mtbr member
    Jun 2012

any Vintage Foes guru's in here?

anyone know what year this frame is? 96 by the serial number?

just picked this frame up over the holidays, and thought it was pre v-brake but now I am not sure.
    serial number on bottom bracket is 96589

it has the canti/v posts AND holes on the left side of swingarm for something, though my google fu is quite lacking as I cant find a decent pic of a disc brake early frame, so as to identify what mount goes there or ??? holes are 25mm center to center

was going to build it with M737 and a 100mm judy hydracoil or marzocchi bomber mx 03, I have both on hand, but the rear brake routing seems to be for a hydraulic hose ala magura or a disc [I don't have any disc wheels or brakes at the moment and really didn't want to buy a whole new groupo anyways] as no cable stop on the swingarm above the brake posts.

I guess v-brakes could use one piece housing all the way to the swingarm?

thanks for any help

douglas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails any Vintage Foes guru's in here?-foes-frame.jpg  

any Vintage Foes guru's in here?-disc-mount-close-up.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice looking frame!
    2016 El Oso Grande

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I have the same frame, sitting somewhere in the "future project" list behind 2 bikes and a car. I kinda started work on it then put it aside for another year.

I can't get in to see the serial number but my swingarm is different around the right side dropout. Also, I don't have any holes on the left side. Not sure if they are factory mounts or someone had a crack at a DIY disc mount.

I hear you about the brake cable routing. I have two stops on the frame, then NOTHING on the swingarm. Not even a mark where there was a cable guide. Nothing makes sense for a canti brake either.

My solution was outer between the lever and first stop, then exposed cable between the stops, then outer from the second stop to the v-brake, but using a p-clip mounted to the shock bolt on the swingarm to keep the cable in check.

Awesome frame too mate. I love those overbuilt beasts from that era, the Foes LTS and Weasel and the Mountain Cycle San Andreas, particularly.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I have the same frame, sitting somewhere in the "future project" list behind 2 bikes and a car. I kinda started work on it then put it aside for another year.

I can't get in to see the serial number but my swingarm is different around the right side dropout. Also, I don't have any holes on the left side. Not sure if they are factory mounts or someone had a crack at a DIY disc mount.

I hear you about the brake cable routing. I have two stops on the frame, then NOTHING on the swingarm. Not even a mark where there was a cable guide. Nothing makes sense for a canti brake either.

My solution was outer between the lever and first stop, then exposed cable between the stops, then outer from the second stop to the v-brake, but using a p-clip mounted to the shock bolt on the swingarm to keep the cable in check.

Awesome frame too mate. I love those overbuilt beasts from that era, the Foes LTS and Weasel and the Mountain Cycle San Andreas, particularly.

Grumps
    my left side has two sets of stops, one normal for the front derailleur, and a set that just holds the housing as in hydro or full housing to the v-brake [if that is even a thing] so im thinking magura's to make use of the brake posts, and kinda keep it Vintage.........

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I've got one set of stops, you got the deluxe model.

Holes in the rear drop are factory, this one has similar, but no v-brake posts:

Foes LTS 1993 in Team Yamaha colours - amazing.... | Retrobike

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ok, so another issue is the headset.....the frame came with cups installed but no other parts, and so I used the headset tool to pop the old cups out, and there are adapters? for a better word that came out of the head tube.
    I left them on my work bench sprayed with pb blaster for a few days but they don't want to come apart at the moment and now when I measure the "adapters" have a measurement of 1.45 on my calipers, and I brought them to work with me just to see what I might do, but now looking at them the inner cup measurement seems to be 1-1/4 + using a straight edge ruler.

I was expecting 1-1/8" at least on the cups, so anybody know what was standard on these?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Hmm. Just looked at mine. It has a headset in it that was already in it when I bought the frame, thankfully the complete headset, which is a 1 1/8".

Closer look at there is another "ring" visible between the headset cups and the headtube, like this Weasel:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7055355/

Not sure whether the sleeve is to take a 1 1/4" headset down to a more common 1 1/8", or whether it's a sleeve to convert a random headtube size to accept a 1 1/8".

If the adapter measures a diameter of 37.0mm (1.457") then that's the same as a 1 1/4" headset cup.

That headset, FSA Pig, takes larger balls at the bottom cup than the top from memory. Easiest thing to do would be to track down another FSA Pig on eBay or somewhere to pilfer the bearings and other bits, and reinstall those cups along with the adapters.

Grumps

Edit:

PS, heres the disc mount in glorious close up - https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7055358/

But yeah, either a full outer of a Magura line would work with the type of stops you have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Hmm. Just looked at mine. It has a headset in it that was already in it when I bought the frame, thankfully the complete headset, which is a 1 1/8".

Closer look at there is another "ring" visible between the headset cups and the headtube, like this Weasel:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7055355/

Not sure whether the sleeve is to take a 1 1/4" headset down to a more common 1 1/8", or whether it's a sleeve to convert a random headtube size to accept a 1 1/8".

If the adapter measures a diameter of 37.0mm (1.457") then that's the same as a 1 1/4" headset cup.

That headset, FSA Pig, takes larger balls at the bottom cup than the top from memory. Easiest thing to do would be to track down another FSA Pig on eBay or somewhere to pilfer the bearings and other bits, and reinstall those cups along with the adapters.

Grumps

Edit:

PS, heres the disc mount in glorious close up - https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7055358/

But yeah, either a full outer of a Magura line would work with the type of stops you have.
    , But yeah, either a full outer of a Magura line would work with the type of stops you have.
    do you mean a full outer to a v-brake OR a magura line cause I don't have a set of V's either but it may be cheaper to get a set of m739 V's from the bay, or did you mean just a full hydro line type will work???

like all my builds, trying to keep it like it would've been built in 96, at least I think 96 so vee's or maguras will work if I can make it so, as I said before I have never had a set of maguras so I would love to build it with a set.
    though I do have a lead on a set of maguras in gray, and there is a sweet set of Jonny T neon orange maguras minus any braces on the bay, might look good with the yellow frame, but they are a bit pricey......sigh, it never ends

when I originally found the frame, I was getting ready to put a nice set of m737 on another frame, including a perfect set of canti's and thought why not put it on the Foes, [ I thought it was a 94/95 because of the brake posts] but after getting the frame and realizing it has NO real way of using canti's, I started asking about the other options [ especially since the cable stops don't allow for anything but solid housing or hydro cable for the rear brake, though I suppose I could get creative and use one of those hangers from the seatpost clamp to stop the housing, have to clamp it in the stand and do some simple mockup to see if that would even be a possibility]

and yea, after I got home I measured again and not sure about the inch setting on my digital vernier caliper, but in mm's it does indeed measure 37mm and the inner cup measures 34mm so I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of problem solvers adapters from 37mm to 34 mm, which is as you say 1-1/4" to 1-1/8" and I had previously ordered a FSA Orbit MX cartridge bearing headset for it in 1-1/8"

thanks Niagra Cycles for the free shipping on the adapters......

and thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it....

douglas
    Last edited by stingray230sx; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:48 AM. Reason: forgot to answer completely

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Sorry, should have said "full outer OR a Magura line". You're right to do either. I've seen a pic of the cable stop you have, with the regular cable guide and the "hook" for a hydro hose. Either run a full outer to the v-brake or hydro rose for a Magura rim brake... or a disc brake should you ever track down the caliper mount.

Glad you got the headset sorted. Saves going down the line of fabricating a set of adapters.

I took another look at mine, and it has a double cable stop on the left side near the head tube, but a single one lower down for the brake. I assume the front derailleur outer stops at the stop (well, duh) and then just the inner runs down and under the BB shell through a nylon cable guide to the front derailleur. Doesn't concern me and I have started setting mine up with Profile BMX cranks and a single ring. Really should bring this project to the front of the list...

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This weekend i will take some closeup pics of the guides and post them, and mine does have a small squarish nylon block with a hole which i guess guides the front derailleur inner cable to the standard plastic cable guide on the bottom bracket and then comes up to the bottom pull derailleur(this one came with a bottom swing m750 xt front derailleur)
    If i find a nice set of maguras i will need shifter pods so i will probably try to find some 739 pods or lux out and go 9 speed m750 pods

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    as promised, here are some pics of the cable stops on the non drive side...[front derailleur and rear brake housing]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails any Vintage Foes guru's in here?-bottom-bracket-front-derailleur-cable-guide.jpg  

any Vintage Foes guru's in here?-bottom-frame-bottle-cage-mounts.jpg  

any Vintage Foes guru's in here?-non-drive-side-lower-cable-guide.jpg  

any Vintage Foes guru's in here?-non-drive-side-lower-front-derailleur-nylon-guide.jpg  

any Vintage Foes guru's in here?-non-drive-side-upper-cable-stops-guides.jpg