Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Lawyer Time! No Comment.

All things Mantis...

In conversations with people, Mantis seems to be one of the most sought after classic brands, along with Yeti & Fat Chance. I suppose it makes sense geographically, and with respect to their focus. Mantis being the cool west coast builder making wild innovative strides, Fat Chance being the east coast builder making traditional, almost puritanical, but equally masterful bike art, and Yeti, right in the middle, offering a (possibly more) stable balance of innovation and quality.

Well, it only seems fitting, we have good Yeti & Fat threads, and I know there are a few members here who have Mantiss, and many others who like em. Plus, there's the small matter of my friends polished one, which is up on ebay at the moment, due to a suprise addition to the family...

A photo of my own work in progress, which I'll update as it nears completion...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (172.8 KB, 5482 views)
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

the new Gilbert Grape
    The one on eBay looks nice. A bit pricey, but nice.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

okay okay

Yep, I know, I have some explaining to do. I figured seeing as how it's a 2nd generation Mantis (full aluminum), it was okay to build & ride it, after 10 years of waiting patiently in its box. Of course, it was horribly tempting to go crazy with Record OR and Grafton & Ringle bits, but I got to thinking, I'd sure like a bike I could actaully ride without worrying about. An xc softail with discs, a sturdy front end, but still light enough to climb, for colorado trail riding. I love to climb, but all the light climbing bikes I've had never descend worth a dang, and are even pretty scary in singletrack at speed. Usually it's due to the flimsy rockshox & superlight wheels. More than anything, I hate a wandering front end. The Mavic XL's are plenty light, with alum spokes, but excessively strong and stiff, with the straightpulls & 20mm thru, and the Marzocchi is built like a battleship. The fork rides about 1/2 height under sag, which doesn't screw up the geometry TOO bad, and has a quick lockout valve which settles about there and then locks in for long climbs. The rest of the build is a straightforward xc setup. So, it's a bike built to serve a specific purpose. Call it XC+. Not quite freeride, cause I don't jump off things, but should be good going fast for long periods at a time, over whatever comes up at fruita this year...

fsp

> Subject: New Skool!

> Pete,

> New Pro-Floater with big time fork, Shimano dual
    > control, carbon riser bar? How can you call yourself
    > Old Skool? Where are the thumbshifters? Where is the
    > 2" of front travel? Where's the campy?
    > Enjoy the freeride,

artistic...

if james bond rode a mtn bike...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsuperpetis
    In conversations with people, Mantis seems to be one of the most sought after classic brands, along with Yeti & Fat Chance. I suppose it makes sense geographically, and with respect to their focus. Mantis being the cool west coast builder making wild innovative strides, Fat Chance being the east coast builder making traditional, almost puritanical, but equally masterful bike art, and Yeti, right in the middle, offering a (possibly more) stable balance of innovation and quality.

Well, it only seems fitting, we have good Yeti & Fat threads, and I know there are a few members here who have Mantiss, and many others who like em. Plus, there's the small matter of my friends polished one, which is up on ebay at the moment, due to a suprise addition to the family...

this would be it..
    did you machine a disc tab on rear?

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

double-o cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    this would be it..
    did you machine a disc tab on rear?
    Yep, had it cnc'd from 7075. 4 parts, 2 adjustable blocks on the inside, and two side plates to sandwich it all together around the hollow triangular dropout via a pair of chainring bolts, and the brakes own 2 mounting bolts. Allows for a bit of adjustability, and directs the load vertically onto the lower, more horizontal surface, instead of the thin angle brace above. Goes something like this...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Early Valkyrie

I have a late 80's x-Framed Valkyrie that I would love to show off but how do you post pics here? Any help would be appreciated. I tried to upload them as an attachment but I don't know if it will work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Well I guess it did work. I will have to post some more pics. Unfortunately this frame has sat as a frame for the past 5 years after having a cracked stay repaired by Wade from Vulture Cycles. I think that she is starting to feel a little neglected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Memories...

