mtbr member
    Nov 2013

98 Stumpy M2 winter build with questions

Okay,
    I posted this in the official stumpy thread but figured it might be better to start my own thread since I will have plenty of questions throughout the winter.
    Here's the history, I obtained a 98 stumpy m2 frame. This will be my "learning mechanics" bike.For some reason, I already have an emotional attachment to the bike so i want to give her as much life as I can. I find myself just sitting in the basement looking at her and daydreaming. I'm sure you know the feeling.
    The bb cartridge was still on the frame but needs replaced, what compatible recommendations do you have? i am ok with something in the 300 dollar range for the bb and crankset. I was thinking of a 2x9 set up. A little more is ok as long as I am buying the right parts.
    This was originally going to be a commuter but I am dying to get it on the trail as well. I have a decent FS so at best the stumpy will be a part time trail and full time commuter.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think you're going to find that your bike doesn't really fit in the Vintage category and especially not 9spd. Most folks here have 7 or 6spds.
    I'd recommend finding some XTR M951 8spd or XT M739 8spd components and fleshing out the bike with correct year parts. You should be able to get a whole bike off CL with these gruppos for less than $300 if you look around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    I think you're going to find that your bike doesn't really fit in the Vintage category and especially not 9spd.
    Thanks for the response.
    Maybe a Mod can move it to a more appropriate category?