Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have four Bridgestones, so count me as another Bridgestone MB fan! I'll also second the vote for the early 90's Rockhoppers. I picked up this Rockhopper Comp for a song last year, and would still have it if it was a bit larger:

...and of course, I have a soft spot for Trek 900 series bikes, especially the lugged ones like this '89 950. Again, too small or it would have been a keeper...

mtbr member
    Best bang for the buck, in my book, was the Specialized Stumpys. They had the angles down by '90 and handled great. Bridgestones were well made and seem to be more valueable these days than any other production bike. And they have lugs
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    Finally, no one's mentioned early Jamis or Scott bikes...
    Anyone have a link to old Jamis catalogs? I've got my eye on a full rigid Dakar frame to replace my Bianchi trash bike frame, but have no idea on the measurements beyond what the seller has measured with a tape rule.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt H.
    I have four Bridgestones, so count me as another Bridgestone MB fan! I'll also second the vote for the early 90's Rockhoppers. I picked up this Rockhopper Comp for a song last year, and would still have it if it was a bit larger:
    I still miss my Rockhopper Comp - exactly like that one, it was......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Anyone have a link to old Jamis catalogs? I've got my eye on a full rigid Dakar frame to replace my Bianchi trash bike frame, but have no idea on the measurements beyond what the seller has measured with a tape rule.

oooh yeah, the Jamis Dakar was pretty darn cool! Definitely not a cookie cutter oriental-made bike.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    oooh yeah, the Jamis Dakar was pretty darn cool! Definitely not a cookie cutter oriental-made bike.
    Yeah seems like Teesdale built some of them too. This one is built of Prestige steel with lugs and I just revisited the photos and see it has roller cam studs under the chainstay. That kinda discourages me because I'm looking for a lighter and livelier frame to put parts I've got on it, not a frame to buy ever more parts for.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Yeah seems like Teesdale built some of them too. This one is built of Prestige steel with lugs and I just revisited the photos and see it has roller cam studs under the chainstay. That kinda discourages me because I'm looking for a lighter and livelier frame to put parts I've got on it, not a frame to buy ever more parts for.

Suntour roller cams are cheap. I remember them being fillet-brazed but that was in the 80s. Don't think I've seen a lugged one.

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    For me, it's got to be late 80's early 90's Specialized Stumpjumpers. The Direct Drive forks were nice. The frames were nice. Good riding bikes - especially the matte gray Stumpjumper (Pro, Team, Comp?).
    matt grey with red decals? that was the 91 stumpjumper comp in the UK at least. colours seem to differ country to country in some cases.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt H.

...and of course, I have a soft spot for Trek 900 series bikes, especially the lugged ones like this '89 950. Again, too small or it would have been a keeper...
    WOW...this was my 1st mountain bike! What memories! Same color and all. I ordered it in the fall of 1988. If I only had the same freedom today that I had then...

Nice discussion all...this is what I hoped for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    mb-1 was my first real mtb. wish i still had it. their catalog was the coolest of the day. it sold me. anybody have one from about 92'
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    matt grey with red decals? that was the 91 stumpjumper comp in the UK at least. colours seem to differ country to country in some cases.
    That was definitely available on both Stumpys and Rockhoppers in the US - both Comp, I think. I've never seen a Hardrock with that paint, however...

I picked two too many
    Pint -

I have to hand it to you. Some great threads you have been starting lately.

In my mind you are epitomizing the kind of member we appreciate around here.

Just a note of thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pint
    ...So even with my employee discount I settled for things like a Trek 990, Trek 8700, Cannondale Beast of the East, etc. They rode nice and I beat the crap out of them!
    I do have a strange affection for my M800 Beast of the East. I started with black with lime green splatter 1990 SM800 that I bought in college with some internship money and got a new frame in about '95 when the original's chainstays got tweaked. I can't bring myself to get rid of this thing.

I didn't ride it much from about 1999 to 2005 after I had a BK amputation after a car accident. But my kids inspired me to get back on and get in shape so I can keep up with them.

bonked
    Another vote for the early 90s stumpjumpers. Konas were nice too, agressive looking and a ride more to my liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Another vote for the early 90s stumpjumpers. Konas were nice too, agressive looking and a ride more to my liking.
    Too new for the crowd here but this is the girl that got me started:

Before I SS'ed her this fall she did have a threaded stem and a straight handlebar...
    Keep the Rubber Side Down!

Wanted: Judy FSX decals

I picked two too many
    I should go try and ride a Specialized to see what I think. I just have a knee-jerk reaction to them and Trek. I just throw up a little. I had a Trek 820 SHX and it was a tank, but it handled fine. I also had a Raleigh Technium that was just OK.

Bridgestone, I always liked, rode a MB-3 for a bit.

So for me it's Bridgestone.

mtbr member
    I dig the Breezers!
    Looking for 58cm Road Logic or Road Classic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange
    Pint -

I have to hand it to you. Some great threads you have been starting lately.

In my mind you are epitomizing the kind of member we appreciate around here.

Just a note of thanks.
    MrOrange - I really appreciate that! I thought a thread on more readily available bikes might spark a few lurkers to jump in. I lurked around this sight for a year or so before I began to contribute. It can be a bit intimidating when all the talk is about bikes that are out of reach for many. My opinion is, the more the merrier. As long as us newbs contribute, rather than just suck out info to go and sell something!

I picked two too many
    Quote Originally Posted by pint
    MrOrange - I really appreciate that! I thought a thread on more readily available bikes might spark a few lurkers to jump in. I lurked around this sight for a year or so before I began to contribute. It can be a bit intimidating when all the talk is about bikes that are out of reach for many. My opinion is, the more the merrier. As long as us newbs contribute, rather than just suck out info to go and sell something!
    Amen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    specialized stumpjumper and m2 fs, bridgestone, 1991 nishiki ariel (the improved design in steel)

You down with entropy?
    I will have to agree with others, but I am partial to the late 80's early 90's stumpjumpers.
    I have a 93 stumpjumper M2 (just the base model) and its still going strong.

I always did want to try out a bridgestone though...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey everyone, I couldn't resist any longer. I've been lurking for
    awhile and I'm starting to feel ashamed. he,he.

Gotta let you know about my 1984 Mt Fuji I bought, built and
    modded slightly in 1986.

Lugged, quad-butted Ishiwata, powercoated with candy red, white pearl,
    and candy blue. I accented the lug work with the red and blue. It's
    a full XT bike with a set of Campy Contax wheels I built in 1986.

Running a 39in wheelbase and a good set of Conti's, it's as stable
    and solid as you will find. With the relaxed seatube and steep
    headtube along with generous rake, the bike handles quick but
    is not a squirrel

When I decided to re-paint in 1985 with the red, white and blue
    powdercoat, little did I know that Fuji would use the same colors
    for their team bikes some 22 years later. So, it's Vintage and
    contemporary at the same time.

I have over 25,000 on her and she's still a classy Lady !

I'm looking forward in getting to know everyone, and enjoy reading
    the Forums.

Skinnedshins. ( in 63 years, you get lots of em )
    Last edited by skinnedshins; 01-21-2009 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnedshins
    Hey everyone, I couldn't resist any longer. I've been lurking for
    awhile and I'm starting to feel ashamed. he,he.
    Well welcome aboard, Skinnedshins! Your Fuji sounds interesting, make sure you post up some pics sometime...

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    92 Zaskar
    92? Fisher Supercaliber (Neon Green one with the Shark on the top tube and XC Comp)
    91 Stumpjumper (white with blue lettering)
    93 Stumpjumper FS (grey with orange/yellow lettering and Future Shock)
    92 GT Karakoram (the orange/yellow with black splatters)
    all bikes I lusted for as a goofy 14 year old.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnedshins
    I have over 25,000 on her and she's still a classy Lady !

I'm looking forward in getting to know everyone, and enjoy reading
    the Forums.

Skinnedshins. ( in 63 years, you get lots of em )
    I'm more of a Skinnedelbow type of person, but I love your story. Amazing that your bike has 25k miles on it. That's over 8 times across the U.S. Freaking awesome.

Welcome to the snakepit. :P

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast