mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bianchi Mega Ti new parts!

Been hellbent on upgrading the Bianchi to something that I can ride a few times a week. I've given up on trying to match vintage and color. The last thing I want is a full celeste bike.

This is what I've come up with so far... And it rides suburb, it's one fast machine

First part to be swapped out was the black rigid fork, decided to go with a 96-97 Marzocchi Z2. I'm a huge Marzocchi fan, have had a ton of them over the years and figured this was a great bike to get a feel for the first Z series fork I'm so fond of. I dedided on this fork for 2 reasons. 1. I hoped the red would match some of the red stripey decals on the frame, which is does...sort of. 2. It has a bolt on steerer that I hoped would be easily replaceable with a threadless version. It turns out (thanks to the collective brilliance that is MTBR) that RST steerers will fit and are cheap to boot...$20 & it was ready to bolt on. I do need to raise the oil level a bit to add a bit of progression to the massive 63mm of travel but that will have to wait unitl I'm in the new house.

Secondly I had a mad desire to show off some raw titanium on the otherwise celeste painted titanium frame. Found what I think is a White Brothers 26" Ti riser bar. Finish is identical, and the weight is about right for the WB bars...heavy. 320g by my scale, but it's unique, relatively stiff and in my possession.

Third was a stem, decided to go Moots for no other reason than the price was right. When I saw it in person I was blown away at the size of the stem tubing...The stem is HUGE, dwarfs every tube on the bike aside from the shaped and welded foil down tube. I've been thinking that I need to peel the decals off for a cleaner look but I havent decided.

Lastly I replaced the RaceFace XY seatpost with a longer laidback Thomson. I would have rather kept the XY but it wasn't long enough and they are hard to come by in 26.8mm. The thomson does feel considerably stiffer probably due to the extra length inside the frame.

Overall I love the bike, its stupid fast when you stand up and hammer it, yet still comfortable for 20-30 mile rides. The wheelset is a set of XTR 960 hubs with 717/517's and they perform beautifully. The front brake cable is dangerously short and something I will sort out next. It's a unique looking bike for sure but I am in love /
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bianchi Mega Ti new parts!-20130319_145614.jpg  

Bianchi Mega Ti new parts!-20130319_145635.jpg  

Bianchi Mega Ti new parts!-20130319_145654.jpg  

Bianchi Mega Ti new parts!-20130319_145720.jpg  

Last edited by eshew; 03-19-2013 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I recieved it it looked like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bianchi Mega Ti new parts!-1.jpg