mtbr member
    Jan 2004

97 Kona King Kahuna painted like a 97 Hot

Just wanted to show off my newest (oldest) addition to my fleet. It's a 17" Kona King Kahuna with a Hot paint job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 97 Kona King Kahuna painted like a 97 Hot-kona-king-kahuna-hot-paint.jpg  

97 Kona King Kahuna painted like a 97 Hot-kona-hot-2.jpg  

97 Kona King Kahuna painted like a 97 Hot-kona-hot-3.jpg  

97 Kona King Kahuna painted like a 97 Hot-kona-hot-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hi, I have to say you went an interesting direction with your frame. I own the same frame as you and have always wanted to own a 1997 Hot as well. Pretty cool how you combined two of my favorite bikes into one (well kind of). I know I could never bring to paint my ti frame but kudos on you for going with something that makes you happy. I know I still love riding mine and hope you get enjoyment out of yours as well, happy riding and thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This frame was painted like this from the factory. It is a factory race frame from 97. Back then konas pro riders were having failure issues with their hot frames (not true..oops). Due to contractual obligations to Columbus steel they painted the titanium bikes like the steel hots to appease columbus.

Here is a reply from Kona tech support inquiring if it could perhaps be an old factory race frame:

"That's an old race team bike. What size is it? I'll take a guess at who it was setup for originally."

"For 17" I'd bet one of the Leslies. Either Greene or Tomlinson."
    Last edited by eshew; 07-30-2012 at 01:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Ha, that is some very cool history you have there then!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What did you use to paint the Frame, which came out very nice BTW! regards Gene

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene465 View Post
    What did you use to paint the Frame, which came out very nice BTW! regards Gene
    Read two posts up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    This frame was painted like this from the factory. It is a factory race frame from 97. Back then konas pro riders were having failure issues with their hot frames. Due to contractual obligations to Columbus steel they painted the titanium bikes like the steel hots to appease columbus.

Board Message
    The link doesn't work for me, but without having read that, the snag with what you have been told is that in fact no Hot was ever made from Columbus tubing.

A different story that is told is that some of the 1997 team riders were apparently discontented with racing Explosifs (which were made of Columbus Max OR). So Kona painted some King Kahunas in the Explosif colour scheme and allowed the race team to race with them - which was apparently consistent with Columbus' sponsorship of the team.

However the Explosif paint was single colour and nothing like a Hot, so I can't see how that story can morph across into an explanation of how your King Kahuna came to be painted Hot-style by Velographics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That could be correct. The hot used Reynolds http://www.konaretro.com/articles/ca...7/97Page08.jpg

Here is a pic of another frame like mine
    Roland Green - CC Weltmeister 2001 und 2002 - Fotoalbum auf MTB-News.de

So after doing a bit of research...the kona hot was painted with the race frame paint jobs for 97. The explosif race bikes were also painted the same but columbus wasnt able to provide the frames soon enough for some riders (began sponsorship in late 96 )hence the ti frames with race paint jobs, and the columbus sponsprship... Confusing.
    Last edited by eshew; 07-27-2012 at 06:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Gorgeous