Quote Originally Posted by AKamp
    I have a late 80's x-Framed Valkyrie that I would love to show off but how do you post pics here? Any help would be appreciated. I tried to upload them as an attachment but I don't know if it will work.
    The Mantis Valkyries was one bike I definitely lusted after, mostly due to the looks, the trendy elevated chainstays and the promise of more standover height for my short self. If you get it built up, please post a pic and if anyone else already has one built up, likewise, let's see that beauty!

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by surlyVEE
    The Mantis Valkyries was one bike I definitely lusted after, mostly due to the looks, the trendy elevated chainstays and the promise of more standover height for my short self. If you get it built up, please post a pic and if anyone else already has one built up, likewise, let's see that beauty!
    We have a nice Valkyrie pictured @ http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1991...s_Valkyrie.htm

and an earlier Mantis Sherpa @
    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1983_Mantis_Sherpa.htm

Jeff
    First Flight Bicycles

No smart comment

Lovely bike.

Do you still have your Trimble?

on a routine expedition

Screaming V

Here's some shots of my Screaming V. Sadly, it won't be mine much longer as I've just sold it. A great ride...

King Pin

Mantis

Hangin' out with Richard C. back in the day was one of the highlights of my MTB experience! Going out on our trice weekly rides was often spectacular.

RC built frames for me, and I managed to break 'em from time to time. He considered me his "big test rider". At 6'5" and currently 238lbs. (200 at the time) I have no chance to disagree. Just one of those times in my life I would certainly like to re-live.

Those were the days, my friend!

Rolled down white sox, Tomac hi-top shoes, clips and straps......wow. And a double chainring to boot.....
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 01-27-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    Here's some shots of my Screaming V. Sadly, it won't be mine much longer as I've just sold it. A great ride...
    you didn't happen to sell it to Tucker did you?

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Holy smokes. You know, I used to dream about your life, whilst poring over mba's woefully in my Wisconsin ice-cave 9 months at a stretch. I'll bet you have some interesting pics...

Nice Photo, I'd frame that too! Tanks for the Mamries!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    you didn't happen to sell it to Tucker did you?
    I was sooo going to say the same thing!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

King Pin
    Me?

I'm intrigued at your post, don't know whether to say thank you or QQQQ.

Mateo

Holy smokes. You know, I used to dream about your life, whilst poring over mba's woefully in my Wisconsin ice-cave 9 months at a stretch. I'll bet you have some interesting pics...

Nice Photo, I'd frame that too! Tanks for the Mamries!

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

Idea! Pics of the 93 ProFloater

For those of you that requested em, here they are. I'll delete this post within 24 hours, cause such a big pile of graphics will likely choke the thread, & needlessly take up a bunch of space on mtbr's server. In the mean time, here it is...

King Pin

Poof floater

The ProFloater era arrived, and Mantis, as we knew it....ended.

For those of you that requested em, here they are. I'll delete this post within 24 hours, cause such a big pile of graphics will likely choke the thread, & needlessly take up a bunch of space on mtbr's server. In the mean time, here it is...

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

Ach!

What? Seriously? I kinda thought it was an extension of where he was going with the stiff front/ soft rear theory of the beautiful xcr & flying v frames. Kinda suprised he reverted back to tubing for the proflo's front triangle though. Seems like the flying's monocoque front would have slipped right into place. That'd have been one wild looking bike. Can you imagine a more expensive bike to make?

...Shayne, don't you have some pics to post, to fill us in in the middle era?

I thought the end was when the fellas who snagged critical racing and (joes or crystal?) bought em, shut em down, and subbed out full alum copies instead.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

It is still the right XC profile for a dually

Man, that's still the profile that I expect with a XC-FS machine to this day. Would love to see/ride one of 'em, but living in Indiana makes that next to impossible.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member

my xcr

a pix of my XCR, the components are not vintage, but it's fine....for me!!
    any comment.....
    Thanks

Andrea

PS in few days I will post other my Mnatis frames.....

