Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anybody know about Yokota bikes?

I have come across a couple Yakota mountain bikes in the past year. I can't seem to find any info on them when I do a google search. I hoping somebody here might be able to share some info with me. Thanks.

President, CEO of Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    I have come across a couple Yakota mountain bikes in the past year. I can't seem to find any info on them when I do a google search. I hoping somebody here might be able to share some info with me. Thanks.
    They were a Taiwanese made budget brand that had ads boasting about how they were better component value than larger brand names. I think a shop where I used to work had them before I started there, but I don't recall actually seeing any.

Nothing special, really. I think the company went away in the early/mid nineties, but i'm not too sure.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!

They Became Dirt Research...

Eventually they went away by '95-'96. Nicer rides for the $$$$ The 93 Yosimite was one nice ride for the $$$. I believe KHS made their frames.I have an OLD Mountain Bike with an article that showed the factory, (a long with Diamond Backs (old ownership), and Iron Horses (A-frame style)).
    Last edited by WEBERTIME; 03-28-2005 at 10:08 AM.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Ahhh, the good old days...

A 1989 Yokota (note the spelling) Yosemite replaced my stolen Marin Palisades Trail when I was in college.

I specifically recall the "head-to-head" ads the company used in the pages of Mountain Bike Action magazine, comparing the Yosemite to the Specialized Stumpjumper or Rockhopper. Just so happened to have a dealer in San Jose, so I bought one with the insurance money.

One of the comments I used to hear was how cool the "smoke" finish was on the frame, essentially carbon residue left behind by a torch then clearcoated. I recall a couple manufacturers doing this with their frames, and it played out pretty quickly.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'm pretty sure dirt research was a seperate company from yokota. Yokota bikes used to spec DR parts on them in the early 90s though. I think DR was just the english brand name for some unpronouncable taiwan or chinese brand, much like HL Corp has their Zoom brand name.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

resident crackpot
    I bought my daughter a Yokota Yosemite off eBay almost two years ago. Real aggressive (for the era) geometry, most likely designed for racing. Her 17" frame sports a 22" top tube, about 1.125" longer than my wife's '93 Rockhopper Comp FS of the same size. The Yokota has Tange Infinity tubing and is a nice riding little rig...too small for me to enjoy tho'. Here's a couple of pics. Notice the acetylene torch paint job...well, what it used to be. She wanted a different color and that's what she got. Note the single speed gearing...talk about making Daddy proud!!
    I contacted them about getting a decal set quite some time ago and never got a reply. I really wouldn't mind getting one for myself...in my size of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RIDE

I had a Yokota Team back in 1992

I picked it up in Yakima Washington during a visit and it was a nice bike for the money.About $699 I think. It had XT components but generic seatpost,stem,handlebars,tires and seat to bring the price down. When I swapped those parts,the bike rode even better. I thought it did compare well with a Rockhopper. Yokota was a good brand in my opinion. If I can find another Team I'd get it.
    Here's a photo of a Yokota team I have from my files.I think it was sold on ebay.Nice looking bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death'
    http://fotki.com/vintagemtbr/

Joe R.

RIDE

Is that an Odyssey Intac seatpost on the blue Yokota?

Quote Originally Posted by loonyOne
    I bought my daughter a Yokota Yosemite off eBay almost two years ago. Real aggressive (for the era) geometry, most likely designed for racing. Her 17" frame sports a 22" top tube, about 1.125" longer than my wife's '93 Rockhopper Comp FS of the same size. The Yokota has Tange Infinity tubing and is a nice riding little rig...too small for me to enjoy tho'. Here's a couple of pics. Notice the acetylene torch paint job...well, what it used to be. She wanted a different color and that's what she got. Note the single speed gearing...talk about making Daddy proud!!
    I contacted them about getting a decal set quite some time ago and never got a reply. I really wouldn't mind getting one for myself...in my size of course.
    It's a good post. For the guy who was looking for the 26.6 post,try this one.It has a good clamping system.
    'Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death'
    http://fotki.com/vintagemtbr/

Joe R.

Thumbs Up!

that Yosemite brings back memories

That was my first "real" mountain bike. Great value for the money, i wish i still had mine.
    According to Tom Teesdale's site he built the Yokota Halfdome in 1993.
    That Team bike is very sweet! I remember seeing that pic on some other website.
    I think the former distributor Reid Rollins is still blowing out some Yokota/Dirt Reaserch stuff from the glory days.(link)

http://www.marketeastplaza.com/BicycleParts.html
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the cool info. I actually have an old Yokota Yosimite I picked up second hand, so I was just curious what the story was on this brand. It is a late 80s/early 90s model, probably 89 at the earliest since its 7 speed. It has a Shimano Mountain LX groupo. Was this the precursor to Deore LX or is this a seperate line, like Exage or something? Thanks.

resident crackpot
    Thanks for all the cool info. I actually have an old Yokota Yosimite I picked up second hand, so I was just curious what the story was on this brand. It is a late 80s/early 90s model, probably 89 at the earliest since its 7 speed. It has a Shimano Mountain LX groupo. Was this the precursor to Deore LX or is this a seperate line, like Exage or something? Thanks.
    That is the exact components that my daughter's had. The one component on the bike that was not 'original' was the wheelset...early LX hubs on the inside of Wolber rims. Like I said before, I would buy one if I could find one in my size.

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed
    It's a good post. For the guy who was looking for the 26.6 post,try this one.It has a good clamping system.
    Great eye Built4Speed. One Q though, how did you notice the small lettering while your head is moving so fast? I swear, your avatar slays me! Seriously, I bought the seatpost on eBay for a song, and yes, it does have a real good clamping system. I did not know they had a 26.6 size...as I need two of those this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What size do you need?

The bike I have is a 20" center to center. What do you ride?

That is the exact components that my daughter's had. The one component on the bike that was not 'original' was the wheelset...early LX hubs on the inside of Wolber rims. Like I said before, I would buy one if I could find one in my size.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    there's a test of that blue/white/red yosemite pro in the 1992 Bicycling mag buyer's guide. It was their best buy for front suspended mountain bike winner that year.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Witty McWitterson
    I was wanting to bid on that bike for my wife, but ended up not simply 'cause she's already got a SS and a geary, and a road. No need for another...

I've always liked the Yokota's. I thought they were good deals. Smartly specced to keep price down. IIRC, they were also one of the few companies to offer sizes greater than 20". I remember an ad from DirtRag(bless thier souls!) that offered a 24" sized bike, and this was for one of the high end models. If I have time I'll try to dig it up.

Hey bikerboy, got any pics of yours?
    Just a regular guy.

resident crackpot
    The bike I have is a 20" center to center. What do you ride?
    20" would most likely work...as long as the top tube is at least 22.5" long. Got any pics??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Let me get some pics today and measure the top tube.

mtbr member

little more info maybe?

I posted this exact question about a year ago. I have since broken the frame (crack in headtube weld). But the frame rode beautifully, and i had a lot of fun on it, it was replaced with a on-one inbred. heres a link to the post:
    Yokota

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

a little more info for an old thread.

I picked up a 93/94 Yakota Grizzly Peak Tandem today. Doing a little research, I came across this post in a thread on bikeforums. the thread was about a Yakota road bike, but the post may clarify a little about "Yakota Cycle USA".

