mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bar ends? Anyone?

Put a set of Specialized bar ends on the Rockhopper yesterday and took it out to the trails. Felt like '95 all over again and I was used to them with in the first 25 yards. Anyone else using them?

Sneaker man
    Yup, still run my Onza Ti's on 1 bike

Edit: didn't realise I was still in the VRC forum, of course, plenty of people here will be running bar ends.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Hell yeah!! I have Bontrager L- shaped bar ends on most of my Bontragers, and I do appreciate them when going uphill. This is my Racelite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

the new Gilbert Grape
    Yep, I still use them and like them on vintage bikes. On new bikes where the bars are much wider the hand position does not work well with bar ends, but on a 580mm wide handlebar, bar ends are still great!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

VRC Illuminati
    I used them growing up. Certainly not on modern bikes.

None of my vintage bikes have them now. Though I do have a set of ControlTech ControlStix (Team Issue) which are my favorite fit and feel and a set of 1st gen OnZa full Ti that are the most iconic of bar ends IMO.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I used them growing up. Certainly not on modern bikes.

None of my vintage bikes have them now. Though I do have a set of ControlTech ControlStix (Team Issue) which are my favorite fit and feel and a set of 1st gen OnZa full Ti that are the most iconic of bar ends IMO.
    I had a set of the Control Stix, would you be interested in parting with them?

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I used them years ago. Never felt comfortable on them and never felt like they allowed me to climb better. I tried long ones and felt like I was going to have them slip. I tried short ones and didn't feel like there was a benefit. Haven't used them for years. Relegated the damn things to 1996 where they belong and...

...then...

...I set up my 29er with Salsa Woodchippers and started climbing on the hoods and found that to give my climbing a boost. Then I realised that the position was not unlike... bar ends. Hang on? Could I be seeing something now that I couldn't before?

Could I be converted to bar ends again?

Nah. They look naff.

Grumps

Sneaker man
    they look naff on new bikes... but on oldies they look perfect.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL65 View Post
    Anyone else using them?
    Until a few years ago, our tandem sported a set of faded purple Onza L-bends in the captain's position.

Name:  tandem1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  380.3 KB

Then, when our daughter got big enough to ride with us, they were moved to her Trail-a-bike.

Bar ends? Anyone?-tandem2.jpg

Now they're in my toolbox gathering dust.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

gobsmacked Moderator
    Love your photos!

No known cure
    Bar ends? Nope. Never even tried them. They seemed to make narrow bars more narrow.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have some Titec/Bontrager L-Bend barends free to anyone just pay $5 for postage or come pickup

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have ibis rosie bar ends on the mojo. If the bars were wide I would not use them. I also cut the ends of the rosie's so it is 1 inch from the bend.
    Other bar ends I used and like are the Onza ski bends and Sycip bar ends.
    Looking for a P7, k14 or f12 1inch

Sneaker man
    Yeah on my new bike with 720 bars, I do miss them but realise I would be able to reach them, other bike with 660 risers, nope. But my xizang, felt fine with 580 bars... but once I got used to wider bars, nope, so now with cut down wide bars to 660 with bar ends, fine...

But in stock I have 1 set of old Onza stubbie pnk ones, 1 set of Onza L bends and 2 sets of Onza Ti's, all for when I need them.

mtbr member
    Hell yeah!
    Not on my old Fat Chance (as they were not ďoutĒ when it was made), but on all my other 80s-90s bikes. In use: Ingleheart Bar Flies & Bar Knats, Control Tech team issues, Answer L-bends and Ibis-the lax-stick ones.

Itís funny to read old magazines, where a bike would be criticized for NOT having them!

mtbr member
    Wish I knew where my Onza's are.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog View Post
    Itís funny to read old magazines, where a bike would be criticized for NOT having them!
    Ha yeah, or when you'd buy a bike and you'd wheel and deal with the shop to throw in a pair of bar ends and a mini pump.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Name:  FB_IMG_1498309269825.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  36.3 KB

Still got the Onza's on the RockHopper...

No good in rock gardens..
    Got some Coda's in the shed, but haven't used them for about 15 years.
    Less isn't MOAR

slow
    I started using bar-ends the week the wedge style Control-Stix were introduced in the late 80's and have been using them ever since. In my weight weenie days I went to the Scott AT-2LF aluminum and AT-2LFx thermoplastic bars to save weight but to retain the additional hand positions. I am still using bar-ends on my modern rides with 720-740mm bars. When I recently re-built one of my modern hardtails from the parts bin, I didn't install bar ends. I only lasted 2 weeks before putting some Ergon GS-2 bar end grips on it.

I like to have the additional hand positions for the ride to and from the trails, for endurance events, and for the extra torque position because my modern bikes are over-geared for the steep local terrain. When they catch up to me, my riding buddies usually give me grief about my bar ends, especially when I have them on riser bars.

Bar ends? Anyone?-0211172046a.jpg

Bar ends? Anyone?-0508170953c.jpg