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Wooooah, that is one wild ride Andrea! Is that finish original? That is spectacular. I'd be curious to see the componentry rundown. Ird brakes & Cooks cranks? Very cool indeed.

mtbr member
    Wooooah, that is one wild ride Andrea! Is that finish original? That is spectacular. I'd be curious to see the componentry rundown. Ird brakes & Cooks cranks? Very cool indeed.

Hi Pete,

The fork is Tange,
    king headset
    Ringle post and stem
    Cook F crank
    Paul brake and lever
    Sram shift and rear der.
    XT front der
    Hyperlite bar
    ringle ? wheel set with Salsa skewers, but I would change it with Machine Tech
    Onza porc's tires

for any question feel free to contact me.

Ciao

Andrea

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

Smile

There's the happy looking fellow...

mtbr member

here are my two Insects

a MANTIS XCR and a MANTIS XCR EC that I both bought at Cambria Bicycle Outfitters back in 1987 and 1989
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race" - H.G. Wells

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Ok, Ok, I'm here now...

Sorry dont have my pics readily available at the moment. If anybody has any Mantis questions though I have lots of answers.

I'll try to post some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

Green machine...

A beautiful Flying V someone spingled.
    WHY WHY WHY???

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    The bigger question is where is the rigid fork and stem

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

yesssss

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    The bigger question is where is the rigid fork and stem
    Righto. Like this one!

Uy, all I have are the same few pics everybody else has. We could really use some new imagery, eh?

on a routine expedition

Mantis brochure '96

I've also got the one from '95 and a price list. Just let me know if anyone is interested in me posting it.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

... and if we just ... Go to town man!

I've also got the one from '95 and a price list. Just let me know if anyone is interested in me posting it.
    Holy guacamole. Yes please! That's stunning. A beautiful scanjob too!
    *****innnnnnnnnnnn

on a routine expedition

Mantis pricelist '95

I'll get the '95 brochure up Tues or Wed. Until then, here's the pricelist.

on a routine expedition

'95 catalog

As promised, here's the catalog from 1995. I still laugh when I read where it says the Screaming V will be available 4/95. Try late summer '96, and I got one of the first ones.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

And why wasnt it available in 4/95??

As promised, here's the catalog from 1995. I still laugh when I read where it says the Screaming V will be available 4/95. Try late summer '96, and I got one of the first ones.
    There were prototypes in spring of 1994 that were 95% the same as the production version. I wonder why it took 2 years to start churning them out.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

FB's Flying V (re)discovery.

Ressurrected by FilletBrazed with love, moved to here by moi,

Good heavens that is one small frame. 10"? Yeow...

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Nope, that's a 16" frame

16" was the smallest Flying V frame. If you scale out the pic assuming the cranks are 175mm then it measures out to 17"c-t of seattube.

on a routine expedition

More SV stuff

I wish I had more on the earlier bikes. All I got is this Screaming V stuff, so here's some more. The review is from Bike magazine, and the photo is from the MBA review of the SV.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

Wow.

I wish I had more on the earlier bikes. All I got is this Screaming V stuff, so here's some more. The review is from Bike magazine, and the photo is from the MBA review of the SV.
    Woah, SkullCrack, another beautiful post. Thanks! I know Shayne must be itchin like mad now, with Screaming fever... Seeing as how we still don't have any photos from the man himself, here are a few pics of my ultimate dream bike. Not exactly my favorite finish, but still neat to see in such detail. & that's not the first one of these I've seen done similar to this either...

artistic...

beats colnago geo huh?

beeeaauutiifulll! ]

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

But Colnago's is a factory job...

...so I think that's still cooler. As are Kleins early 90's masterpeices. Anybody can ship their frame to a custom painter and have something neat done. This Flying-V and the stars and stripes XCR-EC are neat but I could send my Huffy to CycleArt or the like and have a frame that's just as purty.

mtbr member
    Pretty cool, but it kinda renders the frame useless. Tell Leni to put in on canvas! Now that ti anodizing he does is another story.

I sure wouldnt take that bike out on a good ride.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    You ride a huffy?

I dare you to prove otherwise!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

F-ing right

You ride a huffy?

I dare you to prove otherwise!
    Serotta built 7-11 Team Huffy

well rode, its gone now.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

... and if we just ... Oh man,

Ok, ya got me. I should have seen that one coming. Especially cause I used to have one too... South Club being nearby was pretty cool.

Looks like I was wrong, this is the same frame as the one above, looks like an earlier stage in the process is all. I still dig the solid green. Or solid blue... Hm, seeing as how we're in a posting mood, and we all like pictures...

artistic...

the main frame shape reminds me of, hmmm, of...

a y trek! did mantis get any money from trek or is life a b*tch?

mtbr member

my Mantis 2

Quote Originally Posted by alasa
    a pix of my XCR, the components are not vintage, but it's fine....for me!!
    any comment.....
    Thanks

Andrea

PS in few days I will post other my Mnatis frames.....
    My Mantis......2

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    WHOOOOoooooly mackerel. I just bought that polished one (way above) back from my friend. Looking at your white one, makes me think maybe I should keep it...

The XCR is a beaut too. Campy Brakes & Suntour transmission?

mtbr member

components

WHOOOOoooooly mackerel. I just bought that polished one (way above) back from my friend. Looking at your white one, makes me think maybe I should keep it...

The XCR is a beaut too. Campy Brakes & Suntour transmission?
    Suntour trasmission and Grafton brakes.

In few week I hope to post my valkyrie and my Flying V, but I have a lot of things to do!!

Andrea

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Wooooooah, yes, you've got a Flying!? I think that and the Trimble are my two favorite bikes of all time, ever, period. . So totally out on a limb pushing materials to their capacity, yet so beautiful, it's like watching form & function tango till they're sore...

I acquired the Polished ProFloater back from my friend, and have it scheduled to be listed on ebay tonight starting at a far more reasonable price. We'll see...

Drooling in anticipation of seeing your Flying.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Woah, SkullCrack, another beautiful post. Thanks! I know Shayne must be itchin like mad now, with Screaming fever... Seeing as how we still don't have any photos from the man himself, here are a few pics of my ultimate dream bike. Not exactly my favorite finish, but still neat to see in such detail. & that's not the first one of these I've seen done similar to this either...

Wow!!!!!!!! Where can I get one with that paint job? I like that a lot!

Witty McWitterson
    Now, what's wrong with singles, eh?

I had no idea you were form Lake Mills! I get over to that area about once a year to see freinds in MWKE. We'll have to try to hook up to ride John Muir(still haven't ridden there though). I'm from the Minneapolis area.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Cool! howdy neighbor! Yep, sure, i'd be up for a spin, whenever you (or heck, anyone) should wind up in my neck of the woods, feel free to le tme know, it'd be fun to show off the finest in Wi singletrack (eesh). John & Emma are the best we've got. Well the Cheguamegon 40 and the Fat Tire Tour Of Milwaukee are still the finest in midwest 1.9" entertainment (mostly for the people), but the kids in the south kettles can indeed be a rockin good time. And the quarry... oooooh don't get me started on the quarry... wow.

ah, nothin against the spingles, I'm just too big a weenie, and have to blame the bike...

mtbr member

my flying V

Wooooooah, yes, you've got a Flying!? I think that and the Trimble are my two favorite bikes of all time, ever, period. . So totally out on a limb pushing materials to their capacity, yet so beautiful, it's like watching form & function tango till they're sore...

I acquired the Polished ProFloater back from my friend, and have it scheduled to be listed on ebay tonight starting at a far more reasonable price. We'll see...

Drooling in anticipation of seeing your Flying.

Hello Pete,
    my flying v.......

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Nice looking frame...

is that a 93 or 94 frame? Too bad you dont have the chrome fork on the front end that would make it very nice.

mtbr member

Flying V

is that a 93 or 94 frame? Too bad you dont have the chrome fork on the front end that would make it very nice.
    I think '94 because '93 had the chrome seat collar. About the fork, I have not a straight blade, I have only a Logic chrome, with curve blade.I have it on my XCR!!!!!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Ok, ok, here's some pics finally

An early XCR frame
    and an early to mid Flying V

mtbr member

Mantis production

An early XCR frame
    Hi, have you an idea about the production number and year of the RC frames, XCR, Vakyrie, Flying V and Pro Floater 1?

Thanks

Andrea

mtbr member
    An early XCR frame
    Very cool XCR. I like it. Is that the original paint?

About that monocoque, whats the purpose? Is it light? Good ride? Just for looks? I guess a camelback would be mandatory.........

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Very cool XCR. I like it. Is that the original paint?

About that monocoque, whats the purpose? Is it light? Good ride? Just for looks? I guess a camelback would be mandatory.........
    No, not the original paint but the same color. It was refinished about 10 yrs ago.

As for the Flying-V I have no idea what the reason behing it was other than to be different. It is not light...probably average for its day but deffinately heavier than the XCR. As far as the ride goes it rides about the same as an XCR-EC (Except for increased standover height). It you didin't look down you wouldn't know you were on it; nothing really distinct about the ride.

Synchronized twizzle
    Feb 2004
    Oh man, I think I have that very issue of Bike kicking around at home somewhere. I was blown away by both the magazine and the content. That ScreamingV inspired some serious bike lust at the time - still does in fact....

Guy I knew had one of those polished pro floaters - must have been one of very few in Australia - wonder what every happened to him/it....

Sam

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Wow you guys. Those are some stunning Flying V's. I used to want one pretty bad, but now, it's going to be bloody the next time one shows up for sale.

Andrea, that is some build! Whose cranks are those? If they're Breezers Lightning Rods, I'm going to keel over right here and now. Spectacolo.

I'd love to see more of those Flying V's. I'm pretty sure it's my hands down favorite frame ever made, by anyone, anywhere (along with the Trimble).

I put the ad up in the classifieds for the profloater disc adapters, if you want a set, let me know. Now's the time.

In the mean time, this is Kurts Valkyrie from Minn. I think this is the best example of one I've seen. It may even be sporting a full Mavic drivetrain at the moment, which would make it EVEN AWESOMER.

mtbr member

Mantis Valkyrie

Wow you guys. Those are some stunning Flying V's. I used to want one pretty bad, but now, it's going to be bloody the next time one shows up for sale.

Andrea, that is some build! Whose cranks are those? If they're Breezers Lightning Rods, I'm going to keel over right here and now. Spectacolo.

I'd love to see more of those Flying V's. I'm pretty sure it's my hands down favorite frame ever made, by anyone, anywhere (along with the Trimble).

I put the ad up in the classifieds for the profloater disc adapters, if you want a set, let me know. Now's the time.

In the mean time, this is Kurts Valkyrie from Minn. I think this is the best example of one I've seen. It may even be sporting a full Mavic drivetrain at the moment, which would make it EVEN AWESOMER.

Hello Pete,
    I have bought this bike from Kurt, the last summer.
    I have make some change, asap I send you pix.

Ciao

Andrea

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Late Pro-Floater

This pic is from '98...its been stripped and built probably a dozen times since then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alasa
    Hello Pete,
    I have bought this bike from Kurt, the last summer.
    I have make some change, asap I send you pix.

Ciao

Andrea

Had I known that Andrea had plans to buy every Mantis left in the world, I wouldn't have sold him mine a couple of years ago!!!

I'm pretty sure that white ProFlo used to be red. Am I right Andrea? =]
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member

Mantis

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Had I known that Andrea had plans to buy every Mantis left in the world, I wouldn't have sold him mine a couple of years ago!!!

I'm pretty sure that white ProFlo used to be red. Am I right Andrea? =]
    You are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao

Andrea

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. I was the designer for Mantis from 1994 till its demise, through my design firm, Kinetic Design Group. I designed the Screaming V, as well as the revised Pro-Floater & Flying V (the CNC lugged versions). Thanks for the pictures, I had remarkably few for my portfolio. I never even scanned the blue brochure, and those are my drawings!

