Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Boy it's time you opened Webster's. Psyclones were not "production" mountain bikes
    No, but they were nice rides.

Old but fat.
    I'd second Rocky Mountain... Looking at their old catalogues you'll see they have a hard time not putting XT on their bikes, kinda like Apple's statement about "we don't know how to manufacture a computer under $1000 that isn't crap"... ;^)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt H.
    ...and of course, I have a soft spot for Trek 900 series bikes, especially the lugged ones like this '89 950. Again, too small or it would have been a keeper...
    If you like the old Trek MTBs, check this one out -- a real nice refurb/rebuild (not mine unfortunately)!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8312854...7612486898484/

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    This would be a great bike mag test. 'Blind Taste Test" of various frames, same groupo, all painted the same. I think the results would be surprising.

Some of the brands mentioned here make my head hurt.
    I'll cast my vote...based on great stock geo (for decades), nice looking, smart frame spec, easily available as frame only (for dirty cheap), option of purchasing a damn decent rigid fork, boutiquey (might be a negative), killer warranty, didn't break easily, Steel, Ti, Al, thorough size runs,still in business.....

KONA

You could buy one of their 350$ frames, hang at XTR group on it, and be set for anything.

-Schmitty-
    I agree, even now their bikes are hard to beat at a given price point. Now if they would just stop making them so damn ugly.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    For me, it's got to be late 80's early 90's Specialized Stumpjumpers. The Direct Drive forks were nice. The frames were nice. Good riding bikes - especially the matte gray Stumpjumper (Pro, Team, Comp?).

yes. other than their low bottom brackets i can't see anything wrong w/ steel made in japan stumpjumpers.

i just threaded the steerer on my DB stumpie fork. may have ruined it.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

No known cure
    My vote is any production Sandvik Ti frame
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    1992 S-Works (steel)
    1992 Explosif Pro

Rider and Wrench
    Year wise I know this is stretching the envelope but a 1995 Trek 930 Singletrack was made of OX True Temper Cromo... not too many of the big guys even offer "good" quality steel stuff anymore- it is only in 40lb W#&M@%t crap. The original spec was STX RC stuff but it was the entry model into the best Steel stuff Trek had to offer for a bargin price-
    I know it is not anything special but it is a great durable frame with a cool flat green and purle fade and the ride is way better than most of the Alum stuff offered by all the big guys today- don't hate me because I like this old thing- Vintage...maybe not but old.

Here are a few pics of my 95' Trek 930 - I have all of the original STX-RC stuff but have converted it to 9spd XTR (~952ish) still need to add a front der....that matches. I know it is not a super vintage nor all from the exact period but It's what I've got and it really get ridden. And yes it is a Surly fork- I wanted to keep it rigid but wanted a threadless fork- this fit the bill...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by knottshore; 07-19-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Adding a picture
    I Just wish I could ride more!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    Year wise I know this is stretching the envelope but a 1995 Trek 930 Singletrack was made of OX True Temper Cromo... not too many of the big guys even offer "good" quality steel stuff anymore- it is only in 40lb W#&M@%t crap.
    except for Surly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Surly qualifies as 40lb crap.

The later model year Explosifs were much better as you could actually fit a knobby tire in the back.

-Schmitty-

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Surly qualifies as 40lb crap.

The later model year Explosifs were much better as you could actually fit a knobby tire in the back.

-Schmitty-

both made in taiwan. difference is .5 lb and paint.
    both have a great ride. surly does not pretend to be high end and this alone makes it cooler.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Lots of folks here are saying that the early '90s Stumpies are the bee's knees but what about the late '80's? Specifically, the 1989? I just can't seem to get rid of my 1989 Stumpjumper Comp due to sentimental reasons and I'm now considering either restoring it or doing a neo-retro project on it (mixing old frameset with new components).

I'm still considering my options concerning an older Raleigh Technium bike that I built from the frame-up then sold to a friend many, many years ago. If I buy this one back it's probably going to become a UAB for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

1989 good year

I have a 89 team stumpy, still one of my favorite bikes to ride.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBERTIME
    92 Zaskar
    93 Stumpjumper FS (grey with orange/yellow lettering and Future Shock)
    That's the exact bike I am looking to build up this weekend...

I was considering brazing a rear cable stop on it and removing the canti-brake noodle so that I can run a V-brake on the back without a bolt-on brake stop.

