mtbr member

Another Diamondback year ID

Anyone know what year this Diamondback Apex is? I bough it used in either late 1991 or early 1992 from the Nashbar classified ads (anyone remember that?). It came with full LX components, including 7-speed thumb shifters. The paint is a cool marbled grey color with a purple iridescent clear coat. Obviously not much is original anymore, but with 42x18 singlespeed gears it doesn't need a tensioner and makes a great commuter bike.

And no, the fork is not bent, and the top tube sits pretty level. It's just the angle that it's leaning against the fence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John Galt
    Here's a previous thread about the same model and paint job. I wonder if some versions in the same year had cantis and some the rear U-brake, or if the paint job was available for more than one model yr...

diamond back year question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have to wonder if that bike is early 90s or so. I have the orange 88 Apex in the other thread that cegrover linked to in his post. I doubt DB made two versions of the frame, canti and u-brake, because it would cost too much to have different production runs or retooling. I also think the straight blade fork is a little newer, reminds me of the early 90s Raleighs.

the new Gilbert Grape

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    I have to wonder if that bike is early 90s or so. I have the orange 88 Apex in the other thread that cegrover linked to in his post. I doubt DB made two versions of the frame, canti and u-brake, because it would cost too much to have different production runs or retooling. I also think the straight blade fork is a little newer, reminds me of the early 90s Raleighs.
    A buddy of mine had one of those (his had the under stay u-brake) when we started riding together in '93. At that point his bike was not new, so it'd definitely from somewhere before that.

... no that that was much help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a 1990 DB catalog that shows that same paint job (Smoke w/ Lilac Clear coat) on the Ascent EX, which was the step below the Apex. So, I'd guess that maybe the paint scheme was on the Apex the year before and trickled down a price point for '90?

All 26.5" all the time!
    If it came with thumbshifters, it's definately pre 1990. The push-push rapid-fire STI shifters made their intro for the 1990 model year. The LX components.... are they Deore LX or Mountain LX?

John Galt

Speaking of Diamondback..

...my garage has a new Arrival. Capitalization, and thus the pun, intended. I haven't picked this one up yet, so sorry for the auction photo:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    If it came with thumbshifters, it's definately pre 1990. The push-push rapid-fire STI shifters made their intro for the 1990 model year. The LX components.... are they Deore LX or Mountain LX?
    I'm pretty sure they were Deore LX shifters, but they have been gone a long time. About the only original parts are the seatpost and brakes. If it helps, here's a picture of the brakes:

As for others questioning if it's early 1990's, as I said before, I bought it used in late 1991 or early 1992. And it was well used, not one of those "almost new" used bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John Galt
    What's the model number info on the brakes? This page might help if you can find a date code on a component:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano

If you have a stock crank arm, you may be in luck...

Medium?

That was my second Mtn Bike

I heard somewhere that the Arrival frames were recalled. Mine was an '89, and served me well until '97. I just sold the frame and some parts last year for about $89.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    What's the model number info on the brakes? This page might help if you can find a date code on a component:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano

If you have a stock crank arm, you may be in luck...
    Cool info!

I have what I remember is the original drive side crank arm (the non-drive side rounded out years ago), but the only markings that could be the date code are "76". That doesn't match the web site info, and the marking is very clear; not much chance of misreading it.

But the brakes also have markings. LB, LI, KK, and LJ. I'm surprised to see such a wide range of dates, but based on that info the bike seems likely to be a 1988 model with date a date code as late as Oct. 1987.

Also, the serial number on the frame does not have any 7's or H's (the seventh letter) in it, but it does have an 8.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    I have to wonder if that bike is early 90s or so. I have the orange 88 Apex in the other thread that cegrover linked to in his post. I doubt DB made two versions of the frame, canti and u-brake, because it would cost too much to have different production runs or retooling.
    I agree it doesn't seem to make sense to have both brake options at first, but, then again it seems like several bike companies back then offered the same frame with different components as different models and sometimes those different components included the different brake types.

Maybe the brake change was easy to make because the frame producer already made multiple brake types on the same, or very similar frames? Of course, the plant probably also made frames for other brands and needed some flexibility for that, too. Just a thought...