Anybody know how I can get hold of a Screaming V? I have three prototype frames, but they aren't ridable. I 'loaned' mine to the owners when they were trying to sell the company back in '96, but of course I never got it back (ended up disappearing at Ross, of all places-so sad). I don't have a lot of cash to blow on it, but would love one. I've got one of the first prototype revised Pro-Floaters, plus my wife has the MB Action cover shot Flying V (it now has a revised rear end & metallic gray paint job, but R Cunningham himself told me it was the one).

Thanks,
    David
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kineticdg...lio/bikes.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ProFloater

I was reading this thread and thought "I used to ride one of those." Then I thought "hey, I still have one in a box somewhere."

I quit riding it in '98 because the swingarm cracked. I would like any info on where I can get it fixed... also, if you want it, make an offer, I'm clearing out the garage. It's a medium.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    I just Private Messaged ya, thanks!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Mantis Mass

Here's some frame weights.

2nd generation 18" Pro Floater frame with Noleen NR1, Salsa seatpost, seatpost collar, and r derailleur housing.....2804g or 6.16lbs

XCR circa 1984 21" frame, fork, 125ish steel BB, seatpost collar, frame pump, shohlder strap, front and rear rollercams......2722g or 5.98lbs

Flying V circa 1992 18" frame with 110ish steel BB and seatpost collar....2485g or 5.47lbs

I was surprised to see how light the XCR was seeing as its half steel. The Suntour rollercams weighed in at 256g rear and 250g front. The steel fork was 833g..
    That brings us to a total of 1383g for frame, BB, frame pump, seatpost collar, and shoulder strap.
    That's 3.06lbs for a frame and steel BB from 1984. You'd be hard pressed to do that today....and a 21" frame to boot!

mtbr member
    3.06 pounds for a 1984 half alum. half steel frame with a pump, bb, etc. sounds way to good to be true. I would bet those steel stays alone weigh 2.5 pounds.

Are you sure on that?

The lightest hardtail now is 1150 grams. Made of Scandium thats anodized not painted which saves another 100 grams. Thats about what youre saying the Mantis weighs.

If its true, Im impressed. Ive got a Fisher CR-7 frame floating around here that feels closer to 5 pounds.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

It appears I was off by a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    3.06 pounds for a 1984 half alum. half steel frame with a pump, bb, etc. sounds way to good to be true. I would bet those steel stays alone weigh 2.5 pounds.

Are you sure on that?

The lightest hardtail now is 1150 grams. Made of Scandium thats anodized not painted which saves another 100 grams. Thats about what youre saying the Mantis weighs.

If its true, Im impressed. Ive got a Fisher CR-7 frame floating around here that feels closer to 5 pounds.
    I must not have had the BB in the frame when I weighed it the first time. I reweighed the eniter package yesterday and it came to 2987g or 6.57lbs. So the 3.1lbs was probably the frame, seatpost collar, and shoulderstrap.

Perhaps I'll reweight the whole thing as individual pieces next winter; it's such a pain in the ass to put it all back together.

I had this frame built up with basically the same components as a Klein Attitude (size small) and the XCR was lighter. The only thing different in the build was the bars/stem which was a Salsa Pro Moto and Titec 118 on the XCR and the Klein had a 135mm MC1, and the seatpost where the Klein had an IRD and the XCR had a steel Campagnolo post.

mtbr member
    Thats still quite impressive. Especially for steel stays and the fact that it was built in 84. You got me curious and I threw my 18" CR-7 on the scales and I got 6.5 pounds even with the press fit bb, an XT u brake, and no seatpost collar. I figure the U brake probably weighs around 300 grams and the bb probably weighs 150 grams or so. So that leaves the frame weighing right about 5.5lbs. Thats almost twice as much as yours. Maybe Gary used some low grade tubing in his rendition............

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    He did, ya. Well, not so much low-grade as just really really thick. The down tube for instance was about 40 thous thick. I sawed quite a few of those open. Shows how far aluminum has come in the years since. Now we can get most of the same desirable characteristics out of much much thinner tubing. Still, theres something to be said for impact resistance...

