Living Life Behind Bars..

97 Rocky Mountain Altitude T.O. finally.............

well almost. Thanks to Rumpfy for leaving my laundry list up and thanks for all the leads. I bought this bike from a guy who as you can see rarely rode this Tange handbuilt, filet brazed beauty. You may have seen it up on ebay it had no bids so we worked this out after the fact. !9" Altitude team only, Judy SL's, Syncros bb, Race Face cranks ( rings are new ) Syncros post Race Face headset and xtr front der. I threw on the red kings, xt thumby's, Real levers, Machine Tech's, Easton bar and Thompson Stem and of course the Ringle cage.

I am going to throw on a short cage xt rear der. and cycle dynamics ti 8 speed cassette. Just need to get a set of Syncros crank o matics bolts and a set of black canti's ( grafton, Pauls ).

The best part of this project was when I went to a buddies house that is a road rider and he had a box of these mtb parts that he had collecting dust for 10 + years so I scored 2 sets of Thumb's one new, one used a 1" threaded Syncros fork with all decals intact and a complete set of xt canti's.

I had a Vertex team only back in the day and it was the one bike I wish I never sold. This forum really gives you the inspiration to get these projects going. Thx
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Lookin sweet!
    love the look of those brakes.

I love the ride of my norco TNT (tange ultimate superlight tubing). she's been neglected, but since the wife says a bike or two must go, she'll get more love soon, if nothing else, commuting duty.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member

1" syncros fork?

Are you sure it is a 1 inch steerer? I was under the understanding that syncros never did a 1" steerer. If it is, I have been misinformed... sorry laffeaux.
    Canadian Parts on Canadian Bikes in Canada

VRC Illuminati
    Yeeeah, that Syncros fork as a kick down would be just fine by me.

Great find. Looking at what you've got going on there...I'd call that guy a 'Resto Mod'. A bit of old mixed with a bit of new to make the bike exactly what you want! Well done, I'm glad this landed in your garage.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Quote Originally Posted by rhett101
    Are you sure it is a 1 inch steerer? I was under the understanding that syncros never did a 1" steerer. If it is, I have been misinformed... sorry laffeaux.
    I am sure it is a 1" trust me..it would be on this bike if it was'nt. It has a deore headset ( loose ball bearings ) on it. I think King does a devoloution but I am not sure it would work on a threaded steerer ?

I used to have accu~trax on my vertex so I would not be too hard pressed to run her in this bike if it worked. He also had a ti race face stem with that clamp on the bottom but I felt guilty as he refused to take cash so I left it.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I missed it but what kind of brakes are those? They look really sweet.

here's the workmanship on the seat stays

mtbr member
    Very, very nice. Enjoy!
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ndbike
    Sorry if I missed it but what kind of brakes are those? They look really sweet.

Machine Tech. They make cool stuff. Kinda hard to come by.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

UK Biker

That is lush!

Didn't see this thread before but that bike is lush.

Fluff

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Machine Tech. They make cool stuff. Kinda hard to come by.

I have a set... Im not using them....
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

MT rider
    Jan 2004

Good job! Awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    well almost. Thanks to Rumpfy for leaving my laundry list up and thanks for all the leads. I bought this bike from a guy who as you can see rarely rode this Tange handbuilt, filet brazed beauty. You may have seen it up on ebay it had no bids so we worked this out after the fact. !9" Altitude team only, Judy SL's, Syncros bb, Race Face cranks ( rings are new ) Syncros post Race Face headset and xtr front der. I threw on the red kings, xt thumby's, Real levers, Machine Tech's, Easton bar and Thompson Stem and of course the Ringle cage.

I am going to throw on a short cage xt rear der. and cycle dynamics ti 8 speed cassette. Just need to get a set of Syncros crank o matics bolts and a set of black canti's ( grafton, Pauls ).

The best part of this project was when I went to a buddies house that is a road rider and he had a box of these mtb parts that he had collecting dust for 10 + years so I scored 2 sets of Thumb's one new, one used a 1" threaded Syncros fork with all decals intact and a complete set of xt canti's.

I had a Vertex team only back in the day and it was the one bike I wish I never sold. This forum really gives you the inspiration to get these projects going. Thx
    B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!
    Last edited by Mervyn_b; 01-06-2006 at 07:41 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Gorgeous bike! It's kinda tough to see, but is the bb TIG'ed? You say brazed, and the pic of the stays looks that way, or is it just thick paint over fine welds? Have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Gorgeous bike! It's kinda tough to see, but is the bb TIG'ed? You say brazed, and the pic of the stays looks that way, or is it just thick paint over fine welds? Have fun with it!
    Under the bb shell it has a Tom ritchey stamp ?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Under the bb shell it has a Tom ritchey stamp ?
    Ritchey supplied tubing and supplies to a number of companies, Rocky and Specialized to name a few, if that's helpful, and you didn't know already!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    MCM, is that a Ridgeback on your avatar... Anyhow, here is my Vertex Altitude TO (it's my ice bike) with my riding buddy...

mtbr member
    Are you absolutely sure it's a 1" steerer tube 'cause I don't think so. I owned several Rockies in the early/mid 90's and everything was 1 1/8".
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    MCM, is that a Ridgeback on your avatar... Anyhow, here is my Vertex Altitude TO (it's my ice bike) with my riding buddy...

UK Biker

Another sweet Altitude!

Apart from the purple front hub that is!