Thread: Amp B4 content

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Amp B4 content

Building bikes up is really an enjoyable hobby. The right parts are not always the easiest to come by and sometimes a single part can delay completing things for what seems like an eternity. Anyway, my missing link part was a 113mm UN72 shimano BB. As luck would have it I had a 127mm UN72, but there was no way that this long-spindled BB was going to cut-it for this bike. I didn't realize it was going to be so tough to find, but finally I found a NOS one on Ebay, purchased it and then had to wait for it to be delivered from Malaysia. I had just about given up on this BB ever making it and yesterday it showed up!! Merry Christmas to me and the Amp I guess!

Anyway, after the kids and grandkids left this morning I finished her up. Still some tuning to do, and a few of the parts like the brakes and levers will probably change in the future, but for now she is rideable and I thought I would share a few pics for the few Amp lovers out there (I know theres more than just me...right?).

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!!

Jeff

Thumbs Up!
    Patience is a necessary evil around here

Looks like a nice sturdy rider congrats.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I have had a tricked-out B2 and a nice B3, but never a B4. My B2 is still hanging in my buddies garage completely decked-out in 3dv cooks rsr cranks, Ringle hubs and moby post, brakes, levers and spoke nipples. Back then it was cutting-edge cool, then that color scheme became garish, and now I whish I had that bike back again. Maybe sometime in the future..

I think you hit the nail on the head with this B4. Its a very solid bike and meant to be a rider. It does have a pristine paint finish though (which did not photograph well), and no dents or scrapes in any of the tubes. Although I would give the frame and fork a 9.0 out of 10 for condition, this bike will never be built into a garage queen thats for sure. The parts mix are all work-horse level pieces like the 737 XT crankset, UN72 BB, XT FD & RD, XT thumbies, and 535 spd pedals. The silver Thomson stem and post and Chris King headset are newer items which were again chosen for durability and also to offset the blue and silver polished seat spar. The monkeylite SL bars are also newer items, as are the Bontrager Racelite wheelset with DT swiss hubs, which are light and equipped with an XTR 8spd cassette.

The XTR v-brakes and avid levers are good performers but I do think a nice set of silver Pauls brakes and levers would really round the bike out nicely, and the Wtb saddle needs booted in favor of a nice original flite. I may also end-up with a proper set of 8spd XT rapidfire shifters to replace the thumbies, although there is certainly something to be said about the simplicity of the thumbies and I can still run my other 7spd wheelset with fat-boys when needed.

This bike hangs next to my sons 2002 FSR s-works and comparing the two visually the lineage is clear. These bikes (even the FSR) are certainly not as beefy as many of the current FS bikes on the market today, but for the XC riding they were intended for they still hold their own and the light weight and agility of these bikes can still bring a smile to my face carving the single track trails here in Missouri.

JR

I picked two too many
    Wow, a blue one. 1st one I've sen in Blue. Nice.

mtbr member
    Nice. And good call on the saddle...a flite will look much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

B4

Very nice! I wish I saw this post about 2 weeks ago, I just sold that exact BB on ebay from my amp. Back when I purchased the frame set, I upgraded to a Ti BB. Well today I am still riding this B4, and my dad has my B2. I just started riding again after a 4yr gap. And have put about 150 miles on it in past 2 months. I recently contacted amp and purchased rebuild kits for the front and rear calipers and front fork. Brion still works there and very helpful. I am going to get rid of the 130mm stem and flat bar, and try out a 105/6deg with a low rise bar. Glad to see your bike, thanks for posting!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76krb/s...g.w560h420.jpg

I will never get rid of it, but I now have a brand new Ellsworth joker find, that I am building up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the pics of your B4 Treetrimmer! Man, I do wish I had your F4blt carbon fork, the Risse shock, and the disc brakes..that is one nice looking set-up!! I know that there have been some one-off examples of disc brake adapters for the amps that allow the use of contemporary disk systems, but my search for that bit of metal has yet to be successful. I am currently thinking about using Magura's on the bike, although the weight certainly is a consideration.

The longer stem flat-bar set-up is a pretty traditional set-up for the Amps, but after riding my last Amp B3 (I will post pictures later) which came equipped with a shorter stem and riser bar, I realized that it was a pretty nice set-up (at least for my ergonomics). I am probably going to change out my current stem for another silver Thomson with a bit more rise though.

So whats the clearance like between the air shock and the seatpost tower?

Thanks again!

Jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Rissie Shock

It looks like I have about 1/8" clearance on each side of the shock to the seat tower. This was a recommended shock by AMP when the original kept failing. I still have the original but like the Rissie better. With no weight or sag on this shock, the rear triangle flexes allot, but once I load it up with sag,things start tightening up. I am going to order the rear pivot replacements and see if that helps. I think I have some play back there.

Later,

Treetrimmer

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the confirmation on the Risse B4 fit and the close-up picture. Here is a pic of my last Amp, a B3 with a Risse as well.

The Risse really helped stiffen-up the lateral flex on the mac-strut which was partly due to the flexy frame, but secondly due to the flex in the stock shock shaft. The Risse equipped B3 was way better than my original stock shock equipped B2. The B4 is better yet even with the stock shock, and I am sure the Risse makes the B4 very similar to an FSR. My biggest gripe about the air shocks is that they do not provide nearly the supple ride of the stock spring/oil shock, and because of the way they are built you actually lose some available travel (or so I am told ). Right now my shock and fork are both in decent shape, but I am glad I still have my amp damper rebuild tools and even happier that they are so easy to re-build. If you ever decide to get rid of that stock damper let me know & I am also on the hunt for a medium F3 fork spring.

Thanks again!

Jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Spring

Jeff,

Check amp-research.com and call Brion. They still have a limited supply of replacements, you may get lucky and be able to get the spring you need. Last month I ordered rebuild kits for my shocks and brake calipers. I don't think I will be parting with my original shock, I just rebuilt it and will probably end up getting a new spring too if avail. I am 200+ 6'1 so I think the main reason I got the Rissie was due to the weaker spring I have. I do notice the ride quality difference you mentioned though. I think the reliability is why I lean to the Rissie. When I get over to my parents house I will gets some pics of my old B2 that he owns. It has been hanging in his shop for about 8 yrs.

Paul

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Paul,

You are right-on with your comments about Amp and in particular Brion. I have been dealing with Brion for years and in fact that nice yellow decal on the top tube of that B3 is courtesy of Brion.

Amp is very supportive of amp bike owners even if they don't really cater to that market segment any longer. If it weren't for Brions level of customer service and amp researches commitment to an older product line my comfort level with owning amps would be much lower. Even so parts are starting to run thin and medium F3 fork springs are no longer readily available. Certainly not "unobtainable", but simply more difficult to locate. As they say "timing is everything".

Thanks again for the amp talk!

Jeff