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Anyone have or have pics of a Mantis made Pro Floater?

I have only seen them in bike mags. Do any of you out there in reader land have one or some pics? Should have rivited on or screwed in cable stops and a seperate clamp on chome band seatpost clamp.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Um, I dont know if this is what you want, but click here, and go to page 4.
    Herro prease

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Thanks but...

those catalogue scans are already located in this thread. And that would be a Control Tech made Profloater.

mwr
    brain donor
    I'm confused about who produced batches of Pro Floaters. Obviously RC made some in house, then I heard that later (1995+) production was farmed out to Redline, and now Control Tech? Who exactly did what and when?

6x7=Dont Panic!
    those catalogue scans are already located in this thread. And that would be a Control Tech made Profloater.
    Eh, how about the one on first flight bikes?
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwr
    I'm confused about who produced batches of Pro Floaters. Obviously RC made some in house, then I heard that later (1995+) production was farmed out to Redline, and now Control Tech? Who exactly did what and when?
    My early ProFlo was made by Kastan. Well, at least the swingarm was because it was stamped 'Kastan'.

Can I just say, that blue Valkyrie that Andrea now owns is the best looking Mantis I've ever seen. Plus, it's in my size. Andrea, you have to sell it to me eventually, you know that, right?
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Pro Floater Production

RC and the Mantis crew made probably around 100 (1992-early1993) of them in house and they were totally overwelmed by demand so he had Redline(1993-1994) produce them to the tune of 200 or so per year. Redline built the majority of the frame with the Mantis folks providing fittings.
    After the sale of the company Control Tec was sourced to produce the Pro Floater and redesigned Flying V.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Getting closer

That frame has a Redline built front triangle and a Control Tech rear triangle.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Which frame?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Jeff's at FirstFlight

The one TheRedMantra suggested.

mtbr member

Valkyrie

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    My early ProFlo was made by Kastan. Well, at least the swingarm was because it was stamped 'Kastan'.

Can I just say, that blue Valkyrie that Andrea now owns is the best looking Mantis I've ever seen. Plus, it's in my size. Andrea, you have to sell it to me eventually, you know that, right?
    Hi, at this moment I dont sell my Valkyrie, in the future.........may be! I dont know!!

Ciao

Andrea

mtbr member

Mantis

Hello from Italy. This is my mantis. Ciao alasa..sono arrivato pure io.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Holy Guacamole.

That is gonna be hard to top... I think mine's going to wind up looking like this for some time...

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Pretty nice looking bike

Quote Originally Posted by tomac-ve
    Hello from Italy. This is my mantis. Ciao alasa..sono arrivato pure io.
    I sent you a private message as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FSP- What brakes are those on the back of the Trimble in the background? MRC Powerlinks? Might you favor us with a closeup?
    Tim
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    FSP- What brakes are those on the back of the Trimble in the background? MRC Powerlinks? Might you favor us with a closeup?
    Tim
    Hey Up, sure, I'll post a couple pix in the Trimble thread...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    well i was thinking of using my Mantis as a backup as I am picking up a new bike soon. After reading this thread i'm not sure if I should keep riding it or treat it like a vintage bike. It is a 95 polished chrome pro floater with the original paperwork. I have put about 4 thousand or so miles on it. I would be happy to post pictures but there seem to be a lot here already. My original Mantis came with Grip shifts but they bit the dust a good 2 years ago. anyway interesting thread. Also I notice the oil well on the Noleen shock on my bike resides below the coil.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Heck yeah, more pics. That's what we're here for. I'd treat it as a vintage rig at this point. Ride it when you really want to, but savor it while you've got it, cause when it's gone...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cool! Just took it on a nice 3 hour ride through the Santa Monica Mountains. Waiting for my new ride so I will have 2 good bikes.

Here's the pic.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Holy Cats Scoredog,
    You've even got the Critical Racing bits there & everything, eh, stem, brakes, seat collar, vurry nice... How much does that weigh? Nice fork too

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

I'd guess 25.5-26lbs the way it looks there

Holy Cats Scoredog,
    You've even got the Critical Racing bits there & everything, eh, stem, brakes, seat collar, vurry nice... How much does that weigh? Nice fork too
    Although that rear shock is awesome (if it stays in one piece) it is a brick.
    Is that a NR-3 or NR-4?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How do I tell if it's a 3 or 4? I looked but couldn't see anything telling me which. I believe the bike weighs about 27pds but I was going to weigh it this weekend and now i have added incentive. I have put a fairly heavy cushioned saddle on it so that may bring the weight up some.

btw if this shock was to bust, what would be the replacement for it?
    Last edited by Scoredog; 08-06-2004 at 03:30 PM.

desert dweller

My ProFloater

Well, it took some digging to find this photo. I think I took it in'96. My PF is now sitting in front of me waiting to be built up. All I need now is a 9 speed cassette and chain. Originally, she was built XTR, XT shifters, Pauls Stoplights, Syncros ti Propost, Raceface Turbines, EFC with speed springs and 737 pedals.

Now she'll have Grip Shift Betsy Shifters and rear, XTR front derailler, original Race Face cranks, Onza ti-bar ends, Avid Ultimate Levers (older machined ones), Kore Elite stem, Nuke Proof Atom Bomb Wheel Set. I still have my origianl Scott LFX Carbon handlebars (with a crushed end), and finally XT v-brakes. I still have the original Purple Anno. Stoplights -- but with the cable routing in the back as it is, they never had much power on this frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    This right here (if the photo worked) is my current trailbike. Its a 93 Mantis Pro Floater, with the reinforced rear triangle that they came out with later on. On it is a newly added Marzocchi MX Comp brought down to the 1" steer tube. Aside from that, I have alot of classic components on it, all XTR, including some 7 speed XTR Sti's. The hubs are some classic White Industry hubs with some Mavic 217 rims on them. A control-tech stem with a bontrager flatbar, and a sella italia flite ti seat (i bent the ti rails on the original one). This is my current ride, its my dad's old racing bike so while I love the classic mantis frame, I have to be practical and upgrade some things (I'll have enough money to switch to 9 speed and some actual v brake levers for my v brakes, and im going to rebuild teh wheels with new rims). I love my mantis!

poser Administrator
    Wow, so much effort on such a successful failure. I have a mantis XCR-EC circa 1986 that needs new paint and was sold to me by Cambria in the wrong size but I waited so long for it (12months) that I rode it and hated it and loved it too. But then in my lust for all things mantis I got the profloater with the round chainstays, you know the ones, they put the cable guide on the chainstay instead of the gusset plate so it was a huge stress riser? you know the one that broke through that cable guide because the gusset was 2" too short? you know the one where you called, they told you they where waiting for the next shipment in a few months, but when you called back in a few months you got the BooBeee Boop……I'm sorry this number has been disconnected?

Yeah some of you may remember this, and all you who are riding this style of profloater still, check that cable guide for cracks frequently because it is an easy fix as long as it is not yet broken.

And thankfully Cunningham is still selling lies in his post at MBA, convincing everyone that they need a 25lbs 5" travel freeride capable XC race Downhill bike, Some one needs to pull that man out of the 90's. Seriously.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member

XCR EC - Framenumber XCR EC 1

here are some pics of my MANTIS - it was used frome 1990 'till the reartriangle broke in 1993

here in Switzerland it just isn't possible to get a new rearend done for a "normal" amount of money - so it's just layin' around in my garage ...

Want to buy it - give me a ring

Martin
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race" - H.G. Wells

textbook under achiver

Mantis Thread Revival 2005

Like Green?
    1996 model
    Still have all the original components.
    Some in boxes, most are on the bike.
    This one started as a manufactures demo....rep sold it to pay his bills.
    Lucky me.
    I wANt To bE DiffeREnT JusT LiKe EveRyOne eLsE!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast