Thread: All Brooks

All Brooks

Bit the bullet yesterday and replaced all my seats with Brooks B-17s. After trying several modern designs, I decided that the weight of Brooks was worth the comfort.

Stokeless Asshat
    Being a fan myself, I can understand how big of a bullet that is.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Like my dad used to say "Buy quality, cry once." Now time to dig out the Lon Haldelman saddle break-in instructions.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think all but one of my 16 or 17 built-up, rideable bikes has either a Brooks, Wright, Ideale, or Selle Anatomica. Including my half of the tandem...

I have found the Wright saddles to be quite good, interestingly. They seem to hold up much longer than Brookses of the same age, which is useful, since they stopped making Wrights in the mid 70s.

My first leather seat was an Ideale which sadly was stored where moistures and mice destroyed it or I'd still be riding it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Totally agree, I am a huge fan of all three but Ideale 89 and 90s have such a soft spot in my heart. I actually just picked a really nice Ideale 90 with copper rivets. I think I am going to replace my B17 on my original MB1 with it...... super pretty.

Humanoid Lobster
    Has anyone tried the (very new, not vintage) Brooks Cambium yet? I keep looking at it and trying to convince myself to try one. The price holds me back. (It's not too badly priced, it's just that it costs as much as ebay'ing most of the saddles that I already know that I like.)

I just decided to put a Brooks Professional that's date stamped 1973 that I had in storage onto my commuter . It's about as broken in as they get without being Broken.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    Has anyone tried the (very new, not vintage) Brooks Cambium yet? I keep looking at it and trying to convince myself to try one. The price holds me back. (It's not too badly priced, it's just that it costs as much as ebay'ing most of the saddles that I already know that I like.)

I just decided to put a Brooks Professional that's date stamped 1973 that I had in storage onto my commuter . It's about as broken in as they get without being Broken.
    I have a hard time paying another $75 for a saddle made from rubber and canvas. It might be the best saddle ever, but it's still not worth more than a standard B-17 IMO.

Stokeless Asshat
    I'm a die hard leather zealot but the C-17 is the nicest saddle I've ever used. The bonus is that it's fully user serviceable.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

I spoke with two C-17 saddle users who converted from B-17s and they are huge fans. Still, I broke in one saddle using the Lon Haldeman method yesterday and today and will get the other done Sunday/Monday. Pretty slick, two rides and about 15 miles and it feels great.

mtbr member
    How many 3 speeds do you own Forster?

Quote Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
    How many 3 speeds do you own Forster?

Based on your history, I'm guessing my bikes are all three speeds when you count the gears. Ever post anything interesting?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Based on your history, I'm guessing my bikes are all three speeds when you count the gears. Ever post anything interesting?
    This doesn't make any sense.

Good luck with your Raleighs.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
    This doesn't make any sense.

Good luck with your Raleighs.
    Move along, your sense of humor does nothing for me. Nor does your attitude. How you're still a member here, with all the positive things you contribute to threads that previously were doing fine without you, is beyond me, and something that may merit consideration if it continues in the future.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Move along, your sense of humor does nothing for me. Nor does your attitude. How you're still a member here, with all the positive things you contribute to threads that previously were doing fine without you, is beyond me, and something that may merit consideration if it continues in the future.
    I like your style.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.