Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thumbs Up!
    All this talk about Stumpjumpers has me thinking about a bike company who went directly against Specialized in their advertising - Yokota. My Yokota Half Dome (non Teesdale built) rides almost as well as my other non mass produced bikes (Fat, Bontrager, Ritchey,& Grove)
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnedshins
    Running a 39in wheelbase and a good set of Conti's,
    nice, but just make sure your fork isn't on backward.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I'm a bit of a bike junkie, so I should fit in pretty good here right ?

As soon as I get the camera fired up, I'll post pictures of my
    menagerie.

Skinnedshins.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I got to throw in another vote for the Trek 950. The first mountain bike I ever owned.

horn doggie
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgirlonbike
    Bridgestones!
    Yeah...duh!! MB-1 forever.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by myroo
    I got to throw in another vote for the Trek 950. The first mountain bike I ever owned.
    I'm glad that you and Pint are feeling some love for the old 950. That blue one I posted was once complimented by Rumphy himself. He said, "Looks very clean and mostly original. If I had no other bike to ride, that would do nicely." (italics added)

I blushed like a schoolgirl.

In fact, I was so flattered, I think I'm gonna make it my new signature!
    Last edited by Matt H.; 01-21-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Beware the forty-year-old man on a twenty-year-old bike...He likely knows how to ride it.

Visitor
    Face + Palm

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro
    All this talk about Stumpjumpers has me thinking about a bike company who went directly against Specialized in their advertising - Yokota. My Yokota Half Dome (non Teesdale built) rides almost as well as my other non mass produced bikes (Fat, Bontrager, Ritchey,& Grove)
    I'll second a call on Yokota and would go so far as to say they are a really "undiscovered" brand. Built well, rode well, but sold really poorly. They also made a nice mountain tandem.

slow
    Having owned 4 MB-1's ('88,'89,'89,90), my obvious choice would be a big +1 on Bridgestone, and I would have to take exception to the previous post stating that their geometry was not aggressive as GT and Spec. Seems 16.7 chainstay and 72 head angle is fairly aggressive.

While a little heavier, I liked the late 80's and early 90's GTs.

My final vote for good mass produces bikes would go to the early 90's production Paramount PDG bikes. Series 70,90, Team, Project KOM, etc.

All this low end Trek talk keeps up, I'm going to start posting pics of mine.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    All this low end Trek talk keeps up, I'm going to start posting pics of mine.
    Is that a promise or a threat???

Don't make me post pics of the Huffy or Magna.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The winner is Bridgestone. I had two '92s, a P-23, and a Santana Moda, and the B'stones were my favorites. The ritchey didn't fit as well, but was light, and the Santana CRACKED around practically the entire circumference of the downtube, right behind the cable stops. No problems with either B'stone. Unfortunately, I just HAD to have a Bianchi BOSS, and it wasn't going to pay for itself.......

mtbr member
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Giant ATX series (760/770/780), circa 1992-3? I used to sell those alongside similarly-priced Treks and Specializeds, and I always thought that, at around the $400-450 price point (back then) they offered just a bit more bang for the buck. I also thought that they looked cool, too, though I admit I've never spent any serious time riding one. I recall that the 760 came with mostly full Shimano DX (my favorite 90s group), too. I thought back then that Giant made some of the frames for Schwinn and Specialized MTBs, is that right?

I've also always liked the simple TIG'd Stumpys and R'Hoppers from around the same time frame.

Here's a sweet 1992 Trek that someone recently refurb'd:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/83128549@N00/3191813950/

And I'll always remain wistful over my now-sold 1994 C'dale 3.0 Series MTN frame, which I built up into an M700 clone. I wouldn't buy one again, but I'll always miss it.

Cheers,
    -Jim G

John Galt
    Good call. I don't have riding time on early 90s Giants, but heard good things, like the look and liked the value proposition.

Giant made (and, I believe, still makes) a lot of frames for other brands. They started selling their own brand in the mid 1980s. My first MTB was an AT830 from 1985 or 1986. It was entry level, but I was a young teenager and enjoyed that bike a lot.

mtbr member
    I like the ones you rescue from pawnshop/trash/garage sale. Replace the tubes and ride. There are so many bikes from that era that were never ridden very hard, and still have many years of fun left in them.
    When someone says they want to get a bike, I say give me a few weeks... I can usually find something for under 200.
    I wish more people would seek out these old machines... I see them rusting away all over the place.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankM
    I like the ones you rescue from pawnshop/trash/garage sale. Replace the tubes and ride.
    Replace tubes? That's major welding or brazing work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was riding my 1992 Cannondale M1000 a couple of weekends back and on some good singletrack its hard to beat. Modern (!) DX style flatties and riser bars have really improved, especially for a guy whose back is starting to be middle aged. Always wanted to try a Beast of the East though (my M1000 was a discounted previous years model, otherwise I'd have gone BoE). The bike is stock apart from wheels and brakes and bars - original front cranks and rings, mechs and shifters. Awesome they way they keep running 1000s of miles down the line.

