mtbr member
    Feb 2007

'98 Marzocchi Z.3 Brake Hanger Question

I have a nice '98 Marz z.3 and I would like to use a cantilever brake on the fork. The bolt-on arch has 2 threaded holes near the top of the arch. Looks to me like a good spot for a cable-hanger for canti brakes. The 2 questions are:
    1) Are the two threaded holes meant for a brake cable hanger?
    2) If so, does anyone have one they could get ride of?
    Thanks!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    They made hangers for them that bolted to that spot.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Like GOB said, there was a hanger that bolted onto the arch. Finding one will likely prove difficult. I tried for a while and finally gave up and machined one! I might part with it, PM me if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info!
    1 cog - PM sent.

mtbr member
    I needed one myself, looked all all LBS, finally after months, found a NOS on **bay. Sorry for the non-close up photo. I was a bit surprised that you can flex that arch with the adapter. Never noticed it with V's on, for obvious reasons...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '98 Marzocchi Z.3 Brake Hanger Question-bonty2011frnt.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog View Post
    I needed one myself, looked all all LBS, finally after months, found a NOS on **bay. Sorry for the non-close up photo. I was a bit surprised that you can flex that arch with the adapter. Never noticed it with V's on, for obvious reasons...
    These are super hard to find. Blimpus on E-bay used to have a few, but $40 is steep unless you HAVE to use Canti's. I've used the 'travel agent' thing with V-brakes and canti levers a few times, and as long as you 'bed' the cable where it goes through the pully, you never have to monkey with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79 View Post
    I have a nice '98 Marz z.3 and I would like to use a cantilever brake on the fork. The bolt-on arch has 2 threaded holes near the top of the arch. Looks to me like a good spot for a cable-hanger for canti brakes. The 2 questions are:
    1) Are the two threaded holes meant for a brake cable hanger?
    2) If so, does anyone have one they could get ride of?
    Thanks!
    I just picked up a 96-97 Z2 with the cable hanger. I do have plans on using it in the future, so its not for sale but it's a pretty simple piece.

I took a pic, sorry for the quality and bling. Its a cell phone pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '98 Marzocchi Z.3 Brake Hanger Question-20130306_235941.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A buddy of mine made a couple for me on a mill. Looks simple, but I'm sure 1cog frog will testify, there are a lot of different 'set-up orientations' for this. Marzocchi cast them, I believe.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    That simple part is indeed tricky to make on a mill. Especially when you don't have the original as a reference. I was going off of pics and measurements I could take from the fork. It was a bit of a process!

This is the perpetual problem with someone asking you to "machine this little part for me". An item that is mass produced is always cheaper than a one off or reproduction/reverse engineered part because of setup and work that has to be done before machining can start.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes. This one becomes difficult to hold onto towards the end, and is worth paying the $$$ for. I used to work at a shop that didn't mind you staying after work to buzz up things on the mills. As a CNC machinist, you would get swamped with 'simple requests'. However, if you didn't care about it looking original, a simple one could be made (@ home) from 'L'-bend aluminum. You could even put a barrel adjuster in for the cable.