IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati

Abominable Trimble

This one has been a long time coming. Not done but good for display for now until I find of things to really finish it off.

photo 1C502C5C-2611-4475-9DD3-F8F71BEDD21B_zpsv5kosbbm.jpg

photo 18494C8B-C31A-4B60-A215-0C530CF7C0EC_zpsgqc5ighm.jpg

photo DDC740F0-4CC1-4CA2-84A7-F52632C94680_zpsen05zenm.jpg

photo 47AC709F-3C27-4BC0-94BA-A30BD57B4456_zps1yh8kehd.jpg

photo DD4CF453-B2A5-4C3F-8EA2-EFF45C1149DC_zpsz23qx7zl.jpg

photo 047B2D07-8DA3-42AE-98D8-97DF8E937BF4_zps9qctrkc2.jpg

photo 49DBAFAA-2F4B-4052-AE7D-3A06A1479ECC_zpsslosxuwj.jpg

photo AD747704-7B5E-44FE-AF52-444E0719DCEC_zpska7vegpu.jpg

photo 890489AF-4774-446C-8616-DDE719DD4C65_zpstxbvixef.jpg

photo D9C945C5-FFA1-4D09-AFD4-4E0BA7AEED5C_zpspyrtrwy3.jpg

photo B89E281B-FE0D-43DF-8BD2-1C5387DD8204_zpsus1szwvk.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have an older Trimble with the U brakes. I am ridding it as a single speed. Do have some modern items on it. It was a unique frame at the time, but the BB does flex. Have pictures of the Zebra Trimble at Worlds in 1990.

mtbr member
    Sick! Wonder how it would fare against a fat bike in the snow
    Now With Avatar!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Holy smokes those are some long studs. Do they actually stand up tall when riding on ice? I'd think they would be all squirmy and fold over.

Very cool bike, workin' with a theme is always fun.

Do tell, what's the in background? Looks like really old wood, but then, it also looks like art, made to look like old wood....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Stokeless Asshat
    That is badass!!! And I have a real distaste for Trimbles.

Any clue as to who did the tires and who did the paint?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Stokeless Asshat
    That's the band stand Mendon. Drawbridge style.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Holy smokes those are some long studs. Do they actually stand up tall when riding on ice? I'd think they would be all squirmy and fold over.

Do tell, what's the in background? Looks like really old wood, but then, it also looks like art, made to look like old wood....

Want:

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I've homebrew studded a few tires in my time and that technique is a new one on me... And looks sketchy as hell.

The bike, though, looks awesome. I'd love to take a trimble for a spin - such unique (and IMO cool) looking bikes! The spider paint is a really nice touch :-)

I got these tires off of eBay a while back. They are totally stupid and would ride like **** but but so do Trimbles. It's for the comedy of it all.

The background was a castle drawbridge that I converted into a music stage for the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    That is badass!!! And I have a real distaste for Trimbles.

Any clue as to who did the tires and who did the paint?

I have the same distaste for I've alway's dug this bike. Go figure.

I have no idea who did the paint. This is what the seller of the tires told me:
    "The work was done right here in Northern California.
    Seaside, Ca.
    Randal Blazina did the work, at the time he built high end
    road and
    mtb."

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    I've homebrew studded a few tires in my time and that technique is a new one on me... And looks sketchy as hell.

The bike, though, looks awesome. I'd love to take a trimble for a spin - such unique (and IMO cool) looking bikes! The spider paint is a really nice touch :-)
    Sketchy as hell is accurate. It is amazing how well done it is though. Every stud is perfectly placed. Can't image how long this would have taken to do.

artistic...
    Reminds me of when i had nightmares all the time.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Cool Bike and shop! Now I have another reason to go back up to Portland. The Belmont Historic Fire House, have you seen it? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Histo...87102317989303

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    That bike rocks, head to toe.

Tires remind me of "Hellraiser"...love 'em. Gotta weigh a ton though.

Seriously cool, and thanks for posting.

Steve

mtbr member
    Yeah, that pic reminds me of the stud-job I once did with golf spikes, the old-school kind they don't allow on greens anymore. These are "snow studs," normally studs are low-profile for ice.

Well, the point isn't riding on ice, but all sorts of packed-powder conditions. Once upon a time, I used to try riding a regular MTB in winter, craziness of youth I suppose. I worked ski resorts for 3 winters, saw and collaborated on all sorts of funky contraptions -- including replacing the front wheel with a half-ski. Gave it up. Mebbe this is why I love fatbikes, who'd o' thunk wider is better than spikier!
    Denver Broncos: 99-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home. Welcome back, Demaryius!

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Snow spikes, eh? Never heard of those. Back home in Alaska where winter cycling was common (eg. there was a downhill race between cross country skiers and mountain bikers), studs were for ice and volume was for snow. You'd run any of the few big 2.5 tires (or multiple tires) on custom welded or riveted together rims. I knew guys who were custom making fat bikes in the early 90s (did the original repair to my Phoenix), and other guys who were welding together the rims to make the first snowcat rims (sold me my Phoenix).
    I personally didn't have that kind of money so it was a pair of smoke magnums and a big box of sheet metal screws to get me as far out there as possible (a really bad setup :-) )

The hellraiser has no redeeming winter riding value I can see other than ripping you up as your bike impales you after kicking you off...
    Still looks wicked, though.

mtbr member
    I personally didn't have that kind of money so it was a pair of smoke magnums and a big box of sheet metal screws to get me as far out there as possible (a really bad setup :-) )
    Back in the early 90's on a chairlift-operator budget, custom welding was too expensive and 2.5 tires didn't exist yet; the idea was to make do with what was available -- which didn't include studded bike tires off-the-shelf from the LBS! Rode my golf-spike rear tire on hilly, sled-packed forest roads around Leadville. The golf spikes really bit into that and allowed climbing, but other than that, yeah no value. Just an experiment, and the pic in this thread is the only setup I've seen that comes close.

I used sheet-metal screws for the soles of my work Sorels -- I was a bump-every-chair liftie not a slacker. Fixed-grip triple chairs weigh around 350lbs empty, and come at you @ 500 ft/minute (like blocking an NFL lineman every few seconds). When it's icy by the control pedestal, traction is required! We (a couple other guys and a gal from my lift crew) naturally adapted this to our bike tires, then tried golf spikes, and were the only people we knew who even tried to MTB the backcountry in winter.
    Denver Broncos: 99-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home. Welcome back, Demaryius!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture View Post
    Sketchy as hell is accurate. It is amazing how well done it is though. Every stud is perfectly placed. Can't image how long this would have taken to do.
    Oh, absolutely! Excellent ghetto workmanship. Took me two weeks to get one tire done, worked at it for an hour or so before bedtime every day. What made it not worthwhile, is the leverage from long spikes destroys the rubber after several rides, tires just weren't designed to handle those forces -- and my golf spikes weren't as long as the bolts in these pics, those tires don't look like they got rode.

Stokeless Asshat
    Thank you Bikefat for all the bumps. I never fail to thank my lifties on every lap.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefat View Post
    Back in the early 90's on a chairlift-operator budget, custom welding was too expensive and 2.5 tires didn't exist yet; the idea was to make do with what was available -- which didn't include studded bike tires off-the-shelf from the LBS! Rode my golf-spike rear tire on hilly, sled-packed forest roads around Leadville. The golf spikes really bit into that and allowed climbing, but other than that, yeah no value. Just an experiment, and the pic in this thread is the only setup I've seen that comes close.

I used sheet-metal screws for the soles of my work Sorels -- I was a bump-every-chair liftie not a slacker. Fixed-grip triple chairs weigh around 350lbs empty, and come at you @ 500 ft/minute (like blocking an NFL lineman every few seconds). When it's icy by the control pedestal, traction is required! We (a couple other guys and a gal from my lift crew) naturally adapted this to our bike tires, then tried golf spikes, and were the only people we knew who even tried to MTB the backcountry in winter.

Want: