RFC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Advice please re restoration of a 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Although I have been happily reducing my C&V holdings, this Stumpjumper Sport found its way to my house. I've always wanted to try one of these early bi-plane fork MTBs.

Mechanically, its in great condition and very ride able. And, with the exception of seat, seat post and peddles, appears to be stock. The SS # is M2H35209 and both chain stay and the fork have the same hand etched number in the photo below.

However, I am not a fan of C&V "patina" and this one has more than I like. So, I'm considering powdercoat and these old Stumpies look great with a crisp finish.

But, before I go that route, I wanted to get your advice if there is a good intermediate method to improve and/or restore the original paint. As is stands now, this would be a difficult and sloppy touchup project. And, it is often difficult to match pearl grays.

Thanks All

mtbr member
    Try and remove the crank arms and bottom bracket, these may be froze in place making powder coat difficult or impossible. Nice ride too!

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    That bike needs Stumpy tires to go with it, or at least the later Tri-Cross at the minimum.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

CS2
    mtbr member
    Can't wait to see it done.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I also have a 83 SJ Sport, although the SN indicates mine was made in August of 82.
    Mine has similar patina, which I like, but appears to be in slightly better condition. Mine has Mafac canti's not the Dia-Compe as your has, dont know if they came either or?
    Anyway, nice find, I commute on mine ever so often, the things a rocket, I enjoy the ride!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Just how many versions of Stumpjumper were available in 83? I've seen them with XT, Mafac and DiaCompe brakes.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    I don't think XT brakes were around in 83.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    I don't think XT brakes were around in 83.
    My 83 had XT brakes.

mtbr member
    I stand corrected! Is "XT" printed on the brakes?

Shimano History

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

I'd get it powdercoated

I did a color and a clear to an 84 sport and was really pleased with the outcome. You should powdercoat the bullmoose handlebars also. I went with a darker shade of silver, the 83 stumpie silver has a little gold/taupe shade to it that is nice. That sport silver is just really flat. Mine was rusted up way more than yours and it turned out great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Clean that classic up!

Strip that frame and paint it as close to the original as possible. I would just clean up the bars rather than paint them. Bullmoose bars represent the best years of the Stumpjumper's, you don't want them to blend in, they should stand out! You can also get time period correct decals for the bike on Ebay for $38 or so. Well worth it to keep it original looking. Clean up or replace with vintage components what ever needs it.
    I had some scratches on my 1984 Stumpjumper SC that needed to be dealt with recently. I found a nail polish color that was as close a match as I was going to find. Has the sparkle it needed to look right too.
    Good luck with your project, don't cut corners, and show us the results when completed!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    I stand corrected! Is "XT" printed on the brakes?

Shimano History
    No they're the old 700 series which is considered XT or Deerhead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think yours might be an 82 rather than 83. It is my understanding that the 1st number on the serial number indicates the year (M"2"H35209)the frame was made.

I currently have several SJ 's ranging from 81 to 86 and I've had several others that I bought and sold leading up to the collection I have now. I've had a few 83's both sport and non sport. The upper rear rack braze on's on yours don't look like the ones I've seen on my 83's, but they do look like the ones on my 81 ( another reason why I think it may be an 82 frame). The parts also look older than what I've seen on my 83's.

I think what you might have is a 1st generation sport. Although the sports aren't generally coveted as much by collectors as the regular SJs, if it is one of the first ones made, it's more collectable because there weren't that many 82's made( 500 I think)

I've also had a couple of them powder coated/ decaled /polished and restored to like new.

...and then, there was one I was very disappointed with. It was the same sandblasting prep and powder coating shop that had done such a nice job before. Some of the pitting texture from the surface rust transferred thru the powder coat. It wasn't his fault, but I hated it. The powder coater said maybe it could be sanded / filled and coated again, but it would be expensive. I cut my losses and sold it cheap to someone who wasn't bothered by it.

Lesson learned: look closely at your frame. Those hand engraved serial numbers could be an issue if they are deep. They might come thru. Take it to your powder coater and have him scrutinize it with you before you commit

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feez View Post
    I think yours might be an 82 rather than 83. It is my understanding that the 1st number on the serial number indicates the year (M"2"H35209)the frame was made.
    I have an 83 that looks similar but had Sugino AT crank and Shimano M700 brakes & levers. Specialized did a lot of mid year changes based on what parts were available. It really is hard to tell.