Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CS2
    mtbr member

BBC Strikes Again Big Time

I thought $2,499 was a little on the high side. Then I looked again $24,999 WOW, that's all I can say.

Vintage 1991 Gary Fisher Procaliber Mountain Bike 20" Bicycle Suntour XC Comp | eBay
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The problem I see is they're completely upsetting the market. I dont know how many ads I've seen that reference BBC as a benchmark for price. They have to see that. I emailed them with a "lowball" offer asking why they set the pricing so high and if they were serious about selling. I rcvd a generic " I talked to the boss and the price is firm" response
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    The problem I see is they're completely upsetting the market. I dont know how many ads I've seen that reference BBC as a benchmark for price. They have to see that. I emailed them with a "lowball" offer asking why they set the pricing so high and if they were serious about selling. I rcvd a generic " I talked to the boss and the price is firm" response
    When I was involved in antique firearms we used to tell the crazy sellers "Sell it to the guy who wrote the book." At least when they were asking an outrageous price for junk. He can ask anything he wants. I can't believe people are stupid enough to buy.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

the new Gilbert Grape
    BBC's ads have good pictures and the bikes are often nice but are always 2x or 3x what I would consider upper end pricing (and in the posted ad, closer to 40x). Have they ever sold a bike? Paying for advertising, without selling anything seems like a poor business plan.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

sftrydr
    Oh Yeah, and they take trade ins too, as stated in the description....
    I've got a cherry condition Magna that I'm lookin to cash out for $24,900, trade in ...Firm...
    Deluxe shipping, of course.
    Lets make a deal for $99....+slot in the Deluxe shipping , I'm not cheap ya know.
    TIC

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Look at their feedback to see what sold. They sold an 88 rockhopper for $799. A 71 Varsity for $399 etc. The prices they have on parts however are reasonable and they sell alot. Seems to me they are just baiting.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Look at their feedback to see what sold. They sold an 88 rockhopper for $799. A 71 Varsity for $399 etc. The prices they have on parts however are reasonable and they sell alot. Seems to me they are just baiting.
    800 dollars for a 88 rockhopper seems x2 what I would pay.

I've boycotted them years ago.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    The prices they have on some of their parts are reasonable and they sell a lot.
    Fixed that for you

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    I'd rather buy this than all their insanely priced MTBs:
    Vintage 1930's British Path Racer bicycle bike Joe's Autocycle Supply | eBay
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I like to ask them if they'll sell me a $24,999 bike for a flat $24,000. They always respond saying that they will. I want them to think they made a sale, and then I never respond back. Clowns.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Shipping is only $1000 bucks.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by 83stumpjumper View Post
    I like to ask them if they'll sell me a $24,999 bike for a flat $24,000. They always respond saying that they will. I want them to think they made a sale, and then I never respond back. Clowns.
    What do you have against somebody trying to do business?
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Hollister, businesses don't have to be just about profit at all costs. Sometimes it is best to balance what is best for the bottom line with other considerations, like social relationships and fairness. I hope you learned something today.

Duh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, what he said!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    We should break the ball bearings of places that want to sell bikes that should be in the hundreds of dollars range, for $24,000. Who knows maybe that will get them to lower the price by $3000.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I also agree with the fact that folks that dont know prices an duse ebay for referance...they see BBC stuff and get all giddy thinking they have something that they dont.

I got stopped bidding today from another seller that states you cant buy more then 1 item in a certain timeframe?? WTF is up with that?..im not hording, im building bikes that I couldnt build when I was younger and much poorer...oh...and all my VRC's will be ridden....cept at least one...but only casue the tires are nos....I'll change the wheels and ride it someday prob... just cause.

Retro on Steroids
    They are asking the same price that my friend got for one of the ten original 1978 "Breezer" bikes, probably the most "collectible" bike of the last 50 years.

I don't know why anyone is freaking out over this. Whenever anyone asks me what a bike is worth, I tell them that it's worth whatever you got for it.

If they get 25K for this one though, I want the address of the buyer.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    I wonder if they are inflating the value of their on hand stock with an eye to selling the business.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    I wonder if they are inflating the value of their on hand stock with an eye to selling the business.
    exactly.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    Anyone interested in buying the business is going to realize that the prices are a bit inflated.

There's nothing wrong with them asking these prices, other than the eBay fees for listing items that will never sell has to be expensive.

Others that base their price on non-selling items on eBay, aren't doing themselves any favors either.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    it's been said and has some merit (not sure how much though) that there are certain Asian countries that have folks that are willing at times to spend allot of dough on a VRC bike/parts......if you wait long enough and just sell one, all those fees are worth it.....it's like any other "long term" investment i guess.

it still sucks though!

I also have boycotted them because of this practice....and i'm not jealous untill they sell...then???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    it's been said and has some merit (not sure how much though) that there are certain European countries that have folks that are willing at times to spend allot of dough on a VRC bike/parts.....

Fixed it for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    ha...thanks....and then there's those on bmxmuseum that think im one of them...argghhh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Anyone interested in buying the business is going to realize that the prices are a bit inflated.
    Itemized, sure. But if there's just a line item for "Stock" then perhaps not.

"Sporting goods retail business for sale with over $100K of e-commerce stock", etc.

Or, could be ramping up to a mighty insurance scam by establishing the high mark to up the average replacement value. That's a stretching feasibility a bit though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast