Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    artistic...
    Ti trailmaster has a specific chainstay length for each size.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a Ti TRailmaster?
    Not a ti Trailmaster, but there is a ti Phoenix around with those dropouts.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a Ti TRailmaster?
    Yep. They were burley. Over 4 pounds just for the frame. There were a couple prototype steel ones, as well - 6 pounds each.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This Koski thread sure brings back memories of the shop, and people who work there! And the frame that was modified for a rear drum brake - I remember that bike in its unpainted state......trick!

VTW

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    that one originally went to neil murdoch, in crested butte.

mtbr member

Koski's in the Moon Derby pile.

Not much to modify to install a drum on the rear (spacing)...But Atom hub axles are like butter....I think the mods they were speaking of previously were about the hub.

Had a great turn out for a Derby garthering last Friday with a warm night and a awesome moon. I think we were riding still at 2am.

Ti Potts below the Cannondale. It is highly recommend not to ride high end boutique bikes to a Derby, they could become a jump.
    One cannot leave their wheels unattended for too long around these operations.
    p
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-pile-101813.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i'm sure folks are more conscientious regarding "stacking" these days. there was no modification to the frame for the atom brake. just extra cable routing and a slider for the brake arm. mike rust modded an atom, reducing the axle from 145mm to 135, and had a run of chrom-mo axles made. it is pretty cool, for an atom.

mtbr member
    TRAILMASTER and other.
    A link to a Bros. site.
    The krunk of the klunk | Peter Verdone Designs
    I want a bash that he makes.

Spin it again
    ??? Wtf ???
    All things Koski-img_5282.jpg

mtbr member
    If I remember right it's some sort of boss for a rail riding attachment?

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by stan lee View Post
    If I remember right it's some sort of boss for a rail riding attachment?
    Which might explain this one as well...

artistic...
    is that rust??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nightshade_Rider;

Do you own that frame? That was Mark Norstads Trailmaster, back in 1982 it was one of the first bikes to Titanium bolts (hand machined by the by) for the Phils on it.

VTW

mtbr member

Re: All things Koski

Quote Originally Posted by victorthewombat View Post
    Nightshade_Rider;

Do you own that frame? That was Mark Norstads Trailmaster, back in 1982 it was one of the first bikes to Titanium bolts (hand machined by the by) for the Phils on it.

VTW
    Isn't that Maya's brother? Whatever happened to him? He was a paragon of machining Ti bolts.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sorry to butt in...
    Not Marks TM but a good friend's of Mark's... the hubs are Mark's (not just the bolts, one can see his initials and date in centers) and the Ti stem is Paragon also.
    The twin to this TM is close by also. The two Gurlly mon's that own them painted them at the same time, that gorgeous multi-color, when they were new and they do still throw them on the piles.
    That rust is not actually rust at all but fine original patinaed protective coating reinforced by beer splash.
    This TM pictured is back in that picture of that Pile, fourth tire up from lower right.
    Is CNC considered handmade?... IDK, but one of the guys on this thread could answer that as he may have been working one of the machines that cut some of the bits of the stem and hubs pictured.

Spin it again
    Nightshade_Rider;

VTW
    A bit of confusion here ... I think VTW might of been referring to this frame (TM #20) which I asked him about in a PM. Was this black one Mark Norstads?

Just finished building it up ... I'll try and get some decent shots to post up here soon.

All things Koski-150_0987.jpg

mtbr member
    AAHHH...Got it. NICE!
    I could ask him if he remembers his bikes #. Do you have head tube gussets? Or is it a virgin?
    Mark at one time had a bunch of TMs hanging in his old shop though.
    You could PM me what you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mark N's was the only one with gussets on the top and down tubes to the best of my knowledge. I highly doubt their were others, unless Mr. Norstad made additional modifications.....the TM frame weres actually burly even by today's standards both M. Slate and E. Koski broke theirs by unfortunately ramming them into trees.

VTW
    I owned TM #5

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by PiasRoller View Post
    AAHHH...Got it. NICE!
    I could ask him if he remembers his bikes #. Do you have head tube gussets? Or is it a virgin?
    Mark at one time had a bunch of TMs hanging in his old shop though.
    You could PM me what you know.
    No headtube gussets. It's a bit different than the other TMs I have seen in that it has newer-style split housing stops and a plastic cable guide screwed on under the BB.

It is also possible that the housing stops might have been re-brazed at some time, as I see some file marks on one of the stays where a stop is usually located.

All things Koski-150_0967.jpg

shawnw
    nightshade_rider, Can't wait to see a photo spread now thats it's finished. Please give your Trailmaster it's own Thread.

velocipede technician
    +1.
    looking for 20-21" P team

Spin it again
    both M. Slate and E. Koski broke theirs by unfortunately ramming them into trees.
    Yeah, no doubt! That fork is so stout it sure isn't gonna cry uncle before the headtube gives out.

Spin it again

Prototype DuraTrac fork?

I came across this unusual DuraTrac fork today. It has elegant scalloped dropouts smoothly transitioning to the socket rather than the deeply shrouded ones you typically see. And the blades are noticeable beefier than the normal DuraTrac.

Pre-production proto? Maybe someone here has seen these before.

All things Koski-150_1005.jpg

All things Koski-150_1010.jpg

All things Koski-150_1017.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow, that is a cool fork, I've never seen one like it.

mtbr member
    pretty sure it is not Koski. I know that both Tange (they made some Koski's) and Spinner made forks soon after the DT was released and there was nothing they could do about it.

One little note...Early DTs had ATB cast in the drop-outs and later ones Koski.

mtbr member
    Koski sold the blades to builders. I don't think that's a Koski though. Koski blades should taper from 1" to 3/4" at the bottom I believe.

Will post pics of my Steve Potts Type II with Koski Dura Trac blades soon.

Spin it again
    pretty sure it is not Koski. I know that both Tange (they made some Koski's) and Spinner made forks soon after the DT was released and there was nothing they could do about it.
    It's kinda disappointing to learn the fork is likely a knockoff but I guess it should be expected - the DuraTrac was a good fork that was gaining market among the higher end builds, and others obviously took notice.

Here are some other shots of the fork - steerer attachment is very different between it and the DuraTrac.

All things Koski-150_1023.jpg

All things Koski-150_1020.jpg

All things Koski-150_1024.jpg

Spin it again
    and here they are on a landshark...

Koski forks - Page 2 | Retrobike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider View Post
    and here they are on a landshark...

Koski forks - Page 2 | Retrobike
    I still don't think it's a spinner or tange, there are little differences like the round bosses and the longer, concave scalloped dropouts. It does look like the one on the Landshark...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider View Post
    It's kinda disappointing to learn the fork is likely a knockoff but I guess it should be expected - the DuraTrac was a good fork that was gaining market among the higher end builds, and others obviously took notice.

Here are some other shots of the fork - steerer attachment is very different between it and the DuraTrac.

]
    That dropout is definitely not a Koski. It is cast which means it is from a big manufacturer (probably Tange). The blades could possibly be. What do they measure at the bottom? Another unique trait to the blades is that they were bent over a much larger radius than the standard fork then. Most forks then had their rake put in on the bottom third of the fork leg whereas the Koski started up near the crown.

As for that cold set reinforcement in the bottom of the steerer tube, that would be a builder's option. I have Koskis with that and some without.

mtbr member
    One little note...Early DTs had ATB cast in the drop-outs and later ones Koski.
    Like This:

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Another unique trait to the blades is that they were bent over a much larger radius than the standard fork then. Most forks then had their rake put in on the bottom third of the fork leg whereas the Koski started up near the crown.
    Here:

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    That's a nice fork T, how long is the steerer?

Steve

mtbr member
    Not short, not long. Never measured it

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    That dropout is definitely not a Koski. It is cast which means it is from a big manufacturer (probably Tange). The blades could possibly be. What do they measure at the bottom? Another unique trait to the blades is that they were bent over a much larger radius than the standard fork then. Most forks then had their rake put in on the bottom third of the fork leg whereas the Koski started up near the crown.
    Hey FB - the blades measure .800" near the dropouts compared to .750" for the DTs. And 1.125" near the crown compared with 1.00" for the DT. Visually beefier.

And yes they have that gentle constant radius bend from crown to dropout like the DTs.

I think you and PiasRoller are correct in suggesting the blades (and entire fork) is a Tange knockoff. It would be interesting to know if the wall thickness tapers down the length of the blades like the real DTs, but I don't think I'm gonna cut them apart to find out.

Stokeless Asshat
    Real Koski or not, it's a nice fork.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member

MN's Trailmaster

Mark's bike has machined drop-outs. There was only two built with these drop-outs...the other one was shipped to Sweden or zomtingk.
    I have a couple more pic.s I can post of Mark's ride later but want to post some cool news.
    Ya..suure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-photo-11.jpg  

All things Koski-photo-12.jpg  

mtbr member

New Koski Forks?

Get this...there will be a small batch of Koski forks made. These will be made in a similar style to Donny's original design he had Cook Bros. make back in the day for the Bombing community. These were used by everyone, including JB and GF, on there bikes because it was essentially the first ATB fork.

These new forks will be done with a 1" machined steer, for all you forkless Klunkers out there, that will increase in diameter where the 'Uni-crown' blades will be welded.
    There are other cool twists to this Bomber fork, such as new style drop-outs and different brake type mount options.

The size of the first run on the the DK 'Bro-line Fork' will depend on the demand.

Interested? Let us know ASAP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-kimg0162.jpg  

mtbr member
    I want a Trailmaster for my collection. Dig this thread.

Sweet bike there.

Mark's bike has machined drop-outs. There was only two built with these drop-outs...the other one was shipped to Sweden or zomtingk.
    I have a couple more pic.s I can post of Mark's ride later but want to post some cool news.
    Ya..suure.

Can someone please post a pic of what bolts to the back of the head tube and seat stays of these frames?

Steve

mtbr member
    PR,
    How many of these bikes were modified to ride the rails? Any pictures of the setup in action?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Get this...there will be a small batch of Koski forks made. These will be made in a similar style to Donny's original design he had Cook Bros. make back in the day for the Bombing community. These were used by everyone, including JB and GF, on there bikes because it was essentially the first ATB fork.

These new forks will be done with a 1" machined steer, for all you forkless Klunkers out there, that will increase in diameter where the 'Uni-crown' blades will be welded.
    There are other cool twists to this Bomber fork, such as new style drop-outs and different brake type mount options.

The size of the first run on the the DK 'Bro-line Fork' will depend on the demand.

Interested? Let us know ASAP.
    Hot damn! This is great news! That is a beautiful bike....omg.

Also, put me in for a tee shirt, he he happens to ever have a small or xs one.

mtbr member
    20 first.

mtbr member
    20 first.
    I sent a pm - please put me down for one!

Certified Bike Junkie
    These will be made in a similar style to Donny's original design he had Cook Bros. make back in the day for the Bombing community.
    Very cool. When you say "original" are you refering to the straight non-tapered leg style like on the TM above or the tapered leg style either straight or curved?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stan lee View Post
    I sent a pm - please put me down for one!
    Stan Lee is reeking of desperation.

mtbr member
    Please, please, please, please.

If you think my post seems desperate you should have seen my PM!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    pick me, pick me! yes, i want one.

Ok, so until one of you guys posts a pic of this "rail rider" contraption, I am going to assume that it never existed, and the mounting points on these frames were put there so you West Coast guys could bolt your bikes to each other, so you wouldn't fall over when riding together.

