DFA
    mtbr member

With all the pics/stories of exploded Tioga Disc Drives....

There must be people who stripped their broken wheels and tossed the mounting hardware in boxes/bins in their parts stashes. I need to find 2 sets to build up 2 wheels, and can't find anything. If someone has the gubbins tucked away, help a brother out so I can get these damn things built.

Then I need to find frames that will suit the wheels...............

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    would it be possible to have the mounting bolts made?

(I know nothing of manufacturing, tooling, etc...). I saw the thread where the dude made his own wheels out of kevlar string and leftover bolts/hangers/thingamajiggy. Surely it is possible to have the hardware reconstructed, no?

don't community colleges have shops with CNC milling equipment available? perhaps it could be some sort of project to mill these things out.

(Heck, I always wanted to go back to school just to take shop classes... it's just that I have no time at the present.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    hmm, that got me thinking, simple google search gets me here: CNC Machine Shop | Custom Waterjet, Plasma, Laser Cutting | eMachineShop.com . So now it's a question to see if it is possible to replicate the hardware and the cost for a bucket of bolts.

VRC Illuminati
    Send me one of the wheels if its a blue one.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Uh, I made that post from my desk at work. When I've got all our CNC machines programmed and they're up and running, I usually sit around and surf the net.

I'd really like to find the OEM parts, including the special spokettes and the little plastic collars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA View Post
    Uh, I made that post from my desk at work. When I've got all our CNC machines programmed and they're up and running, I usually sit around and surf the net.

I'd really like to find the OEM parts, including the special spokettes and the little plastic collars.
    that was my point exactly - my approach would be to take a 3d image (maybe wax impression) of OEM parts from an unbuilt wheel, then CNC the replicas.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamalucky2 View Post
    that was my point exactly - my approach would be to take a 3d image (maybe wax impression) of OEM parts from an unbuilt wheel, then CNC the replicas.
    I don't think you understand the work/time involved in the prototyping process (or the costs involved in duplicating plastic parts). From a cost effective standpoint your suggestion makes no sense. For the time involved, I can do work for our customers at shop rate, take my cut of the money, buy the next 2 built wheels that come up on ebay, make wind chimes out of the 2 sets of tension disk halves that I have now, and still have money left over (not to mention using said extensive amount of time to do ther stuff.......like ride).

And the crux of the matter is I want the wheels to be OEM. The parts I want are out there. I just need to find people who kept them and tucked them away when they disassembled their broken wheels and come to some sort of an agreement with them.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Send me one of the wheels if its a blue one.
    Send me the mounting hardware you have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't think you understand the work/time involved in the prototyping process (or the costs involved in duplicating plastic parts). From a cost effective standpoint your suggestion makes no sense. For the time involved, I can do work for our customers at shop rate, take my cut of the money, buy the next 2 built wheels that come up on ebay, make wind chimes out of the 2 sets of tension disk halves that I have now, and still have money left over (not to mention using said extensive amount of time to do ther stuff.......like ride).

And the crux of the matter is I want the wheels to be OEM. The parts I want are out there. I just need to find people who kept them and tucked them away when they disassembled their broken wheels and come to some sort of an agreement with them.
    fair enough - like i said, I have no clue about manufacturing or tooling, or cost assessment. (thats one of the strange things about hobbies - professionals will value x activity at one price, while a hobbyist will value it at another - since the hobbyist is doing it himself).

You are correct - if you want oem parts then reproductions won't cut the mustard.

Unfortunately I don't have any broken wheels otherwise I would share.

Ambivalent Luddite
    Hey DFA - I've got a complete wheel in decent shape that you could strip for parts, plus I have 10 nipples NIB.
    Last edited by Retro Dude; 02-02-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo

inFATuated

Will work for VRC parts...

DFA
    mtbr member
    Now we're cookin' with propane. PM'd you RD.

VRC Illuminati
    Send me the mounting hardware you have.
    Wish I had spares. Its all got a home I'm afraid. Looks like RD has a hook up.
    -eric-

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Dude View Post
    plus I have 10 nipples

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used one on my singlespeed for a couple of years, loved it!, one of the kevlar strands came out of the nipple, looks like I could release tension on the other nipples, insert the kevlar strand into the nipple mount, then re-true the wheel.
    Mine was laced to an NOS Araya rim, I used a SRAM 9.0 disc hub. The SRAM hub had the required hub flange dims and with a removable 6 bolt disc mount.
    I will post pictures soon of the bike with the wheel mounted( I have to find those pics) and pics un mounted.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I used one on my singlespeed for a couple of years, loved it!, one of the kevlar strands came out of the nipple, looks like I could release tension on the other nipples, insert the kevlar strand into the nipple mount, then re-true the wheel.
    Mine was laced to an NOS Araya rim, I used a SRAM 9.0 disc hub. The SRAM hub had the required hub flange dims and with a removable 6 bolt disc mount.
    I will post pictures soon of the bike with the wheel mounted( I have to find those pics) and pics un mounted.

Ya, I kinda wanna see that. Surprised it didn't fail on ya.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Do you still have the 10 extra Tioga Disc Drive nipples by any chance?

please let me know.

thanks,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Dude View Post
    Hey DFA - I've got a complete wheel in decent shape that you could strip for parts, plus I have 10 nipples NIB.