Psalm 29:11
    Feb 2004

New question here. Any Mtn. Tek riders out there?

I have a '94 or so Mtn. Tek Extreme that I bought used in college around 1995 or 1996. I've used it as a commuter, as a XC bike, and now as a street bike for riding the paved trails in my neighborhood on the days that I don't have time to go mountain biking on my Jamis. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has ever even heard of Mtn. Tek and if there are still any riders using them?

VRC Illuminati
    Heard of them, but I don't think I've seen any come through this forum.

Post some pics.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

"paved trails." Never understood this.

IMHO, trail = dirt

mtbr member
    paved trail = bike path

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    but a bike path can also be gravel or dirt....

paved trail= offroad bike lane?
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I considered a Mtn. Tek that was listed on Ebay some months back. It looked capable enough, having a butted cro-mo frame fitted with DX/LX components. I remember thinking that most of the bike’s potential value came from its components. I don’t mean to disparage the brand, but most people have never heard of it, and something about the “Tek” spelling cries out either a rip-off of “Trek,” or just a misplayed marketing attempt that comes off as just bad spelling. But I'm sure it would make a great campus/get around bike with a high "stealth" rating.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Mtn Tek owner

We own 2 matching his/hers Mtn Tek bikes we purchased in Provo for use at college in '92. I also rode mine on four hour campus patrol work daily for two years. Now our daughter just started college and is using mine, including my old u-lock. She said she saw the exact same model parked around campus but in really rough shape. After college, we tried riding through Scioto Trails in Ohio and thought we might have given our toddlers brain damage, the "bike trails" were so rough.

nobody
    Mtn Tek was the Pederson's house brand bicycle. They were a sporting goods store like Sport's Authority. Not sure if they're still around. Saw a lot of these bikes when I wrenched during college in UT in the mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    I considered a Mtn. Tek that was listed on Ebay some months back. It looked capable enough, having a butted cro-mo frame fitted with DX/LX components. I remember thinking that most of the bike’s potential value came from its components. I don’t mean to disparage the brand, but most people have never heard of it, and something about the “Tek” spelling cries out either a rip-off of “Trek,” or just a misplayed marketing attempt that comes off as just bad spelling. But I'm sure it would make a great campus/get around bike with a high "stealth" rating.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about