Steve

velocipede technician
    I hear the east coast should be getting google soon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy View Post
    Very cool. When you say "original" are you refering to the straight non-tapered leg style like on the TM above or the tapered leg style either straight or curved?
    DK asked Cook Bros. to make 26" forks for Bombers based on their BMX fork design.
    CBR forks are on both JB's and GF's original nickel plated bikes.

The new fork will be built with the same look as a Cook's but with a different but similar drop-out, larger diameter tubing at the legs, machined steer and Paragon cantilever bosses that have removable posts. Some will come without brake bosses.
    Will have an update next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    the railbike is not fiction. people have been making bikes adapted to train tracks for quite a long time. but the real stories are of the freight train hopping.

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    nightshade_rider, Can't wait to see a photo spread now thats it's finished. Please give your Trailmaster it's own Thread.
    I posted some pictures of TM #20 here

mtbr member

New Donny Koski Fork

This is a fork for all the Bomber's out there who have been starved for a nice Cook Bros. fork (Ouch $$$$) or something similar.
    Handmade in Northern California with a new patent pending dropout.
    They have 1" dia. blades with clearance for a 2.4 tire, 1" machined single piece steer and Paragon cantilever boss' (posts removable).
    Some will be made without boss' for the drummers out there.
    This first batch will be available in black or white powder coating.
    On the dropout sides the Kski is cut through while the Koski down the "Fying Fin" dropout will be machined in but not through and will be highlighted by one of the contrasting colors.

PM me if interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-screen-shot-2013-11-16-2.37.35-pm.jpg  

Certified Bike Junkie
    Thats pretty bad ass. Ya know though, it kinda needs a new frame to go with it.

Is this likely to be one of those things that since I'm asking how much it's going to be...I won't be able to afford it?

Steve

mtbr member

New Koski Fork!

In production!

* the modeled image shows a hole near the top of the DP...It will not be there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-screen-shot-2013-11-26-8.42.06-pm.png  

All things Koski-screen-shot-2013-11-26-8.11.36-pm.png  

mtbr member

Koski Klunk drop-outs

The Bomber forks ready soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-dk-drop-outs.jpg  

mtbr member

A thing Koski

This is DK003. The complete first batch will be ready shortly.
    Will also get back to the PMs when all are ready and I know exactly how many of what set-ups are available.
    Thx
    p
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-img_20140127_201158.jpg  

All things Koski-img_20140127_201007.jpg  

Koski clipless pedals?

Koski Brand New Clipless Pedals 9 16 | eBay

seems odd they came off a Mongoose.

Steve

mtbr member

1" Steer Koski Bomber forks

Blk or wht powder coat and bare.

Cantilevers or none.

8-1/2" machined steer threaded down to 5-1/2" with a thickened collar at the crown.

PM if interested.

thx
    p
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-dk-wht.-crown.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    OK, a couple more to add. Nickel plated version...fork #DKO17.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-nickle.jpg  

All things Koski-dk-drop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    finally got enough of the right stuff to build this bike properly. next week, pearl pass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-dscn0876.jpg  

All things Koski-dscn0878.jpg  

All things Koski-dscn0881.jpg  

All things Koski-dscn0883.jpg  

Spin it again
    Looks like you are ready to rock 'n roll!

I suspect that granny ring won't be quite as shiny by the time you drop into Aspen...

mtbr member
    What bars are those?
    Cool setup BTW!

mtbr member
    Don KOSKI will be at Interbike - FYI

mtbr member
    Bars look like Specialized X-1 aluminum.

The bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

more koski

i finally put that cunningham type 2 back on the shelf where it belongs(for now).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-dscn0890.jpg  

All things Koski-dscn0886.jpg  

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by den haag View Post
    i finally put that cunningham type 2 back on the shelf where it belongs(for now).
    I hope you at least put it on the top shelf

Koski looks like its ready for action.

mtbr member

Sorry to clutter up this thread...but,

The Bro-Bomber (one SS and the other with gears) and the Bro-trail built around a 140mm fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-koski-clr.-w-gears.jpg  

All things Koski-koski-ss.jpg  

All things Koski-koski-trail.jpg  

mtbr member
    The Bro-Bomber (one SS and the other with gears) and the Bro-trail built around a 140mm fork.
    These are fantastic...

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Those look absolutely great. I think that the only other frame I have liked design wise that has been brought to the "modern" age has been the 26" Quadangle. This is a classic that can now certainly be right at home with any modern bike made.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member

Ti Trailmaster

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-2015-01-01-20.06.24.jpg  

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Daaaamn. Glad to see it dirty. How does it ride?
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

artistic...
    First time i ever see a Ti Trailmaster.

Retro on Steroids
    Alan Bonds showed up at the coffee house on a new Koski bike. (Alan is sitting at far right in top photo) He clear-coated it so you can see the welding. Dropouts are as beefy as dropouts can be, with the signature right-angle flange.

All things Koski-koski1.jpgAll things Koski-koski2.jpgAll things Koski-koski3.jpgAll things Koski-koski4.jpgAll things Koski-koski5.jpg

mtbr member
    Koski Bro-Bomber in Redline Red.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-img_2668-1024x768-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lots of fun on true singletrack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-koski-2015.jpg  

mtbr member

Alan Bond's Koski Bro-Bomber

...Blackies Pasture Build looks sweet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-20150216_104534-999x562-.jpg  

All things Koski-20150216_104928-1-999x562-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lots of slick tricks... Magura lever covers over Shimano SLX brakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-magura-m.jpg  

mtbr member
    Cool...mini bars?...love the Koski seat.
    I have one with Rastafarian colors left.
    Ya..mon.
    These bikes with the moto bars feel like Trailmasters!

artistic...
    Koski Bro-Bomber in Redline Red.
    that thing is pure bike lust.

mtbr member
    So I hope this is the best thread to ask this question:

Does anyone know the correct OD of a Trailmaster seat post? After stripping my original frame, I notice that it had the wrong seat post. I am going to have to make a tool, to reswedge the ID larger, so if anyone has an original dimension to shoot for I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    So I hope this is the best thread to ask this question:

Does anyone know the correct OD of a Trailmaster seat post? After stripping my original frame, I notice that it had the wrong seat post. I am going to have to make a tool, to reswedge the ID larger, so if anyone has an original dimension to shoot for I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Thank you so much!

I will take a pic of the tool I use. basically an old Ashtabula stem, inside a machined sleeve that goes into the frame.

After making a slotted 26.8mm OD sleeve with a 22.2mm ID (Ashtabula size) I just install, expand, reinstall, re expand, move around and gradually work the pinched seat tube back out to the correct ID.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Does anyone have a riding experience with the bro bomber? I have been sneaking around that framset quite a while now. but would like to know more about it. Who rides it rigid and who uses the 100mm suspension?

Thanks

Moritz

velocipede technician
    Trailmaster party at the April fools derby

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Angel Island Meet FTW! So cool they still do it. Saw the video is up already.

Spin it again

Koski Trailmaster RB-2 catalog

Here is a scan of the early Koski Trailmaster RB-2 catalog. Interesting that Erik Koski's preferred build was a single chainring with cyclocross bash guards, and a modified wide-ratio freewheel with 38T big cog. Early 1x setup when all the rage was 2x6 or 3x6 MTB drivetrains.

All things Koski-cover.jpg

All things Koski-rb2_specs.jpg

All things Koski-fullsizerender-13-.jpg

All things Koski-fd_mods.jpg

mtbr member
    Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Don let me borrow his bike this weekend. Rides nicer than I expected, and the angles are just right for plowing through the twisties at top speed.

mtbr member
    Is this a Koski fork for 300 or best offer on ebay?
    Vintage Koski Mountain Bike Fork | eBay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All things Koski-koski-fork-maybe.jpg  

All things Koski-koski-fork-maybe-2.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12