models. Does it have the unicrown fork? Deore XT? Maybe its some weird crossover.

I love those pink Teams! I have a 87 Team by Tesch.

Here's a link for someone else here that has a 1986.
    I'll put up some pics this afternoon. It's component group looks straight out of the mombat site 86 team model, except it's metallic black. The one telling feature to me, looking at the different models is that this frame doesn't have the braze ons and the extra bottle mounts like the sport and the stumpy have.

This one will take larger tires. the 85 team tire space is limited to 1.75

I know you can get those stickers, and I dont pay too much attention to them, but the frame itself seems like a team.

Maybe?

mtbr member
    Maybe a Sporty Team? Probably the same as a Team but not marketed that way. I dunno; I'm just pulling stuff out of thin air as mid 80's Specialized stuff is goofy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images            

mtbr member
    Beauty!!! She looks new. So, I'm at a loss. The Tommaselli levers throw it over into the Team side of things (according to MOMBAT) but there are no Sport or Team decals to differentiate. I believe the geometry was different between the two models. Maybe match up one of your pinks to this one? I hope someone comes along that knows more.

VRC Illuminati
    Clean cool bike, put knobbies on it!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Clean cool bike, put knobbies on it!
    Thats another issue. I've been unable to find tires that ride well and look appropriate (gumwall knobbies). I ride paved surfaces so I end up with slicks.

Any reccomendations?

I wish the new Bruce Gordon tire came in 26" Rock 'n Road 700c All Terrain Tire| Bruce Gordon Cycles

mtbr member
    I like Maxxis Holyrollers in 2.2's if you can get them to fit... Obviously not gumwall or vintage, but certainly retro! Great all around tire for a bike that doesn't see serious off road use.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well, I have no doubt that this is a Stumpy Team. The missing connection points for racks, the way the seat tube connects to the seat stays. It's light(er). Different from the stumpy or the stumpy sport, but the same as the 85 Team.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sapo Rojo View Post
    Well, I have no doubt that this is a Stumpy Team. The missing connection points for racks, the way the seat tube connects to the seat stays. It's light(er). Different from the stumpy or the stumpy sport, but the same as the 85 Team.
    Probably a repainted Team. Is the rear tire clearance tight for a 2.0 tire? I heard the pink bikes will only fit a 1.75.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Probably a repainted Team. Is the rear tire clearance tight for a 2.0 tire? I heard the pink bikes will only fit a 1.75.
    That's correct, the 85's take a smaller tire. I have one with the original tires and I think they are 1.5. This one will take a larger tires. There's a magazine article that refers to the 86 getting better tire clearance.

Possible it could be a repaint, hell of a job if it is, but whats up with the pink decals? I got a red 85 stumpy from this same guy and it's in just as good condition. Doesn't seem like someone would go to all that trouble.....well then again I've been thinking about repainting this one.

But, there's a bike shop sticker on it. Who puts that over a custom paint job?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black 1986 Stumpjumper Team?-pink-team.jpg