mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Another old Stumpjumper thread?

Pleez help me work on my mid-80’s Stumpjumper…

Just saw that there's another guy posting here who latched onto one of these recently too. Found mine at a garge sale a while back & let my son run off with it for a few weeks but finally got it back & am starting work. Maybe its not a really rare or unique old mtb but have to admit that I’ve been a Specy fanboy for years & it’s what i’ve got & I like it a lot - it is a heckuva lot of fun to ride. At the moment am headed towards trying to make it close to original as I can, keeping in mind I am no expert. Fortunately all the mechs work well & seem original. The cable housings are rough but for now am worried about the cosmetics.

My q’s…

The seatpost has “Strong” along with made in Japan on it in several places. Do those in the know think it’s OEM? Trying to figure out its size…looks like is marked 27.0? But wear ‘n tear makes it hard to decipher. Could that be the right seatpost size?

This seat just doesn't seem quite right...no Specialized markings on the underside, & has a made in China sticker. Any chance it could be original?

Will check in here with more questions & updates on my progress if the forum doesn't mind?

Thanx for any help…

PS...for some weird reason, I like the dork disc on this bike???

mtbr member
    Seat post probably original. 27.0 could very well be the correct size (does it fit??) and that seat is a low end model from early to mid 90s I'd guess.

VRC Illuminati
    Saddle, grips, pedals, and tires are not original. The rest of it looks to be. That Strong post will last for ever.

Look for a Specialized Lambada or maybe Avocet Touring saddle for correctness.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Love the color! I really want a lugged Stumpy one of these days! Check MOMBAT for specs, colors, & serial numbers to help date your bike & hopefully figure out what's stock and what's been replaced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Saddle, grips, pedals, and tires are not original. The rest of it looks to be. That Strong post will last for ever.

Look for a Specialized Lambada or maybe Avocet Touring saddle for correctness.
    Hard to tell for sure, but I think those are the original pedals...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    yeah, i had already caught on that as others also mentioned - the saddle, grips, & tires are not oe. they're wear items that get replaced along the way if a bike gets ridden much so i will live with them for now. my question about the seatpost was due to the fact that there's a very tiny crack where the clamp goes into the post & would like to be able to find a repacement for if/when it does go.

i went to MOMBAT soon as i found the bike & this seems to be an '86. i couldn't find info there how to decipher the serial # to figure the prodution date to make sure, anybody here know?

thanx again for your help ...

mtbr member

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch View Post
    my question about the seatpost was due to the fact that there's a very tiny crack where the clamp goes into the post & would like to be able to find a repacement for if/when it does go.
    The head is bonded onto the post, do you mean the small "crack" that follows the circumference where they meet? If so, it's not a problem at all.

If it's a "real crack" you might want to start looking for a new post. It's a real bummer to ride home with a broken post, not to mention the possibility of injury. Strong posts should not be too hard to find on ebay with a little patience.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    thanx for the link @CYCLEJCE, that is exactly where i had already found the info that lead me to deduce my stumpy is prolly an '86. i am still hoping to learn how to interpret the serial#...is there somewhere for that on MOMBAT that i am missing? or somewhere else on the interwebz that my poor googling skills are making me miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    The head is bonded onto the post, do you mean the small "crack" that follows the circumference where they meet? If so, it's not a problem at all.

If it's a "real crack" you might want to start looking for a new post. It's a real bummer to ride home with a broken post, not to mention the possibility of injury. Strong posts should not be too hard to find on ebay with a little patience.
    cmon now @Jak0zilla...while i admit that i am inexperienced in working with "vintage" mtbs, i am far from a bike moron & know the difference between an actual crack & the joint where a clamp meets a post

Another old Stumpjumper thread?-crack.jpg

unfortunately the crack is growing - i have to find a replacement seatpost now. don't have a caliper so a confirmation that 27.0mm is the correct size would be very helpful. then i am left with deciding, if the "Strong" seatpost is indeed original, whether to try find the same one or to just get a decent post in the right size.

appreciate any help &/or suggestions...

Humanoid Lobster
    Okay, okay. That's a real crack!

You never can tell around here who knows what about whatnot. I'll hand it to you, you definitely know a crack when you see one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Okay, okay. That's a real crack!

You never can tell around here who knows what about whatnot. I'll hand it to you, you definitely know a crack when you see one.
    i am really glad that we established that i am a crack expert???

so i latched onto what i think/hope is a "correct" seatpost which is on the way. now on to my next lil project...

was it here or in the specialized pic thread that i mentioned the brake cable housings on this bike are shot? anyway...i went to my favorite lbs today looking for help to get it redone & the mech told me the right cables i need are shimano slr? which he also told me is an old, odd size that is not so common anymore?

the shop offered me some other cable housings that they said would work for this bike but i looked on the interwebz & found some resources for various forms of slr cabling, or an alternative that seems to be a later version - shimano m-system?

should i be making such a fuss about getting the cabling "right"? since i found it i have been riding this bike quite a bit - what would you do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    That Strong post will last for ever.

Heh.

Nice Stumpy!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post

Heh.

Nice Stumpy!
    Ha!
    Funny...

Strongs don't go for that much on the bay.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch View Post
    anyway...i went to my favorite lbs today looking for help to get it redone & the mech told me the right cables i need are shimano slr? which he also told me is an old, odd size that is not so common anymore?
    I'm not going to claim that I'll give you "museum grade restoration advice", but you probably just want oversize cables. I'm not sure what the exact original equipment cables were, but 6mm housing was common, as were braided cables. (Although SLR came later than this bike, and was a bit of Shimano brandspeak applied to their stuff for a long time after. Say mid-90's. It translates roughly as "Shimano lined housing with return springs in the brake levers.")

If you're more focused on riding, don't sweat it. Just find the proper ferrules so everything fits together snugly without housing flopping around. Save all the old ferrule bits and pieces, including a sample of the housing in case you do decide to go on a vision quest to obtain it.

He be a moose too.
    It's a real bummer to ride home with a broken post
    I stopped to ask directions once and leaned on the saddle. There was no resistance and the saddle went vertical with a cracked head. Guy said, "Steel or aluminum? If it's steel, I can weld it to get you home." It was thirty-five miles home, so it was a long ride. Not quite Cindy Whitehead, but still long.

One thing I noticed was that the post appears to be on the short side. Not sure how much post is in the frame and you might consider getting a longer one. IIRC, the rule of thumb is two inches of post minimum below the top tube. Not sure if that means top of it or bottom but I always go with the bottom.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Another old Stumpjumper thread?-100_0476.jpg

I have one just like yours exempt its a larger frame. Same color, and I believe mine is an 86 also. Mine has the strong seat post like yours, exempt for the tires, I think mine is original ( it's possible the cables could have been replaced). Hopefully the photo is attached and you can see how mine is equipped so you can compare.