By the way, I remember the guy who sold me my first MTB (Giant AT730) in 1986/1987 told me how Giant made bikes for many major brands. Does anyone know specifically which brands/bikes were made by Giant in the mid to late 80s or, more specifically, were any really interesting bikes back then made by Giant?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Does anyone know specifically which brands/bikes were made by Giant in the mid to late 80s or, more specifically, were any really interesting bikes back then made by Giant?
    Giant still makes a ton of frames for many makers. For instance, Trek's lower-end (non-US built) frames are built by Giant.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Many Schwinn and Specialized frames were also built by Giant in the late 80's and early 90's.

John Galt
    I picked up the Arrival and took some better photos. Looks like it's all original except the saddle and tires. The stem and bars are Nitto and all components are XT.

Side View:

Even the Shark Fin and Shark Tooth decals are in good shape:

My current DB "Family Photo" (too bad my early 80s middle school DB Viper BMX is long gone):

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I worked in a shop in that opened new in 91 and we sold DB. We didn't have any with this paint pattern. Seem like they were all solid colors (low end) or speckled (high end). I think this one was the year before???

Sneaker man
    That bike was my dirst bike, but mine had a black tiogo stem, and came with deore DX on it. i goit in in feb 92, but it was old stock for here in australia. But Susan DeMattie (spell?) rode on in the 1989 Mammoth mountain cross country. can be seen in the first Kamakaze video of that year. I got all excited wwhen i saw that video... well apart from all the great riding and other stuff...

Hmm gave the bike to my bro-in-law, and he still had it last year... i think he still does (after i sold him my piece o junk epic maybe ha got rid of it...)

"El Whatever"
    A friend of mine had an Ascent (?) from late 80's / early 90's... red one with a weird handlebar pretty much like a motorcycle one painted same color as the bike, quill Al stem and I guess Shimano LX gruppo, Canti (duh!) brakes.

Anyone knows what year exactly was it?? Any pics??
    Check my Site

VRC Hound
    That new Arrival is a sweet pickup. I am not sure that the seatpost is original either. What I would do for a garage to fill with bikes. The WAF of bikes in the hallway of our apartment is falling steeply with each of my purchases.

VRC Hound
    As the others have noted, the Apex is definitely late 80s. My guess would be around 87 since the paint is similar to that on bikes I flogged at a bike shop at the time. Same smoke look but bright green base. With a full Deore group the bikes went for around 799.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    A friend of mine had an Ascent (?) from late 80's / early 90's... red one with a weird handlebar pretty much like a motorcycle one painted same color as the bike, quill Al stem and I guess Shimano LX gruppo, Canti (duh!) brakes.

Anyone knows what year exactly was it?? Any pics??
    I don't think that's enough info, but it could be this. I'd assume the handlebar was aftermarket unless someone here knows of any mustache bars on stock diamondbacks.

http://www.airfreetires.com/Specs/St...t+EX&Year=1995

"El Whatever"
    I don't think that's enough info, but it could be this. I'd assume the handlebar was aftermarket unless someone here knows of any mustache bars on stock diamondbacks.

http://www.airfreetires.com/Specs/St...t+EX&Year=1995
    Thanks but I'm not sure... I'd like to give more info but my memory fails me.

H-bars were not moustache but rather riser.. they just had a backwards-downwards sweep (like 10° backwards - 5° downwards) on the grips (much like a motorcycle do). Iwas weird but yet comfortable. Imagine a modern riser bar with a sweep like described and you got the idea.

Thanks again!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a 92(?) Apex. black with green dribble paint and DX 7spd. Its not that standard anymore (kitted with early 90s hot-up bits). It originally came with 'Brahma bars' (one piece bar and bar-ends) and Tioga stem. It also had the "low profile" DX cants
    Take care out there,
    Purdyboy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey all

First thread here, as I'm researching exactly this bike. Its an 89 DB Apex. Came with a full Deore group set. Components were Avenir -
    Currently trying to replace the drivetrain but having problems with the spacing on the HG block. I bought mine in 92 and rode it for a good few years before selling onto my dad to buy a 93 GT pantera.

Thanks