onewheeler
    Aug 2008

Bicycle Blue Book

Hey guys, Do we have a Pricing guide similar to Kelly blue book or NADA like Cars/trucks do? It would be helpful!
    NK

VRC Illuminati
    No such thing exists. Pretty difficult to do with bikes I think.

There's just experience and generalizations to base our estimates on.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

onewheeler
    Aug 2008
    Could it be useful? for instance i'm going tonight to look at a 94? Rockhopper for my wife. Asking price is 175-way to much in opinion. so if there was something to reference it would be nice.
    NK

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpdnick
    Could it be useful? for instance i'm going tonight to look at a 94? Rockhopper for my wife. Asking price is 175-way to much in opinion. so if there was something to reference it would be nice.
    NK
    check the completed ebay auctions and adjust the price for condition and specs. also search craigslist via google for similar bikes.

Carsten

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ask here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...9681&highlight=

however it's based on UK prices.
    [SIZE=1]Fuquay, Saracen Kili Flyer, DBR Axis, Dave Yates Diabolo, RSP 450, Mystery Ti, Proflex 855, Orange X1[/SIZE]

VRC Illuminati
    Too many makes and models not to mention modified (and degrees of modifications, good or bad modifications) vs. stock, condition, age, rarity, etc. This is a pretty subjective subject.

Plus...for something like a 94 Rockhopper. So many were made and they're not in the least bit collectible, so is it really worth the effort to track something like this?

Your assessment of $175 being too much is accurate I'd say. Beyond that, what Carsten said is how we tend to gauge going rate.
    -eric-

velocipede technician
    2 powerbar wrappers and a stretched out chain
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

bicyclebluebook.com

Check out the website bicyclebluebook.com

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by maboudre View Post
    Bluebook FAIL

VRC Illuminati
    Not to mention its missing a significant amount of VRC make and models.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpdnick View Post
    for instance i'm going tonight to look at a 94? Rockhopper for my wife. Asking price is 175-way to much in opinion.
    If you think it's way too much, why even go look at it?

A clean, not-abused '94 Rockhopper could be reasonable at $175. It depends on where you are.
    In a college town, almost any bike that stops and goes is worth $100. A quality bike like a Rockhopper with a cromo frame and decent parts is easily worth $125-$150 if it's in good condition. $175 isn't 'way too much' in my opinion.

And yeah, a bicycle blue book would be challenging to produce to say the least. I figure that you can usually take the original msrp, chop it half, and then adjust from there based on age, condition, and components. The older it is, the cheaper, usually. This is for regular bikes, not collector.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Bluebook FAIL
    Seems like that one is more aimed at providing insurance valuations for later model higher end bikes. No so much for vintage stuff.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by maboudre View Post
    Clearly a lot of work went into that site. Looks like they eventually plan on charging a fee for using it, I just don't see that happening. Hopefully they have an ads-based backup plan.

Apparently I overpaid by $32 for the tandem I bought last month (I paid $500, they list at $468). They hit that one pretty close.

I think they're low on the 90s era mountain bikes I looked at (not collector stuff, just riders). Location is a big factor though. It's really hard to find good quality older mountain bikes in the Midwest, so they go for much higher prices than out west. At least that's been my experience.

My old touring bike is holding it's value nicely though. But I'd never sell it.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Bluebook FAIL
    Fat Chance section is all wrong too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Bicycle Blue Book

They got the pricing right on my old Colnago Master lite, It looks like they have a pretty good listing of bikes and models.

VRC Illuminati
    I think my statements from 2008 still hold true.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't think $175 is that bad for a '94 Stumpjumper if it has decent wheels. If there is any aftermarket bling on the bike it might actually be a good deal.

There are a ton of quality old bikes out there for $200 or just a bit less. A Stumpjumper sure isn't rare but it's a damn fine frame. Offer $100 or $125 and maybe you can bargain them down a bit (to $150 would be my goal).

I paid $200 for an old Barracuda A2T only to realize when I got it home there was a crack in the head tube. Still, the parts on the bike were decent and I'm sure I could get my $200 back eBaying the parts. The amber wall Conti Avenue Semislicks with the nubs still on them is worth $50 to me. The TA water bottle cage which I think is butt ugly also gets a decent price on eBay.

If it was the cool green/gray '94 Stumpy FS and the paint was decent I'd be interested in it.

:edit: Ugh. 4 year old post. Oh well - still relevant for noobs buying old bikes
    Last edited by Groundoggy; 01-31-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Saw OP date

DaFaJa
    BBB is a joke, If you try and buy anything for the prices they list..Also the market is different every where..and this page ode snot ask for locaion..Just like KBB it would need more info to price it for the locaion/market..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA