Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bianchi Super Grizzly has a stuck seat post

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  eshew 
#1 ·
Just purchased an 86 frame/fork with a really, REALLY stuck seat post and stem. I tried everything to try and release them. A few very large persuaders were used like long tubes (for the stem) and a hammer.

Are there any methods for removing these parts without damaging the frame or the parts themselves? Penetrating fluids and such? Frustrating as hell! :madman: Thanks.

#4 ·
Take the seat off, put the whole bike upside down in a bench vice clamping on to the seat post and that block at the top where seat attaches, use the bike itself as a lever and work it back and forth until it's free. Then coat the seat post in never-seize so it doesn't happen again. Had this happen on my MB-3.

#5 ·
I've heard as a last resort caustic soda can be used on the seatpost. It eats away the aluminum leaving only the steel behind. Remove the BB prior to using it.

Or prior to that if you can heat up the seized area enough to melt wax (without burning the paint if you can) you can let the wax melt down into the gaps leading to the stuck portion. I've had it work like a dream on seized bolts and it works like a charm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.