At the time I rated the way my friends GT Pantera handled - very chuckable, but for forward looking you've got to give Kona a lot of respect for mass marketing the slopey top tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    GT Psyclone.
    Boy it's time you opened Webster's. Psyclones were not "production" mountain bikes.
    You must have graduated from Huffy U!
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgskoop
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Giant ATX series (760/770/780), circa 1992-3? I used to sell those alongside similarly-priced Treks and Specializeds, and I always thought that, at around the $400-450 price point (back then) they offered just a bit more bang for the buck. I also thought that they looked cool, too, though I admit I've never spent any serious time riding one. I recall that the 760 came with mostly full Shimano DX (my favorite 90s group), too. I thought back then that Giant made some of the frames for Schwinn and Specialized MTBs, is that right?

I've also always liked the simple TIG'd Stumpys and R'Hoppers from around the same time frame.

Here's a sweet 1992 Trek that someone recently refurb'd:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/83128549@N00/3191813950/

And I'll always remain wistful over my now-sold 1994 C'dale 3.0 Series MTN frame, which I built up into an M700 clone. I wouldn't buy one again, but I'll always miss it.

Cheers,
    -Jim G
    I used to ride an early 90s ATX 760. A bit heavy, but the frame was very solid, oversized seat and down tubes, good angles too. I believe the tubing was Giants house brand double butted, heat treated 4130. Full DX. I liked that bike a lot.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have to agree w/ the early-mid 90's Giant ATX 7XX series. I rode, built and sold them from two shops. Amazing value. I had kind of forgotten about them when I bought my Litespeed. Then I picked up a 760 for my fiance (now wife). It was her first real bike. I liked it so much that I felt a little foolish that I had paid three-times the amount for my Obed.

I still keep my eyes open for a 780. I'd love to pick one up as a back-up rig.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This would be a great bike mag test. 'Blind Taste Test" of various frames, same groupo, all painted the same. I think the results would be surprising.

Some of the brands mentioned here make my head hurt.
    I'll cast my vote...based on great stock geo (for decades), nice looking, smart frame spec, easily available as frame only (for dirty cheap), option of purchasing a damn decent rigid fork, boutiquey (might be a negative), killer warranty, didn't break easily, Steel, Ti, Al, thorough size runs,still in business.....

KONA

You could buy one of their 350$ frames, hang at XTR group on it, and be set for anything.

-Schmitty-

Hack Racer
    Any Klein bike before Trek bought them.

Any Litespeed
    Any Fat Chance
    Any Merlin
    Any Kona Titanium Frame
    Any Rocky Mountain

that is all

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Parkpre. Their Team 925 model was b!tchin'. Tange Prestige, Manitou 2 or Tange Struts fork, Shimano components (LX, I think), faux titanium chrome finish, all for $1049 retail. I should know--I lusted after one for years! I was a freshman in high-school at the time, and a $1000+ bike was out of reach.

mtbr member

Team 925

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    Parkpre. Their Team 925 model was b!tchin'. Tange Prestige, Manitou 2 or Tange Struts fork, Shimano components (LX, I think), faux titanium chrome finish, all for $1049 retail. I should know--I lusted after one for years! I was a freshman in high-school at the time, and a $1000+ bike was out of reach.
    Vlad, I have a Team 925. It's been stripped down after sitting in the garage for 10 years. Just got new elastomers for the Manitou II. I started out by wanting to put it back to it's original condition, but I have a very stron urge to single speed it and modernize critical components...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pint
    I know "best" is a relative term, but I'm looking for opinions on decent quality mass production mountain bikes. Everyone can't afford a Potts, Cunningham, Ritchey, Bontrager, etc. No Diamondback will compare with the mistique, attention to detail and overall quality that went into a Yo Eddy. However, there must be a few decent mass produced bikes out there? What brands made good quality for the price in the 80's and 90's? I'm thinking Specialized, GT, Trek, Cannondale, etc. I don't want to get into a bash session that a Trek 970 is a POS, just honest opinions for those that want to restore or get into vintage without having to automatically jump on one of the "cool brands." There are no "right" answers, just opinions. Let the fun begin!
    I think that's why some of us started "Blue Collar" and "Pedestrian" bike threads. My vote goes to the Stumpjumper. Early 80's were getting expensive until the recession kicked in hard last year. Now the prices seem to have fallen some. Great thread and good luck on your search.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast