mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Bianchi Super Grizzly - Build 1 - Bash Away :)

Be prepared, several of you will likely hate the way I built this but one of the beauties of things is interpretation. I took a straight forward approach to this which was to utilize the same general build that I have done on lots of the bikes I have. This makes it easy to swap around parts and always have spares if something goes wrong.

This is definitely not a purist build so if you are a purist, look away now or else your retinas may burn.

Basics of the build:

Drivetrain/Wheels

XT Top Mount Thumbies
    M900 Front Derailleur
    M772 Long Cage Rear Derailleur
    M950 112.5 BB
    M951 Cranks
    HG61 9 Speed Cassette

Brakes

M960 V Brakes
    M950 V Brake Levers

Seating

Thomson Masterpiece Lay-back Post
    Ideale Saddle Model 45

Misc

Monkey Lite Riser Bar
    Z2 Marzocchi (very nice riding fork, hate that it is red)
    King 1" No Thread Headset
    Ritchey True Grips

I also then threw in the pic of forks I am assembling to test out on it and a few other frames I have around. Not shown is the Mag 21 that came on this with the original style machined crown, great seals, holds air perfectly, and then the softride stem that I will likely run with the Logic fork.

I am still looking for a couple things if someone has them at all. I am looking for a Z2 Atom Bomb, the rebuild tools for a Marzhocchi of that era, and then also a 1" non-threaded steerer for the SID.

Going to a be a really fun summer playing around with different forks and stems on it. Sorry for not having an "in the wild" photo for it, they came out really crappy from the first ride so I will have to grab some on the next outing.

M95Bianchi Super Grizzly - Build 1 - Bash Away :)-wp_20130510_002-small.jpgBianchi Super Grizzly - Build 1 - Bash Away :)-wp_20130424_006-small.jpg
    Last edited by datmony; 05-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.

VRC Illuminati
    I've seen way worse. At least your build is purposeful and high functioning. No bashing from me.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seems to me that putting newer parts on old bikes is at the core of mountain biking history, so why not. I personally have no hesitation with putting Vs on old canti bikes, but I'm not even close to being a collector. Plus V-brakes have to be considered VRC by now since newer riders will give you strange looks for still using them. And I'm sure someone has already started to stash higher-end 9-speed stuff after 10-speed came out, that kind of makes it vintage doesn't it? And using friction shifters with 9-speed has to be VRC, or maybe just a little nuts.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I will never shy from being noted as a little nuts. My goal is always simple, use what works well and feels good. It is an incredibly fun bike to ride, very agile feeling. Was truly a pleasure getting it out for the first time. I am really interested to get it out with the Superfly on it. Seems to hold pressure well and will be a good deal lighter than Z2 on there. I have to say too, I was pleasantly surprised on how well it rode with the Mag 21. There was something I never really liked about the look of the Mag but it definitely rode nicely.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Interesting that you hate the red fork, as I really like it. Gives it a bit more (lot more) pop. My ride is all grey with a white fork, and I'm really leaning towards doing something to make it more colorful.

I'm a sucker for celeste bikes, though - so sweet ride. My only caveat is the super saddle off-road, but i've never tried one, so more power to your hiney.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks GMF. I have a weakness for Celeste too. I have been wanting this same frame and the later Martini racing steel frames since the mid nineties. I think they are just gorgeous bikes.

I definitely suggest picking up a used leather saddle at some point and just giving them a try. Find one cheap on ebay and you are pretty much guaranteed to get your money back out of it if you hate it. I truthfully can never go back after riding them for the first time. They look like they would be like sitting on a board but a well treated and properly broke in leather saddle will have significant give.

When I first tried saddles like that it was totally practical in nature. I used to ride the flites but at the time I was going through a saddle every few months from either bent rails or rips. I like a long reach (hence the layback post), so I always had the rails kicked all the way back. I was able to ride a lot but was a poor college student and I got an Ideale 89 (which I still have and is in perfect condition) for 20 bucks in a bin at a bike shop in Chicago because no one wanted it, it was 95 or 96. I just figured it would at least last and I would suffer with a sore backside. Ended up being the most comfy saddle I ever rode.

A lot of people will go and spend a ton of cash on a new Brooks and then take it for a ride without treating it or knowing it has a break in period and then they just hate it. Once the leather is supple and broken in to your body, they are amazing. Kind of like a good pair of hiking boots.........

What's your grey bike?

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Thanks GMF. I have a weakness for Celeste too. .........

What's your grey bike?
    I have a Bianchi Reparto Corse 'cross bike that is currently serving duty as a fixie commuter, but it fills my celese fix. My "Grey bike" is my WTB Phoenix...

Bianchi Super Grizzly - Build 1 - Bash Away :)-phoenix1.jpg

very grey now and needs some color like you've got. Still rides great, though. And duly noted on the leather seat love. I'm still super happy with the WTB SST Ti rail saddle that's been kicking for 20 years (although did have it recovered after wearing through the leather), but if that supply dries up, i'll give your 1980 seats a try ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That WTB is beautiful...... One of those is heavily on my sought after list. In my opinion that WTB was just the meanest looking bike of the era. So aggressive looking........ I always keep my eye out for them.