The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC

Bigfoot Sighting

I hear there's a Bigfoot in my area...I've been trying to get a first hand look for a while now...hopefully I'll have some pics when I get home...stay tuned.

Steve

Someone call the National Enquirer...proof that Bigfoot exists:

S&S Bigfoot Cruiser

and he's wearing some old school sneakers:

Steve
    Last edited by eastcoaststeve; 10-08-2013 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    That's a big bike. Interesting gusset.

mtbr member
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    One of the six!
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Mig,

It looks bigger than it is.

Seat tube center to center is 20" which is doable for me. Top tube is about 22".

I'm like a crow with shiny stuff...just can't resist.

Steve

So I've had this one home for less than a day, and already have plans for changing it up a bit...

I got these with the deal:

and like the idea of making it a 5-speed.

Rear spacing is 120 so the easiest path would be to just replace the freewheel with the cluster, but I'm leaning towards swapping the wheelset to an older Bullseye set that is spaced 135.
    Is there an easy (ie. cheap) way to change the spacing of my Bullseye rear to 120?

Also plan on swapping bar/stem combo to something more MTB...would like a set of nice cruiser bars and a Mongoose or Cooks or Redline stem if money wasn't an object...we'll see what pops up.

What would you guys/girl do?

Steve

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Bullseye hub would be very simple to narrow, you might just need or remove the axle spacer washers (if present) and/or squarly cut/shorten the axle spacer sleeves to get the over locknut width measurment to 120mm, then cut off any extra axel that is protruding from theoutside of the frame dropouts.

If you are keeping the frame at 120mm, I think I would instead build up an old sturmy-archer 3-speed IGH for gears rather than adding derailleurs. 120mm SA IGH can be found used very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Bullseye hub would be very simple to narrow, you might just need or remove the axle spacer washers (if present) and/or squarly cut/shorten the axle spacer sleeves to get the over locknut width measurment to 120mm, then cut off any extra axel that is protruding from theoutside of the frame dropouts.

If you are keeping the frame at 120mm, I think I would instead build up an old sturmy-archer 3-speed IGH for gears rather than adding derailleurs. 120mm SA IGH can be found used very cheap.

SA hub would be an interesting build, and I have a nice old one from a 1950's Triumph...hmmmmmm.

Picked this up on the cheaps today...like Mendon's thread, "sometimes things just work out"...pick up couldn't have been timed better:

Gold Ukais are spaced 120, so it's a slam dunk, and bars will be perfect once I clean them up.

Looking forward to my next day off to do some tinkering.

Steve

mtbr member
    Wow, very, very nice!
    Brian
    http://www.VintageCrank.com
    WANTED
    Early 80's 22"+
    Ritchey
    Diamondback Ridge Runner
    Trek 850
    MountainBikes Montari(e)

Making a bit of progress, and I'm really liking how it's coming together.

Wish there were more/better pics of these in 5-speed build...

T, the pic you posted looks like it's got a downtube shifter??? and not sure what the cable is that crosses the rear wheel.

Looking forward to plunking around the trails on this one...I miss the Schwinn Klunker 5, and wish I hadn't sold it, but the S&S should fill the gap nicely.

Steve

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post

T, the pic you posted looks like it's got a downtube shifter??? and not sure what the cable is that crosses the rear wheel.
    It looks like the cable to the rear in that pic is for a drum brake. It has no chainstay brakes like yours.
    Also looks like the DT shifter is for a f derailleur. Look at where the chain is...either it has a huge chainguard or multiple chainrings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    Mig,

It looks bigger than it is.

Seat tube center to center is 20" which is doable for me. Top tube is about 22".

I'm like a crow with shiny stuff...just can't resist.

Steve
    It's that 13" BB height that puts the standover up there an extra inch or more. Cool bike.

mtbr member
    Steve, that pic is out of one of the BMX mags from around 1980. I just snagged it from the intranets a long time ago. BMX action I think. Article about 26" cruisers obviously.

mtbr member
    And I must say, looking at them all, the Champion looks the coolest.

Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    And I must say, looking at them all, the Champion looks the coolest.
    They do look great finished...you know anybody who has one fully built?

Steve

mtbr member
    Oh it's rideable,

Just not finished.

And yes I replaced that seatpost that lasted exactly one ride.

Shane, good eye...that makes a lot of sense. Drum brakes would be cool, but I got lucky and found a salvagable MX-900 for the front, so I'll stick with calipers for now.
    Was thinking of going with a 10-speed set up...would like to see a shot of that bike from the other side...might have to start scouring the old BMX mags.

I found a couple of pics of my bike from years ago...at one point it was incredibly ugly...I'll save and post when I get a chance.

T, yeah, your Champion really is a sweet ride...what do you need to finish it off?
    I still get pissed when I think about the sky blue one that I was on the way to pick up years ago...seller called me while I was half way there to say he changed his mind.
    (Some j/o called him, and when he said he had someone on the way, the guy said it's worth a lot more than your asking for it...ugh. Last I heard he still had it and still wanted a mint for it)

Steve

mtbr member
    Decals, skid plate, touch up paint.

Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    Decals, skid plate, touch up paint.
    Decals might be found through the vintage flat track motorcycle guys...trying to remember the guys name from a hundred years ago when I was into that silliness.

Do you have a pic of the skidplate? I know that kind of stuff is tough and pricey...I traded a '90 Haro Bashguard Master frame towards the S&S, and having the original bash was a big plus (they go for 200+, crazy)

Glad to hear you're keeping the og paint.

Steve

mtbr member
    I have a set of decals, just need to have them redone locally. Repops that were too light when acquired by previous owner. Skid plate will look like this:

Decals:

So I heard from the guy who brought this one to the east coast from Cali...
    he bought it used in 1983 to use for his ride around Huntington Beach (he added the pink bar tape back then).
    It came with him to NJ in 1991, and sat unused until he sold it to a guy who cleaned it up, and sold it to the guy who sold it to me.

This is what it looked like before clean up:

I'm almost done my version of it...just waiting for a couple of small parts, and need to polish the front brake...hoping to finish it this week, and ride it on Monday,

Steve

Done.

Now I just need some time to ride it.

I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, and with the bar swap and a seat adjustment, it actually fits me pretty well.

Dirty shots soon...I hope.

Steve

mtbr member
    WoW