Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009

amp research help

Hello,

I have a customer that rolled in a amp research bike, the cable pull hydraulic brakes are shot and he's missing a set of pads. Dose anyone out there have any of this stuff they'd want to sell or know where I can get any of this stuff. I was told by my customer that they still have the complete kits but they run about 200 bucks, so he was looking to avoid that. I'm just putting out the feelers for him but I don't expect much.

thanks in advance.

illuminaughty
    I'm assuming you mean the Amp brakes...don't know much about them but a few people here might help you. muddybuddy comes to mind..maybe ameybrook or DeeEight?

Certified Bike Junkie
    not me. As much as I liked my Amp bikes, I never really delt with their brakes. I remember pads being listed on ebay. Other than that, I can't help.

EBC RED BRAKE PADS - ROCKSHOX & AMP | eBay
    Last edited by muddybuddy; 12-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    thanks, the pads are a +. The calipers are resisting attempts to fix them....too bad the bike is a nice piece.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Does the frame not have rim brake mounts? If it does I'd recommend going that way and not spend too much time on the disks. Depending on which Amp fork it has, Amp may still have bolt on rim brake posts.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    No, it's a full commitment to the discs here and it's looking like it will be yard art next.

mtbr member
    I like yard art on the cheaper version.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    I know it is a bit verboten to update a bike, but there have been update kits occasionally on E-Bay.

They'll let more modern disc brakes run on the front. I've seen 'em for the back too, but more rarely. And don't know how much it retailed for, it was an ebay thing, but I'm sure that a machine shop could do the work too.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    I can make brackets, however when you add the cost of the brackets (not much) and then some cheap mech disc calipers (around a 100 bucks?) we're near the 200 for a new set up from amp. This is the constant problem I encounter, people want their stuff fixed but for 50 bucks, not what it will really cost to do it right. I think it's realistic to say that this one will not be running again any time soon. Thanks for the input.

Atomic Cycles

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post
    I can make brackets, however when you add the cost of the brackets (not much) and then some cheap mech disc calipers (around a 100 bucks?) we're near the 200 for a new set up from amp. This is the constant problem I encounter, people want their stuff fixed but for 50 bucks, not what it will really cost to do it right. I think it's realistic to say that this one will not be running again any time soon. Thanks for the input.

Atomic Cycles
    Doesnt AMP still carry small parts? Try contacting them. It still says on their site that they have parts.

Official AMP Research PowerStep, BedStep, BedStep2, BedXTender
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post

Atomic Cycles
    Doesnt AMP still carry small parts? Try contacting them. It still says on their site that they have parts.

Official AMP Research PowerStep, BedStep, BedStep2, BedXTender

For bike questions, parts or technical support, give us a call 1-888-983-2206, or fire-off an E-mail to us.

Specialized sucks dong

-bustin punks
    Harry and Horst are both cool dudes. Call or email.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    EBC still make the pads, and AMP still keep a lot of parts for their bikes, but stocks are begining to run out. I had a caliper rebuilt by them a couple of years ago. Brion was brilliant in getting the item rebuilt and shipped back to me in the UK. It's still running fine today, even after several thousand miles.

I made a shed load of adaptors (probably me you saw on ebay ) to run ISO mount discs on the AMP frame and fork, see the thread here retrobike :: View topic - Amp fork disc brake adaptor? and as seen on Haze's lovely B5 here retrobike :: View topic - Amp Research B5 Resto-Mod project

I also did a bunch of adaptors to run ISO discs on the old Marzocchi Bomber Z1's & 2's

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by joeydeacon View Post
    I also did a bunch of adaptors to run ISO discs on the old Marzocchi Bomber Z1's & 2's
    That's good to know. A couple nights ago, while rebuilding and polishing up a 98 Z1 Bam in a semi drunken state, I almost hacksawed the disc mount off for a cleaner look. However, I know better than to use the hacksaw while drinking.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    That's good to know. A couple nights ago, while rebuilding and polishing up a 98 Z1 Bam in a semi drunken state, I almost hacksawed the disc mount off for a cleaner look. However, I know better than to use the hacksaw while drinking.

once you hack, you can never go back.

Specialized sucks dong

Stokeless Asshat
    Contact DeeEight. He had/has a ton of Amp stuff for sale and knowledge to share.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    I will pass this along to my customer, thanks for the help.