Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Any Masi guys here?

I know, it's a road bike, so if it bugs you, just ignore me

I have a chance to pick up a ~18 year old Masi 3V for about 6 bills, full Campy Super Record. Seems a good deal, just wanted to check and see what the deal was. Prices are all over the map, and I don't claim to be an expert. I know theres, CA built ones, and Italy built ones, and that's about as deep as I go.

Thoughts?

Beside ghost ride it (Rumpfy)
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

price sounds good

the 3 Volumetricas are nice but most collectors seek the Gran Criteriums. You can contact Jim @ CyclArt if you want some info on the bike. Or go to their website, I think there's some articles on the CA built Masis that will give you more info.

good luck

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I know a little about Masi () and like haaki mentioned, Gran Criteriums are more "collectible," especially the earlier 70's Carlsbad built models during the days of Baylis, Confente, et. al. However, the 3V may be a better rider because of the oversized tubes and 6 bills for a complete SR bike sounds pretty good if the frame still has a decent paint job. BTW, the purple "Team 3V" frames with the Power Bar stickers are less collectible because they were kind of a production frame that was sold to racers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

you can sometimes tell

by the serial number (or added letter) who built the frame. Let's not forget Dave Moulton.
    Masi Carlsbad became the training ground for a group of soon to be legendary frame builders.

ah Confente, his lugs look like polished jewels

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    $600 for that Masi is OK. not great but OK. if it's super clean and your size i'd say go for it.

i have a Masi myself. i live in San Diego and the Carlsbad CA built Masi's are top dog around here. we actually have a Masi Ride where Masi's get together and ride from down town SD to the old Masi factory maybe 30-40 miles away.

my Masi is also outside the 1970's highly collectible range but is collectible for another reason. it was built by Dave Moulton in late 1981 for the early 1982 New York bicycle trade show. it is the only Aero Masi ever made. it has Aero tubing with all Dura Ace AX components. just happens to be my size too. still working on cleaning it up.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by haaki
    by the serial number (or added letter) who built the frame. Let's not forget Dave Moulton.
    Masi Carlsbad became the training ground for a group of soon to be legendary frame builders.

ah Confente, his lugs look like polished jewels
    That's true on some years, but the early Carlsbad Masis had a serial number that began with MC. Many people believe that stands for Mario Confente, but it simply means Masi Carlsbad. Somewhere in the web-o-sphere is a definitive serial number list.

Actually, Chuey would know the most about those early Masi frames as he worked at Masi as a filer during that era.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    That's true on some years, but the early Carlsbad Masis had a serial number that began with MC. Many people believe that stands for Mario Confente, but it simply means Masi Carlsbad. Somewhere in the web-o-sphere is a definitive serial number list.

Actually, Chuey would know the most about those early Masi frames as he worked at Masi as a filer during that era.
    I think the MC was actually Masi California, but that is still disputed, though early jerseys that came with bikes said Masi California.
    Many of Mario's have no numbers as they were custom
    I used to work next door to CyclArt so I had plenty of Masi Lore. I never got one as I'm a bigger rider and would need a 3V to avoid flex in a 60-61 Cm frame.

good sources

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Masi_usa_main.htm

http://bhovey.com/Masi/masidates.htm

artistic...
    hmmm... the 3V LOOOKS awesome but...seems it's not the best ride this side of classic 80s road bikes. something about the oversized internal ligged construction didn't make magic happen.
    there was a white one at the LBS and i could not stop admiring it w/ all those flags painted. otoh the owner liked his Pinarello better.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    it is the only Aero Masi ever made. it has Aero tubing with all Dura Ace AX components.
    That's hot! Thanks for all the info guys I'll try to work a better deal to make it worth the effort. It's one of these eBay things, guy wants my item, and wants to trade me the bike, and several hundred of my dollars. Seems a good deal, a bit too small for me, but I may just sell it through my shop. Or, if the parts are clean, use them for another build. Who knows. Appreciate it!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

bonked
    Hey look roller cams, er, I mean Para Pulls
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    I liked the ride of the 3v's there were 2 versions at the time one with other company logo's on the top tube and the "naked" version. The pitch was the logos helped lower the cost of the frame as it was advertising space that was sold. The Grand Crits were definitly sexy though. If you could talk the guy down from 6 that makes the deal so much better, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    I just had to say, this is way cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MendonCycleSmith; 12-30-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: needed to ad a pic...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Schipperkes are cool.
    that rear AX derailleur had a semi-indexing feature; I cannot remember which direction, but one way was friction and the other indexing; the indexing is on the RD and not the shifter.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Veloculture: that Masi is SWEEET!

Thanks for sharing. Happy New Years!

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    that rear AX derailleur had a semi-indexing feature; I cannot remember which direction, but one way was friction and the other indexing; the indexing is on the RD and not the shifter.
    thats correct. the derailleur is indexed and the shifter is friction

Apparently this is an Italian Masi, no CM in the serial #. Any thoughts on the transitional ones, not so much dollar wise, (I'm not here to pillage info and profit) but in terms of interest, quality, etc. He sent me some pics, mighty dark, but it looks to be in reasonable shape, but not super.
    Attached Images Attached Images

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

if it is Italian

it was most likely built by the 'tailor' as Faliero Masi was known. At a minimum, under his guidance.
    get it

artistic...
    it was most likely built by the 'tailor' as Faliero Masi was known. At a minimum, under his guidance.
    get it

i read somewhere the 3Vs were designed by Faliero's son.. my memory is not that reliable anyway.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

one of Faliero's Sons has

builds a boutique line of roadies out of Italy, Milano3v by Alberto Masi and Velodrome Vigorelli

http://milano3v.com/

he makes 3Vs(Volumetricas), Ultraleggeros and some modern stuff

he can't make Gran Crits because that model/brand was sold to Masi CA

Bike Dork
    OK just a pedantic question, is the group Super Record or Record? We all know the difference between Nuovo and Record, but SR is special. The difference between Record and Super is titanium hub and pedal axles, and BB spindle mostly. Record gets called SR all the time because people don't remember the difference. Too many years on the CR list has pounded it into my brain. Either way it's worth $600, heck if it was just Nuovo it would be worth that.

bonked
    Wasn't Super also detailed different than Record or Neuvo, in that Super had black accents on the derailleurs where Record was just silver? Foggy memory on that. Point being that some Super parts are easy to spot
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

from my memory

in that era there was no plain "Record"
    there was Nuovo Record (ultimate in the 70's) which became #2 to Super Record (late 70's early 80's)
    yes Super Record has black on the rear mech, but not on the front. The front has some cut outs.
    I have an 84 Merckx and it is mostly super with NR Seat Post and pedals (I did not want Ti Spindles)

Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    OK just a pedantic question, is the group Super Record or Record?
    Yep, it's Super Record, with Record brakes according to the owner. Think I'll pull the lever, and get it rolling. Thanks for all the help and insight fellas!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Bike Dork
    in that era there was no plain "Record"
    there was Nuovo Record (ultimate in the 70's) which became #2 to Super Record (late 70's early 80's)
    yes Super Record has black on the rear mech, but not on the front. The front has some cut outs.

Nope, that's the misconception. The ders and brakes and post and everything else was the same except for the ti bits. The deraileurs were called SR and that was correct, but when you refer to the whole group it should be with the ti stuff to make it SR. So the parts could be SR even if the group wasn't. Think of it in terms of companies calling the groups on their bikes XTR if it only has a XTR rear der. Also if you don't think Record existed at the time look at the hubs, do they say Super Record anywhere, or just Record? I told you my post was pedantic.

See the year 1974 on my buddy Chuck's page for a description and deraileur differences and introduction of the SR group.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    There seems to be truth to each of your Campy Record, Nuovo Record, Super Record explanations.

Campy timeline
    Another Campy timeline
    Campy catalog archive - Interesting is the 1973 catalog that only lists "Record" and "Super Record" and there was a Super Record group with steel axle bb and pedal axles.
    A couple of nice Record and Super Record catalogs from 1974.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast