mtbr member

98/99 Marzocchi Z3 Questions

I don't know if this should go here or in the Suspension Forum. I figured it was old so this may be a good place to start. I picked up a Marzocchi Z3 and have a few questions.

The stanchions are clamped to the crown and the the steering tube can also be swapped out. The fork has a 1" steering tube which is something I was looking for to replace my old Mag 21 one day.

Because the stanchions are clamped to the crown can I swap the crown out with another if I want to go to 1-1/8"?

Does it have to be a Z3 crown to work with the internals?

Can I swap out the steering tube for a 1-1/8" if I want to go that direction? Do I need a specific steering tube or will a range of Marzocchi tubes work?

I appreciate any info.

Here are a couple of pics...

98/99 Marzocchi Z3 Questions-marzocchi-z3-1.jpg

98/99 Marzocchi Z3 Questions-marzocchi-z3-5.jpg

John

artistic...
    Are you sure it's a 98/99? Anyway, good score. You can swap fro other marz crowns but they abandoned those bolt on crowns and steerers along the way. As for the steerer, i heard you could use RST steerers and they were available on ebay.. i may be wrong.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hang onto the cable hanger , I wish I still had mine. If your interested in a trade........Decals look like 2000.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure of the year I only guessed based on the archived manuals I've seen.

Fred, one of the reasons I wanted this fork was the 1" steerer, but also the cantilever cable hanger. I have a bike with M900 cantilever brakes and I want to keep using them, so for now I plan on holding on to it.

John

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    RST steerers do work, I picked up a couple to have for some of the Marzocchis that I have.

mtbr member
    Do you know if the 1-1/8" steerer is a slightly larger diameter where the steering tube is clamped to the crown, like the picture below, or is it just a straight 1-1/8" tube with a flair on the end?

98/99 Marzocchi Z3 Questions-marzocchi-1-1-8-sterer.jpg

I don't know if this style is for a press-in crown or a clamp-in crown.

Thanks for any info!

John

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the good advice. I'm just going to pick up a couple of RST steerers.

This is all new to me. I think I'll also look for test fork so I can take the internals apart and see how it all works.

John

artistic...
    why are you taking the fork apart? Don't look for trouble...
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    I don't think I was clear. I would like to pick up another Marzocchi spring-oil fork cheap so I could learn to do my own maintenance on these forks and not get into trouble on this one.

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had one of these forks a while back. A few things worth noting:

- You have to remove the crown from the stanchions to get the internals out. The clamping force of the crown makes it impossible to unscrew the top caps otherwise.
    -Pay attention to the torque spec on the crown to stanchion bolts. The crown will crack at the clamp if you over do it.
    - Fresh oil makes a noticeable difference in feel over oil that's been used a season.
    - You can change the oil just by removing the top-caps (and the springs) without having to remove the internals. This is important because getting the pumping rods which bolt onto the bottom of the sliders re-installed is a royal pain. There's no real reason to remove them anyway, they are just basic (very basic, very very basic, very very VERY basic (as in they spike horrible on some hits and wallow horribly on others)) orifice dampers. So to overhaul the fork pull the crown, pull the top caps turn the fork upside down, slide the springs out, pump it a few times to get the oil out and re-assemble.
    -If you have to replace oil seals good luck. The problem is the pumping rods are bolted into the bottom of the sliders. they are plastic so you don't want to over-torque them. Marzocchi assembles them with a specially calibrated impact wrench. When you you try to re-assemble them sans-impact wrench you'll find the pumping rods want to turn as you try and tighten the bolts on the bottom of the sliders.

Also worth noting:

- The air version of these forks just seemed to have different top-caps, the other seals were the same part numbers so if you can find the schrader-valve top-caps you can loose a bit of weight and gain some adjustability.
    - The Z1 damping cartridges are a straight swap from the same model Z1 (you'll need the cartridge and Z1 top-caps).

mtbr member
    Surestick Malone,

Wow! Thanks for the information. Based on what you said, I won't be digging into them if I don't have to. The fork seems really solid and appears to have little use, and it doesn't leak, so I'm just going to change the oil.

Thanks again!

John

mtbr member
    I have the same forks: new oil and heavier springs made a huge difference.

Like Malone said, donít go looking for trouble.

I believe you can find a service/owners manual pdf online at the Marzocchi site. if not search the web, itís out there.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Pshaw....they are dead easy to work on.

I've owned 3 different ones over the years. Use a torque wrench when reassembling btw.....

P.s. nice to know about the RST steerers!
    occasional cyclist