I know it's not a rare bike, but after searching here in VRC, I can see it's probably too nice of a bike to "cut up and braze stuff on to it."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy
    I didn't ride it much from about 1999 to 2005 after I had a BK amputation after a car accident. But my kids inspired me to get back on and get in shape so I can keep up with them.

I really want to make a Stumpjumper joke, but that would just be in poor taste

GG on getting back into riding after that.

mtbr member

One of the few Mongooses I actually like...

Yeah, they're Tiawanese mass produced and in recent years the quality has not been there to say the least, but I like some of the features of this '92 IBOC Team. Triangular top tube, looped rear trangle and fairly aggressive geometry. Welds are a bit ugly but other wise a very fun bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Indoor pics...91 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 70

This was the highest model with full Shimano XT (Series 90 had Suntour XC Pro). Tange Prestige cromo, flared short butted seat tube. Still on orig rims, hubs, tires.

Great handling bike! I prefer the low stem, XC race setup Needs a bit of cleaning.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112
    Vlad, I have a Team 925. It's been stripped down after sitting in the garage for 10 years. Just got new elastomers for the Manitou II. I started out by wanting to put it back to it's original condition, but I have a very stron urge to single speed it and modernize critical components...
    Do it and post pics! If I could get my hands on a frame cheaply, I'd probably single-speed it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will have to jump in on the Giant ATX bandwagon. I picked up one a while back. I was skimming through a row of bikes and at first didn't even give it a second glance (Giant with grip shift). I then noticed the black shimano cantilevers. Checked out the rest of the bike and it was all DX, except for Dia Compe SS7 levers, with Araya RM-17s, & super turbo saddle. Parts bike I thought to myself & made away with it for $30. I normally strip parts bikes as soon as I get them home because I don't have the storage room. The bike is a white ATX 770 (1990 I think) and is my size so I decided to give it a try. I changed out the tires, replaced the stem & handlebars with a Tioga T-bone & Tioga 2000 DL, put on some old Deore DX thumbies & new shift cables and gave it a try. The bike fits & rides great. I have put it though some abuse & can find no complaints, its a keeper for now.
    Last edited by RX-1; 12-17-2009 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    early miyatas, konas and rocky mountains.
    never felt any love for spec'd and treks (not any specific reason that I can remember)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Appalachian Highlander
    I was a die hard GT guy from the time I started in the late 80's until they went bankrupt. Since then, I've had the great pleasure to own some great early 90's Diamondbacks, and they have all been sweet rides. If I had it to do over again, every steel bike I had would have been an Axis or an Apex.
    ALSO: Mt. Shasta is a brand that made some sweet rigs back then, but doesn't get much notice anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hmm..the best production mtb? My humble vote goes to either a Kona Hei Hei, GT Avalanche team or Merlin Mountain. I like the GT:s for their cool looks and nice geometry, the Konas for how they handle and the Merlin for the pure esthetics of the Ti frame, and, I guess, the feel of the material when riding.

Nobody going to say a Bianchi?

Major

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by Major
    Hmm..the best production mtb? My humble vote goes to either a Kona Hei Hei, GT Avalanche team or Merlin Mountain. I like the GT:s for their cool looks and nice geometry, the Konas for how they handle and the Merlin for the pure esthetics of the Ti frame, and, I guess, the feel of the material when riding.

Nobody going to say a Bianchi?

Major
    Although I've seen a few broken at the chainstay the Grizzlies were great bikes for sure. Smooth and stable.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Lots of nice bikes mentioned here. Some of my favorites were an 87 Stumpjumper, 89 Fisher Mt Tam Classic, and a 93 Bridgestone MB-1. Still have the Mt Tam and the MB-1. Both still in great shape, but don't see much action these days....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation12,000
    Not exactly mass production bike, but by a mass producer: I nominate the 1992 Panasonic MC Team.

Why?

full Tange Prestige frame silver brazed with lugs
    Japanese typical very high precission built
    full XTR m900
    neatly understated well made Nitto parts top it off
    team paint

Too bad the people in the USA never got it (by 1989 Panasonic had with drawn from the US market)

Overall Miyata made the best of the shelf bikes in the eighties, early 90s imo.
    Sans the M900...Panasonic had the same frame/bike in the US market in from 1987-1989 as their MC7500 model
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Mass Production Vintage Mountain Bikes-pict0217.jpg  

Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast