mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Any Ted Wojcik Experts out there?

I have this on the way to me, so incredibly excited to get it and build it up. I only bought the frame, headset, BB, and cranks off it as the rest of the stuff on it was not all that exciting to me. Does anyone know much about these frames? I think this one is a 90-92. Once I get it physically I am going to call Ted to get a bit more detail on the frame and its exact year but I think it was shortly after he upped his production in the early nineties.

I believe this to be a Soft-Trac although the previous owner noted it as a Softride (thinking they were just mistaken). I have a bunch of other forks around as you can see on the wall photo below (and yes I wish that Stumpjumper Pro in the photo was one size smaller, let me know if anyone needs a bigger size as I would love to get a smaller one) that I will be playing around with on this frame as well as some other early nineties steel frames that I have around. Been really fun playing around with these on my Super Grizzly and MB1(s). I am hoping to stumble on some P-series Ritcheys over the next several months and also have those around to play with.

Does anyone know what rigid fork Ted would have spec'd on this era of his frames? I would be interested to start the search for one of those as well to add to the collection. The later catalogs note a "long" fork but I am guessing that is after he suspension corrected the frames. Would love to know everyone's thoughts there.

MOMBAT: Ted Wojcik History

Is there an official Wojcik thread? I couldn't find one.......

Any Ted Wojcik Experts out there?-wojcik.jpg

Any Ted Wojcik Experts out there?-shocks.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Call him and ask him?
    Contact Ted Wojcik

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    You can always just drop Ted a line. I bought a Wojcik around the same era as yours and have developed an unhealthy attachment to it. I'm no expert on these bikes-being from the da west side, but for me the geo' feels right, (this is after I threw on a Manitou 3 fork on mine). Now that I think of it, maybe the Mag (like yours) is a smarter way to go...

Super_stein has one too, he may know more about them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Definitely with you Austin Dave and I will be contacting him directly. I am waiting till I have it physically in hand though so that I can give him the serial number. Just was curious to see what I can learn in the interim as it is making a slow UPS crawl across the US.

Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    I believe this to be a Soft-Trac although the previous owner noted it as a Softride
    Soft-Trac was his suspension frame with the AMP rear end.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    MOMBAT: Ted Wojcik History

According the some catalog scans from mombat seems that Soft-Trac was also the name given to the front suspension only frames.

Ted Wojcik - 26" Sof-Trac Mountain Bike

Current page also shows a hardtail with a slightly edited spelling on the name.

mtbr member
    My wife has both a Wojcik MTN and Road bike. They make me supremely jealous. Nicest tig'd steel bikes in the world IMO.

Her MTB had a paint matched 1st gen Judy (so I assume supplied with the build), but now has a set of Tange Struts.

taste death, live life.
    I have 4 Teds and 1 on the way.

1991 - Rigid hardtail
    1994 - Amp front and rear susp.
    1996 - Hardtail with Rock Shox Judy
    1999 - Hardtail with Headshok
    2013 - 650b Hardtail (in process)

Ted told me about the tubing he used on the 1991, but I can't remember.

Ted has a stellar memory about his bikes. Give him a jingle (Mon-Thurs). Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Post up some pictures of those. I am guessing mine will be a lot like your '91 once I get it. Would love to see some of his other handy work. The seller told me that it was made with Logic tubing but once I get it physically and can grab the serial number I will be calling Ted to try and get the low down on it. Should be a really fun bike to ride from all indications.

Stokeless Asshat
    Nice bikes for sure and he's an icon in the industry. There was a shop here that specialized in Wojcik so there are quite a few in this area. The geo on his stock bikes though. Short top tubes aint my bag.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims 80's vintage 32 or 36
    Salsa or similar stem. 1" threadless. 120 with rise.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by super_stein View Post
    Ted has a stellar memory about his bikes. Give him a jingle (Mon-Thurs). Good luck.
    Ted's a super guy and will talk your ear off. If you're curious about the year, Ted often stamped the date (MMDDYY) on the bottom bracket as the serial number. Mine is 051607.

By the way, the green Sof-Trac currently posted on his web page is mine, though in its original configuration back in 2007. You can see the current setup here and being raced at Singlespeed-a-Palooza here. I had Circle A Cycles replace the dropouts to Black Cat Swingers so it's now a single speed. I run both 26" and 650B and it's a really nice rig. Ted affectionately called mine a "Yo Teddy."

mtbr member
    This bike was 30 minutes from me, I drove down and took a look at it when she first listed it, but it was too small for my needs, so I reluctantly had to pass. You will love it-the craftsmanship is, as always, fantastic. I have a '96ish Soft Trac FS with the Battle carbon swingarm, and was hoping to add another Ted to the fold for Miss K. but too small is too small. Here is the thread for mine if you'd like to have a look: 1996 Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac FS
    Looking for a TNT Titanium front hub....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I love that green one on his site danger pants, was eyeballing that the other day.

Shogun, hoping that it will work for me size wise but worst case it will be rehomed elsewhere. I actually tend to be along the same lines with Jeff of loving long top tubes so this will prove an interesting experiment. Basic plan for me has been to find as many reasonably priced steel frames as I can, grab them and be able to do side by side comparisons utilizing the same general build components. Been fun to isolate down the ride characteristics to simply the frame.

Definitely looking forward to it showing up. Now to find some P-series Ritchey's, a WTB/Potts, nice Rocky Mountain, Waterford built Paramount, etc etc etc

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sent my '98 back to Ted for a disc conversion and repaint this past winter. He still does great work. Be patient though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 993rs View Post
    Sent my '98 back to Ted for a disc conversion and repaint this past winter. He still does great work. Be patient though...
    Placed my order with Ted for a 26" HT in the beginning of March, still waiting.

taste death, live life.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellensdad View Post
    Placed my order with Ted for a 26" HT in the beginning of March, still waiting.
    My 650b order was placed in Oct. Patience is a virtue.