This quote is from a "Jharrington" (I believe it's John Harrington, but I'm not 100%)
    "Mystery Yokota
    I just stumbled on this post, ( 4 years later). I am the founder of Yokota Cycle USA and the designer of the bicycles. While primarily Yokota's focus was Mountain Bikes I did offer road bikes in 1989. The legend was the top of the line model spec'ed and using the tubing, TANGE #2 as you mentioned. Prior to working for Yokota, I was a custom frame builder and that is where the responsive geometry originated. Wile I know Gary Yokota he was not a part of the company and I never used him to build frames. i did contract with Tom Tesdale for the Half Dome model. Strictly Wholesale was my East a coast distributor and after I left the company to join Easton Sports, Strictly became the USA exclusive distributor of the line. The Legend was a very lightweight bicycle using USA appropriate frame geometry and was a very sweet ride. However, the late eighties and early 90ís were the heyday of Mountain Bikes. Road bike took a very far back burner. So the model is very rare. "

I'll add that there does seem to be a very close relationship between Yakota and Dirt Research.In addition to some Dirt Research parts on the Yakotas, the Yakota Tandems made in 93 and 94 seem to be very similar to the Dirt Research Tandems made starting in 95. I've seen mention on tandem forums of Yakota / Dirt Research as though they were the same bikes (if not the same company).

Since I've been very happy with the Dirt Research frames I picked up a while back, I'm hoping I like this Yakota Tandem as well. It looks like a decent frame (not by some of the VRC crowd standards, but I only care how it rides) though it has a mix of mediocre and some crappy components.

Edit: Here's some more I found another Yakota thread on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr View Post
    The Yakota Frames in the pictures were distributed by Strictly Wholesale in Newark, DE. They were heavily marketed in CA and I believe they even had a race team. Strictly Wholesale then started distributing Dirt Research. Reid Rollins (owner of Yakota, Dirt Research, and Ballistic forks) has a bunch of the Dirt Research frames in his warehouse and sells them from time to time on Ebay. He will sell direct (if you drive there) and his prices are pretty good for a steel bike, but not rock bottom. $280 will get you a Columbus EL-OS frame and a matching Tange fork. I bought one last year and used it as a race bike. Unfortunately, they were built around a 63 MM fork and I had trouble finding a good 63 MM fork, so it sits in my shed now waiting to be reborn.

The top end Yakota's were built by Thomas Teesdale (TETcycles.com). All of the later Dirt Research frames are very similiar to TET's, but built in Japan. I think Tom built the Half-Dome framesets. They will have on TET in the bottom bracket shell.

The Yakota builder had nothing to do with these frames. A few years ago, he said something about the "cheap bikes" built with his name. I never had a problem with my Dirt Research and have a few friends who bought Yakota's in 1994 when Reid was blowing them out. Reid is also a great source of 1 1/4 and 1 inch stems.

Edit: added Pic of yakota tandem
    Last edited by trailville; 06-11-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: additional info
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Had me a Yosemite back in the day, it was the white one, can't remember the year. They were good riding bikes and I also remember them being compared to the Spesh models. In fact, I thought I was told they had the same geometry as the Stumpy, but I may not be rmemebering that exactly correct.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee View Post
    Had me a Yosemite back in the day, it was the white one, can't remember the year. They were good riding bikes and I also remember them being compared to the Spesh models. In fact, I thought I was told they had the same geometry as the Stumpy, but I may not be rmemebering that exactly correct.
    That was close to verbatim for their ad copy in Mountain Bike Action, where they pictured the two bikes side by side. As a thrifty college student, this ad spoke to me, and it's how I ended up riding a Yokota Yosemite in 1989.

(pic of my "smoke blue" paint scheme lifted from a Craigslist ad)
    speedub.nate
    ∑ MTBR Hiatus UFN ∑

mtbr member
    My girlfriend wes Japanese natl' champ in the early 90's racing for Yokota!
    - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles View Post
    My girlfriend wes Japanese natl' champ in the early 90's racing for Yokota!
    Very Cool Do you have any photos of her old team bike?
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro View Post
    Or just any of her?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro View Post
    I don't think so - it was orange/white fade & I think it was a "Yosemite"
    When she moved back to the US she raced on a Hei-Hei and was sponsored by Ringle & Sun - full, and I mean FULL purple ano parts!
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast